Hold Assist - Can it be added in via a code change or is factory fitted

rayss3

Reaction score
Far as i understand Hold Assist is not available on S3 Sedan in Australia.

Can it be added in via a code change? or is it component thats added from Factory?

I have the feature on my Passat R36 and love it.

Far as i understand Hold Assist is not available on S3 Sedan in Australia.

Can it be added in via a code change? or is it component thats added from Factory?

I have the feature on my Passat R36 and love it.

It's a good question - It is definitely factory fitted as the button to activate it will be missing from your car (it is the blank button beside your park brake). I agree it would have been nice if it was available as an option here in Australia, particularly as it is so low cost in the scheme of a $60k+ car. Having said that, as best as I can tell, the hold feature provided by the standard park brake does almost everything the hold assist does apart from applying the park brake automatically when you park. The car automatically holds for a short period of time (6 seconds from recollection) when you release the foot brake. I suspect that you won't really miss it if it can't be cheaply retrofitted.

It should be possible, the coding via VCDS has already been found but you need a security code for module 03

For the button I know it has been done on the Q3.

Thanks for your replies i will investigate further when i get the car.

You'll need the button to retrofit the option... but whether you can turn it always on or always off without the button via VCDS I don't know.

You'll need the button to retrofit the option... but whether you can turn it always on or always off without the button via VCDS I don't know.

That's what I was talking about, the option is there. but the security code is not known yet

i would be happy to have it permanently on, only issue i can see is launch control not working maybe; because you need to turn traction control off?

It's a £90 optional extra so having extra modules for hold assist is ridiculous. If it's a plastic button and a code change in vcds then it makes sense.

It's a £90 optional extra so having extra modules for hold assist is ridiculous. If it's a plastic button and a code change in vcds then it makes sense.

Out of interest the cost of the switch in the UK is £30.24.

Yes but abs modules differ in features & no guarantee just cause you have, whether other module part number will aswell, but if 2 people share the same part number module & 1 has & one doesnt, then yes its possible for sure, issue then lies in gaining security access & also if audi will wipe the feature when it goes in, as vin comes back with it being disabled.

Yes but abs modules differ in features & no guarantee just cause you have, whether other module part number will aswell, but if 2 people share the same part number module & 1 has & one doesnt, then yes its possible for sure, issue then lies in gaining security access & also if audi will wipe the feature when it goes in, as vin comes back with it being disabled.

For the cost of £90 on a 25-30k car it is just not worth not including it. If you have purchased a used-car that did not have it included in it's original spec, then that is one of the disadvantages of buying a used car. Personally I don't think the ABS module is something to start playing around with, which is no doubt why Audi put security on it.

Slightly OT: I have test driven S tronics and they have held once I came to a complete stop and then released the brake pedal. From what I have read, without hold assist you will roll back after 6 seconds?

Does hold assist also work when you're not on a hill? i.e. In an S tronic A3, you would be able to stop at traffic lights, take your foot off of the brake and keep the car in D with no parking brake on? Without hold assist on, the car would start to creep/roll back after 6 seconds.

Im pushing to get this put in from factory if i can. They might just make it available if enough pressure is put on.

Hold assist stays on until you release the clutch and move off. I've got it on the loan Q3 I have and I find it quite intrusive compared to the system on the focus I had. You can definitely feel quite a 'grab' before it releases and a noise from the pads. I'll live with it though...

Last edited:
It's a lot smoother on the A3, don't notice it 95% of the time

Reactions: cuke2u
Does hold assist also work when you're not on a hill? i.e. In an S tronic A3, you would be able to stop at traffic lights, take your foot off of the brake and keep the car in D with no parking brake on? Without hold assist on, the car would start to creep/roll back after 6 seconds.

I have S-Tronic and Hold Assist.
Yes it does hold. Hill or no hill.
In S-Tronic it does exactly as you describe, even when start-stop kicks in. When the traffic lights go green, just press the accelerator and it moves off.

You don't have to apply the handbrake at the end of a journey either. Just turn off the ignition and it does it for you.

I think in the 3 months I have had mine, I have only used the hand brake button twice, and that was because I was trying to manoeuvre my car on my drive without putting my seat belt on (with no seatbelt, the car won't automatically release the handbrake).

John.