A3 1.4tfSI 140 Sport or A3 2.0TDI SE

neil stait

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I currently drive a company BMW 118D Coupe which is up for renewal.

I have been offered a couple of BMW's (118D and 116i) but I am thinking of a change

The company has proposed the A3 1.4TFSI Sport or the A3 2.0TDI SE

I like the diesel but am keen on the petrol as the spec offered is higher.

I am also struggling to even test drive either car as they don't appear available I have been given a delivery time of 6 months

Can anybody tell me if either car is effected by the turbo rattle that I have been reading about.

I have to keep the car for 4 years and I will rapidly loose interest in it if the car is very quickly in the garage

Is there anybody who also can enlighten me on the electronic handbrake and its effectiveness as I am totally unfamiliar with it and to be honest it is one of the things that is making me lean back towards the BMW's that have the old fashioned handbrake

Please can you be brutally honest , good or bad

Thank you

I'm guessing you'll be talking about the 8V, which is a different section.

the handbrake- you'll get used to it quickly, A3's tend to come very well specced even from basic for the 8V.

Sorry it would be a brand new vehicle I am unfamiliar with the different versions if anybody has the ability to move my thread to the 8V section I would appreciate the help

Thank you

And to confuse matters even further I am looking at the Sportback versions

The turbo rattle would have affected the 1.4, but it's been resolved now so shouldn't affect new cars.

After a BMW either should be a great improvement.

Why have you been offered just 2 options, the 1.6Tdi S line is a fine motor and costs should be less that a 2.0Tdi SE.

If you are stuck on the 2 models you mention.

To think about.

2.0Tdi = more economical (are you worried?)
Look at personal tax situation, will depend on your salary etc.

Sport (and S Line) seats are far better than SE spec.

Electronic handbrake is fine after a few days, I have had them for 6+ years now and am hooked. Hill hold assist is a useful £90? option too.

If I were you I would establish exactly what the budget is and see what Sport or Sline model you can get. BUT 2.0Tdi is a cracking engine.. I just don't personally like SE seats and lesser spec.

Whatever any Audi is better than BMW SH17TE

Where are you based?

Thank you for your reply

I am based in Gloucester

My company has offered me these cars and the specification which they can offer within their set budget

The diesel I can have in SE form but no higher, the 1.4 TFSI COD I can have in Sport format

I need to have it for 4 years so the interior needs to be hard wearing my first 1 series was very poor the seats wore very badly and I only kept that for 3 years

I can afford both vehicles personally but I have found I tend to prefer diesels and I find it difficult to believe the 1.4 is as powerful as the 2.0TDI

The Audi experience I have received in Gloucester has been **** poor I am struggling to even get a test drive

Unfortunately I am in a position where if I push it my Audi or BMW may become a Fiat or Kia lol

My contract states a car but not of a certain level

The level is governed by the maximum lease amount the company will pay

Can you find your own lease? Are you tied to a particular company.

I would have a 1.6Tdi Sline over a 1.4COD 2.0Tdi is better but get the Sport or preferably S Line spec if you can!

I've just been driving a 2L s line tdi sportback while my 1.4 cod was being repaired for 3 weeks. Although the 2L was powerful and fast, I found it to be noisier than the 1.4, so on the whole I would go for the sport version.

The maximum per month is £250 over a 4 year lease and as I said I don't want to push it too much as I might end up with a Kia

Another question : Do I only get a single cd player in the glove compartment that seems very odd

Another question : Do I only get a single cd player in the glove compartment that seems very odd

Yes, but the unit also has two SD card slots which can obviously hold a lot more than a single CD.

If you want to know the full specification for each model type I suggest you go to this website and download the Pricing and Specification Guide as a PDF file. It contains almost everything you will want to know.

Brochures < Contact us < About Audi

Last edited:
Stoke audi currently offer a 1.6 tdi a3 s line for 239.99 per month for business you can look on the website

Reactions: PilotAudi
The 1.6tdi would be a little of a step back performance wise although the spec is nice. How good is the 1.4 tfsi 140 really , my concern is that if I choose it I would have to be confident the turbo rattle situation was sorted and that the car didn't need to be worked hard to get the performance out of it

Get the 1.4 tfsi sport

sport models have,
digital climate control,
better alloys,
better seats & steering wheel
imo look far better,

failing that a bmw sport or even the golf GTD!!! its alot cheaper than u think!

Sport trim also gives you front fogs, colour DIS & drive select over SE

On Comcar which seems to be my companies guide the A3 2.0 TDI 150 SE is £22,500. The Golf 2.0 TDI GT is £23,900

Got to admit the spec of the 1.4TFSI 140 sport is attractive although the standard wheels are pants and everybody advises you to deselect the sport suspension to SE

Audi must be charging more for the sports suspension but de-rate it back to the SE at no change in price , that's good of them!

Really like the seats though

Personally I have sport suspension and am happy with it; you will see as you browse this forum that suspension choice is one of the most subjective issues out there! On the electronic handbrake I wouldn't worry, you will get used to it very quickly.

Is the turbo rattle sorted now on the 1.4 TFSI that would do my head in

Weren't you informed of this is another thread? Anyway, as the problem is fixed with a new linkage, and I've not heard or any new reports, it could be assumed that it is fixed from the factory...

Last edited:
The turbo rattle is easily sorted by Audi, mine was fixed with a spring/bracket type thing so service dept told me.

Given that we've had no reports of rattles in the past 3 months, and that previously the 'rattle thread' was getting half a dozen posts per day, I would say the issue has been sorted at the factory now.

Coincidentally enough, I picked up a 2013 Golf 1.4 DSG work pool-car today and was greeted by the old turbo rattle! Now there's a sound I don't miss!!!!! I guess hire/pool car companies won't be in a rush to fix a rattle and this will be sorted when they're sold onto their first private owner. As said above, it's a simple clip and takes less than 20 minutes to do at the dealers, so don't let this put you off.

Is the turbo rattle sorted now on the 1.4 TFSI that would do my head in
There have been no reports of turbo rattles on the 1.4 TFSI COD (i.e. the 140 ps engine). These were restricted to the 1.4 TFSI 122 ps engine.

Well credit where it is due. I rang Listers in Worcester who were honest and sincere in their approach to my request for a test drive of the cars I have an interest in. Also told me the postives and negatives of the diesel and petrol versions and their opinion. Even offered to try and better my lease terms, and

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

Rang me back !

Well credit where it is due. I rang Listers in Worcester who were honest and sincere in their approach to my request for a test drive of the cars I have an interest in. Also told me the postives and negatives of the diesel and petrol versions and their opinion. Even offered to try and better my lease terms, and

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

Rang me back !

We found Listers very helpful.. even bought wife's first A3 8P from them in 2003! Bristol are better for deals now IMHO. I await the PM from Listers now to better my S3 deal ;-)

Right test drive booked - its a choice between the a3 1.4tfsi 140 Sport Sportback and the 2.0TDI Sportback SE.

How hard wearing are the SE seats. I need to keep the car for 4 years and both my previous BMW's a 116ES and a 118D Sport have shown heavy wear on the seats after 3 years.

Financially the company will not allow me to have the 2.0TDI Sport, this would be my first choice, as it appears to have be better seats

I am happy with the SE if the seats are ok , quality wise

Right test drive booked - its a choice between the a3 1.4tfsi 140 Sport Sportback and the 2.0TDI Sportback SE.

How hard wearing are the SE seats. I need to keep the car for 4 years and both my previous BMW's a 116ES and a 118D Sport have shown heavy wear on the seats after 3 years.

Financially the company will not allow me to have the 2.0TDI Sport, this would be my first choice, as it appears to have be better seats

I am happy with the SE if the seats are ok , quality wise

I don't have an 8V (yet!) but I have had four 8P SEs and all with light grey interior and the seats have been fine. I have kept the cars for between 2 and 3 years. I don't have a children which might make a difference but I'm sure the quality will be acceptable. All the four SEs I've had have also all been 2.0TDIs. Super engine with huge amounts of torque and a lot less need to use high revs to get the best out of the engine. My choice would definitely be to go for the 2.0TDI. I don't think you will regret it.

I have owned both a 1.4TFSI (older 8P chassis) and now a 2.0TDI (8V) if it was purely down to performance I would go for the 2.0TDI every time...quicker from a standing start, much higher torque and therefore better in gear acceleration and pulling power when fully loaded, just need to get the revs in the sweet spot (same for any diesel). That said Sport spec is better than SE IMHO, especially as you get climate control on the Sport...tough choice.

You do really need to test drive, phone round a couple of dealers but dont tell them you are going to lease as a company car, give them the impression you will buy and i am sure they will find a trst drive for you.

Either way both will be better than the BMW's you have been offered (performance and kit)

I have owned both a 1.4TFSI (older 8P chassis) and now a 2.0TDI (8V) if it was purely down to performance I would go for the 2.0TDI every time...quicker from a standing start, much higher torque and therefore better in gear acceleration and pulling power when fully loaded, just need to get the revs in the sweet spot (same for any diesel). That said Sport spec is better than SE IMHO, especially as you get climate control on the Sport...tough choice.

You do really need to test drive, phone round a couple of dealers but dont tell them you are going to lease as a company car, give them the impression you will buy and i am sure they will find a trst drive for you.

Either way both will be better than the BMW's you have been offered (performance and kit)

The problem is finding a dealer with an SE or a Sport for your to try. Everyone seems to have S-Line version and nothing else. I eventually found that Milton Keynes Audi had a 1.4TFSI SE as a demonstrator and Tamworth Audi had a 2.0TDI-150 Sport. In both cases they were s-tronic which is what I was wanting to try. You may have better luck if your looking for a manual. Have a look at the Audi UK used cars website and do a search. Look for cars that have a date on the picture indicating when they will be available as this generally means they are currently a demonstrator.

Thank you for your response

It's not much of a dilemma really, if the seats wear ok I will go with the 2.0TDI SE, I'm not allowed the 2.0 TDI Sport

For me the only benefit with the sport is the different seats and the pretty metal edging around the windows.

The suspension I would probably change to SE anyway, the climate control I don't have in my BMW so would not miss and the alloys on the SE are fine

Do you get the impression I am trying to talk myself into the diesel, although I do love the metal edging

Arghhhhhhhhhhh

Personally Neil I hate the standard seats but we are all different if you can live with them that's fine. Try both!! Still don't see why you couldn't source a 2.0Tdi Sport under your price.

PilotAudi I do not deal with the purchasing of the car and lets just say my company is a little touchy about me asking for a higher spec, they have an oliver syndrome, asking for more is ungrateful

The budget I have is £250.00 per month on either a 3 or 4 year 8000 mile contract I am happy with the choices not the spec, I want a manual with rear sensors

Hi Neil

Are you tied to your employers Lease company prices? If not call/talk to a few dealers. When I managed our Car Lease scheme deals were regularly possible, different manufacturer incentives, orphan cars etc. Where there is a will etc.. appreciate the 'Oliver' syndrome but you could always sell the sport seats as more comfortable for your bad back!!

Our company is small we are able to use whichever lease company we want but I have one point of contact in my company to beg to for the appropriate vehicle

In other words a set budget, your not having metallic , your not having the 2.0 TDI Sport !

And you can always have a Kia if you prefer ! :jump:

Neil,
Not local to you if you are near Worcester but pretty sure Colbornes in Camberley had a 2.0 TDI 150 SB Sport on SE Suspension with Manual gearbox as a demonstrator as I had it as a courtesy car last week.

Our company is small we are able to use whichever lease company we want but I have one point of contact in my company to beg to for the appropriate vehicle

In other words a set budget, your not having metallic , your not having the 2.0 TDI Sport !

And you can always have a Kia if you prefer ! :jump:

Glad I don't work there Neil.. clearly not heard of 'Employee Engagement' and 'Talent Management'.... Although I suppose you are in Tory Territory and the Plebs have to do as they're told!