Taking new S3 on a trip back home

PilotAudi

Reaction score
With all the talk about trips around Wales/Bristol etc with new cars we are wondering about taking ours back to Ingolstadt for a few days. Never been there but wondered if anyone has any tips. Itinerary hotels routes etc. We are about 200 miles from Channel Tunnel.

Thanks

Thanks for this.. I reckon its 600miles from Calais, maybe 2 days anywhere good to stop en route?

When we used to go to Austria quite often we always used to call in to Ingolstadt on the way there or back. We tried several different routes but found that travelling across France using the Autoroutes was the one we preferred. Calais to Reims using the A26 and then on towards Strasbourg using the A4. Turn off before Strasbourg and cross the Rhine and on to the Rasthaus Baden-Baden. Basic hotel on a service area but good enough for a nights stop. We then went on A5 to Karlsruhe, the A8 until it meets the A7. Down on the A7 to Memmingen and then the A96 until it meets the A99 around Munich. Take the A99 to the A9 toward Nurnberg and up to Ingolstadt.

A slightly round about way but it missed a lot of the roadworks where they are widening the A6 which is still just 2-lanes for most of the way across towards Nurnberg after Ulm. Some of that work may now be complete but I would look at the German Autobahn site to see where there are current roadworks taking place. autobahn-online.de - Autobahnen in Deutschland.

The autoroutes across across are toll roads but are much quieter than the normal route via Brussels and Liege. The German autobahns from Aachen and Cologne are also very busy.

If you want any more info just ask or sent me a PM. Ingolstadt is well worth a visit, both Audi and the town of Ingolstadt. Worth stopping a few days if you can.

The last time I did the trip the route I did was Dover - Calais - Metz on day 1. Metz to Hohenschwangau on day 2 to visit the glorious Alps and castles, onto Ingolstadt in the afternoon of day 3, Factory tour on day 4 then onto Trier on day 5 and home day 6.

Its a great road trip and have done this 3 times now.

Steve

Reactions: Sandra and PilotAudi
Adenau and bash the ring.
Onto Cochem is great.
B500from Baden awesome.
Andermatt and the best if the Aloine passes incredible.
Just too much to choose from to be honest, it's a pleasure touring in Europe, especially Deutschland and it's infamous B roads.
Just keep away from the Haute Savoie. I like it here :)

Reactions: PilotAudi
I'm going to Epernay - the home of Pol Roger - the week after I pick mine up.

We'll be testing the boot size on the way back.

Adenau and bash the ring.
Onto Cochem is great.
B500from Baden awesome.
Andermatt and the best if the Aloine passes incredible.
Just too much to choose from to be honest, it's a pleasure touring in Europe, especially Deutschland and it's infamous B roads.
Just keep away from the Haute Savoie. I like it here :)

I've got a holiday booked for early October. One week just outside Hamburg and the second week in Cochem.

We did an Eurotrip this summer - so I might be able to give you a few locations worth visitting.

I personally love north Luxembourg - lovely scenery, and roads are perfect - they're not boring highways but thanks to their smart design you're not going to be stuck behind a tractor for longer than 2 minutes.

We staid in Clervaux - we managed to get an amazing 5* hotel for 60 quid a night... Booking.com: Le Clervaux Boutique & Design Hotel , Clervaux, Luxembourg - 106 Guest reviews . Book your hotel now!

Nearby you have an interesting museum of the battle of the Bulge, and nearby there is an amazing looking castle in Diekirch. If you take the route through Luxembourg, you'll also be able to see Trier on the way.