Badger5AH Fabrications
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By keyser
  • 1 Post By Silky-S3
  • 1 Post By Cumbrian_bob
  • 1 Post By Chimp

Thread: S3 s-tronic "grunt" when shifting explanation...

Neutral

Status

S3 s-tronic "grunt" when shifting explanation...

Can anyone explain where the actual sound comes from and why it does this?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    My understanding is that it's a backfire caused on downshifts by engine braking.

Is it on downshifts only? (Mine's a manual s3.) If on upshifts as well, then also a backfire but probably caused by an intentionally rich mix, leaving fuel to enter the exhaust system.

Happy to be corrected obviously...
    Ziggyma89 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    From what I've seen on videos is that it happens wen up shifting. The dealer also said it makes a sound when downshifting too. Ordered the s tronic. only got to test drive the manual

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Happens on upshift mostly, sweet spot is about 6250rpm. ECU throwing load of fuel in when shifting to richen up the mixture and ignite it in the exhaust. Sounds awesome.
    Aran383 likes this.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks lookin forward to it!!!

Neutral

Status
    It's strange how the sound of a badly tuned engine is used to purvey power, that said I like it, though I'm getting a manual so won't have it.

6th Gear

Status
    I have heard that the exhaust has flaps inside them which will cause the 'pops'.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    I have only noticed it on the upshift, but you also get to hear it make a little burble on the efficiency mode when the power goes off when it goes into coasting downhill.

You can also amend the level of noise from the MMI, not sure which parts this turns off. I have this setting on individual mode so I can has the sporting steering and accelarion but not the louder noise.

I am guessing the attenuator (speaker) and the exhaust flaps are available on both manual and Stronic S3s, and more for normal engine sound not just the gear change sound.
    r500frs likes this.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

1st Gear

Status
    On the test drive of a Manual I managed to get a slight pop on upshifts when I was driving "enthusiastically". On the S-tronic test drive it pops every gear change and in sport mode it poped on downshifts too. Also noticed the box auto "blip" the revs on downshift.
    Ziggyma89 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    On the test drive of a Manual I managed to get a slight pop on upshifts when I was driving "enthusiastically". On the S-tronic test drive it pops every gear change and in sport mode it poped on downshifts too. Also noticed the box auto "blip" the revs on downshift.
    I need to learn that one seen as mines manual!

4th Gear

Status
    I was told by the dealer, its actually an small bit of additional fuel injected specifically at that point and the sound is it being burnt off in the exhaust. I actually love the fact that Audi built it in. Fuel being wasted just to make a great noise, not very Audi!
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

1st Gear

Status
    Doesn't do it in Eco mode I don't think.