Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Silky-S3
  • 2 Post By Daveotto
  • 1 Post By neil stait

Thread: Advanced Key....

5th Gear

Status

Advanced Key....

So why don't Audi swop over the start button for right hand drive cars and place it nearer the driver? Seems not a difficult task....
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    I was thinking that just today!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

5th Gear

Status
    One word.....

Cost.

But I fully agree, it looks daft lol
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

4th Gear

Status
    I thought the same ever since i saw the brochure, luckily it's not in any way a hinderence having had it for 3 months...
    Glacier White S3 SB S-Tronic, Super Sport Seats, Pano Roof, Black Roof Rails, LED's, Interior Light Pack, B&O, Sat Nav SD Card, Advanced Key, Acoustic Rear Parking, Rain Sensor, ABT DR 19" Alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    I agree same on my Q7 yet on the A6 of similar age range they fitted them on both sides..... strange eh!
    V8 baby... oh yeah

6th Gear

Status
    A6 probably has high enough margins to cover the cost of making 2 versions of the central console. Can't say it bothers me too much, I didn't even think anything of it being over there or that the engine button should be closer to you than the media controls - in fact it's probably better the way round it is since you probably use the media controls more often, and the engine button you'd only use when stopped anyway so doesn't need to be handy to use without looking or something.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Yep, I have noticed more and more cost cutting in Audi as the years go on. I guess all Marques are the same though!

My latest annoyance is the split rear seats. You would expect the 2/3 to be on the passenger side, not the drivers side!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gtiller View Post
    Yep, I have noticed more and more cost cutting in Audi as the years go on. I guess all Marques are the same though!

My latest annoyance is the split rear seats. You would expect the 2/3 to be on the passenger side, not the drivers side!
    Would be great if all of Europe drove on same side of the road!
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

6th Gear

Status
    I think a switch wouldn't be possible at the moment, perhaps only when automated systems are more commonplace. The cost of switching sides would be mammoth as well - Sweden did it in the 60s, but nowadays there is so much tied to the side of the road in terms of signposts, junctions etc
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    So why don't Audi swop over the start button for right hand drive cars and place it nearer the driver? Seems not a difficult task....
    I think the buttons on the center console are worse - drive select and parking features are hard to reach over on the left where as the button blanks and the MMI screen retraction are within easy reach on the right!

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for all your replies guys. Yes all manufacturers penny pinch where ever they can these days. Thing is it is a bit close to the passenger seat and I don't want to get accused of something when I am fumbling around looking for it, if you know what I mean. At least the button is fairly large and, I assume, it is lit up?
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Yer its lit up and large.
    cuke2u likes this.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

6th Gear

Status
    Have had 3 Audis with AC and push button on left was never a problem as far as I recall. You just get used to it. The A4/5 key in the dashboard is way more frustrating IMHO .
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks all, I had a start button on my Focus but it was on the dash behind the steering wheel...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by misthills View Post
    I think the buttons on the center console are worse - drive select and parking features are hard to reach over on the left where as the button blanks and the MMI screen retraction are within easy reach on the right!
    Drive select is the far right button for me, I'm pretty sure! Next to the MMI screen button. The parking features are over on the left though yes.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Drive select is the far right button for me, I'm pretty sure! Next to the MMI screen button. The parking features are over on the left though yes.
    Have drive selct assigned to the steering wheel assignable button...when drive select is in auto, two easy button pushes to get to "fun" mode
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    I keep mine in individual, never touch drive select really. I have my steering wheel button as 'next track'

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Have drive selct assigned to the steering wheel assignable button...when drive select is in auto, two easy button pushes to get to "fun" mode
    That's what I did in the end - I found myself constantly hitting park assist when wanting to changing styles.

Neutral

Status
    Interesting - definitely on the far left for me, exactly as per the manual, except with the steering wheel on the other side. Perhaps they forgot to switch them for the Australian cars.

4th Gear

Status
    I keep mine in individual, never touch drive select really. I have my steering wheel button as 'next track'
    I just use right push on the volume control on the centre consel for next track......thats the great thing with the infortainment/control system, so many different ways to change settings and access info whislt on the move......e.g three ways to access phone controls, voice, centre consle button and via steering wheel controls...says a lot really if the only niggle is that the start button is on the wrong side of the centre consel for some...lol
    JohnnyM100 and cemerson like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by misthills View Post
    Interesting - definitely on the far left for me, exactly as per the manual, except with the steering wheel on the other side. Perhaps they forgot to switch them for the Australian cars.
    I'll check again in a bit

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    I just use right push on the volume control on the centre consel for next track......
    I had been trying to work out how to do this as I could see the previous/next icons on the on/off/volume button but could not get it to work.

I even tried the MMI manual and it was only after this post that I found the one line reference to this buried in it.

Top tip - thanks.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

6th Gear

Status
    uploadfromtaptalk1389790634682.jpg

Here you go, this is the layout of the central console in my car, drive select on the right!

Neutral

Status
    Please can you advise a stupid person what the start button does.

On my BMW it starts the car but I was under the impression the Audi's started on a key

6th Gear

Status
    Advanced Key is the option with the start button, so either depending on spec. You still get a key, you can just leave it in your pocket with advanced key (and there's no keyhole in the car anyway!)

Neutral

Status
    So without Advanced Key I don't get a start button just use a normal key

This gets more depressing , every time I see something I like its an option I can't afford

Whoever put the flat bottomed steering wheel on the S-line spec , I hate you , and your mother
    BGS likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Yes you have to use a key to start the car without the advanced start....