• 1 Post By VeeDubDan
  • 1 Post By dieseldoug
  • 1 Post By M_D_O_London
  • 1 Post By bleedsoff

Thread: Why you chose your S3 Sportback or 3 door

1st Gear

Status

Why you chose your S3 Sportback or 3 door

I have always wanted an S3 and now i have an S3 Sportback but originally i wanted the three door. I chose the SB instead as i thought the 3 door just looked like a facelift of the 8P.

What is your reason?

Serious replies only please, "JB"
    Last edited by Audimad; 12th January 2014 at 20:25.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Need rails for bikes and skis. And the 8V looks better as a SB IMHO.
    Louay and rams_s3 like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just prefer the look of the Sportback and started to find that the 3 doors on our A1 were becoming impractical. This wouldn't be any different for a 3 door S3. Also sometimes a nightmare if you are a bit porky getting out of a 3 door if in a tight parking space due to the length of the the doors. Suppose I could have always gone on a little diet if I really wanted a 3 door.....
    cemerson likes this.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

4th Gear

Status
    SB to me looks like more of a complete car. The 3Dr looks disproportionate and for myself with a family also impractical. Not to say that 3Dr is inferior it's just different and is targeted to a different demographic, I previously owned 2 myself.

The rear lights of the SB also to me look more pleasing, and ones with rails that compliment the rest of the car like estoril blue with ali rails looks phenomenal, perhaps some may disagree but that is said in my opinion of course.
    J6YAK and cemerson like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Always liked the sb in 's' mode in both shapes not s line but s3.

4th Gear

Status
    SB much better for dogging IMO
    Louay, pat15312, BGS and 3 others like this.
    Glacier White S3 SB S-Tronic, Super Sport Seats, Pano Roof, Black Roof Rails, LED's, Interior Light Pack, B&O, Sat Nav SD Card, Advanced Key, Acoustic Rear Parking, Rain Sensor, ABT DR 19" Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Don't have any kids, very rarely carry more than one passenger, personally think the 3 door looks better, and it's cheaper!
    Scotty2011 likes this.
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    SB to me looks like more of a complete car. The 3Dr looks disproportionate and for myself with a family also impractical. Not to say that 3Dr is inferior it's just different and is targeted to a different demographic, I previously owned 2 myself.

The rear lights of the SB also to me look more pleasing, and ones with rails that compliment the rest of the car like estoril blue with ali rails looks phenomenal, perhaps some may disagree but that is said in my opinion of course.
    Agree apart from colour choice which of course is very personal
    Louay likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=driver_tim;2055037]Don't have any kids, very rarely carry more than one passenger, personally think the 3 door looks better, and it's cheaper![/QUOTE

Could you be more specific perhaps please?

Neutral

Status
    Will always buy Spotback. 3 doors absolutely unpractical in all ways, especially with passangers.

1st Gear

Status
    Prefer the sportier look of the 3 door, that its quicker and I dont need the practicality of 5 doors.

The 3 door was the original version and style and angles work better than the 5 door which looks too much like an estate car, because it sort of is an estate car, it loses somethng with its shorter windows, extra windows, more door handles all taking away something away from the style of the 3 door. Losing some of the lines for the practicality.

The three door looks a little bit sportier, same with the A5, and even the concept Quattro, long door, strong rear pillar, whihc is accented by the silver window frame demonstrating the shape of the windows along with the roof line.

This is of course all IMHO etc etc. I dont dislike the 5 door, I just prefer the 3 door, which is why I bought that version.
    Ziggyma89, keyser and Scotty2011 like this.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

Banned

Status
    Agree 2 door Coupe on A5 is best. Sportback looks like an A4 hatch. BUT on A3 8P and 8v reckon the SB looks best (particularly 8P ) 8V both look good IMHO . The original 8L looked pants as a 5 door. Just my 2p but true ;-)
    Ziggyma89 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Echoing some of the other comments, the car looks to have been designed to be a three door and then adapted to provide a five door option.

I very rarely have more than one passenger and don't need the extra space or practicality. The three door looks sportier (suits the S3) whereas the sportback just looks, to me, like a small estate car.

If I really needed the extra space or ease of access, I'd have gone for a larger Audi like an S5.
    Ziggyma89 likes this.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

Neutral

Status
    Feel like the SB looks too much like an A4 avant. I don't have any kids and also rarely have more than 2 passengers.
    3 door looks more sporty and more suited for the younger lad.
    grantDUBshaw likes this.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    Echoing some of the other comments, the car looks to have been designed to be a three door and then adapted to provide a five door option.

I very rarely have more than one passenger and don't need the extra space or practicality. The three door looks sportier (suits the S3) whereas the sportback just looks, to me, like a small estate car.

If I really needed the extra space or ease of access, I'd have gone for a larger Audi like an S5.
    S5/a5 isn't larger inside !

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    It is easier to get in and has extra space. Please read what I wrote.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic

Banned

Status
    No it isn't and I've had 2 5s and 3 3s. ! The A 3 is way more practical and easier for passengers

3rd Gear

Status
    SB Looks better, more finished; baby on the way, so 5 doors was a must any way.

If a 3 door car was an option for me, I wouldn't be in a S3.

3rd Gear

Status
    Coupe or SB?
    Coupe definitely not!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    Coupe or SB?
    Coupe definitely not!
    Yeh sportback
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    The 2 door A5 is larger inside for the driver, more arm room and leg room, the longer door and more straight legged poition means the driving position rarely meant my legs could touch the stearing wheel.

The overall cabin might be smaller for everybody else, but passengers, who cares, if they want a lift they should be happy with that, if they are not happy theres loads of space on the bus.
    Audimad likes this.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

3rd Gear

Status
    You don't want a S5 anyway.
    The S3 is the better car.
    IMO, having owned both.
    PilotAudi likes this.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Sportback for the win. 3 door looks too much like a A1.
    rams_s3 likes this.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

1st Gear

Status
    So there you have it, some people like the three door, and some people like the five door! Shocker!!
    keyser likes this.
    8V S3; Sportback, S-Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Aluminium Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Supersport Seats, Comfort Pack, Technology Pack High, Bang & Olufsen, Folding, Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Extended Mono.Pur, Parking System Plus, Reversing Camera, Rear Side Airbags, Reversible Boot Mat, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Hold Assist

Banned

Status
    It isn't as Bob in Carlisle says A5 is bigger for driver in leg dept but A 3 is way better for passengers and like Craig and Mr Mad I've had both too!

1st Gear

Status
    3 door all the way, more sportier never more than 2 people in it, then I have my Q5 for everything else
    Scotty2011 likes this.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    SB as I didn't have any choice haha. We don't get the 3 door down here. Had I been given the choice, it would have been the 3 door hands down.

Neutral

Status
    Got an A3, not S3 but SB for me - looks a little better proportioned. Plus get the benefits of sensible sized doors which makes getting in / out of tight spots a little easier. Back doors useful for the rare occassion we have anyone travelling in the back. Practicality of the SB makes the A3 pretty much all the car you'd ever need.
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Collected: Audi A3 8V Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Ice Silver, Alu Roof Rails, Audi Side Assist, B&O Audio, Comfort Pack (w/ACC, Parking System Plus & Park Assist), Sports Suspension, Elec Folding Mirrors, Ext Interior Mono-Pur, Fine Nappa Seats, Heated Front Seats, Hill Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, Non-Smoking Package, Pano Glass Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Reversing Camera, Technology Package, Load-Through System, Tyre Pressure Monitor. 4 Year Warranty

1st Gear

Status
    I much prefer the sportback. I love the avant style Audi's and especially the RS4 and RS6 (bit out my price range though ) and as mentioned the sportback looks a little like a mini estate.

Tomorrow is the day!
    PilotAudi likes this.
    On Order - Audi S3 SB S-tronic, Estoril Blue, Black Alcantara Leather, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advance Key, ACC, LED Lights, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non-Smoking Pack, Parking System Plus, Reverse Camera, B+O Sound System, Electric Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Electric Lumbar + Adjustable Seats, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Load Through, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Tech Pack High with Audi Connect!!!

Provisional Build Week 4!

3rd Gear

Status
    Always preferred my hot hatches with 3 doors, think they look sportier. Although we've got a baby, my wife has an X5 so already got a big family bus so didn't really need a 5 door. S3 is basically my work commute car and toy.