Brake upgrade ?

snowfree52

Reaction score
Has anyone been looking or have informations about brake upgrades for the A3 8V ?

What can we mount from other cars, any brake kit available ?

Are brakes from Golf golf 5 R32, S3 8P etc possible to mount ?

Last edited:
I think the 8V S3 brakes are different from the 8P S3 brakes, well they feel different when using them hard.

Currently working with Shark Performance to develop a brake upgrade kit with Brembo 4 Pot Calipers and AP Racing Discs. Watch this space will update with details when it's prototyped!

Reactions: Silky-S3
Guys I found a nice pair of Golk R MK6 brakes, (calipers, pads, discs...) the guy is selling them for 410£

Do you think they would fit ?

what about the price ?

Thanks !

UP ?

does someone who had/has an S3 /Golf R think the upgrade is worth it ?

Im running approx 330 bhp and I have never felt the need to upgrade brakes. A friend running approx 360 feels the same. Others on here think its a worthwhile upgrade. I think you just need to ask yourself why you feel you need to upgrade? Have you been in a situation where you thought, God I need better brakes?

Well clearly there were no situation when I felt I just almost died because the brakes were ****. mind you they are already 312 x 25 (as you know S3 8P brakes are 345 x 30.) and I didn't have the occasions to push them really hard.

Still when I had my S3 8L wich had almost the same setup : (discs were 312 x 25 and maybe even the calipers are the same) Car was about the same weight, had a bit more power, so I think it's a good point of comparison
I warped the discs without any trackday on a simple mountain road with the S3
then I went bigger and loved it !

DSC00394%20%5B800x600%5D.JPG

I also have at the moment a Lotus Elise 111R which I actually don't use much but the brakes are nice !

Then, do I really need S3 brakes ? Not really
maybe until I go to some trackdays wich I will probably will but not before I swap my winter tires.

I was interested in big brake kit but it may be a bit overkill, and I don't want to spend 1500£ on this car for the brakes.

Then again, bigger brakes look nice on 18" wheels

Last edited:
well to keep this post up to date I searched a lot about brake weight and those are my discoveries :

S3 345 brakes : calipers : 8,5kg discs : 12 total 20,5
A3 312 : calipers : 6kg discs : 8,6kg total 14,6
TTRS : total 17Kg
S3 340 : total : 20
VW racing 352*32 : 12

A3 312 + Boxter calipers : calipers : 3,6kg discs : 8,6 total : 12,2

At first I was interested by S3 345 brakes because of the OEM look, but they are way too heavy and I'm not sure it represents a huge improvement.

Then TTRS brakes because they are cheap to buy but it seems they are a pain in the a*s to fit: need spacer, won't fit every 18" rims etc and parts are hugely expensive !! (500£ for 2 discs and 300£ for pads)

Now I am looking at the porsche boxter (non S) front calipers conversion.

Good things are :
- WEIGHT !! calipers are 2,4kg lighter than the A3 calipers and 5Kg ligher than S3 calipers PER SIDE !!
- COST : boxter calipers are really cheap, I found 2 with pads (used) for around 300£ with shipping.
- COST again : no need to change the discs, they are just plug and play. and therefore, discs will still be cheap when you need to change them !

All you need is :

boxter non-S FRONT calipers (parts : 986.351.421, 986.351.422)
Brackets to fit the calipers
hoses with the correct end for porsche calipers

then you have this :

DSC00110.jpg

picture taken here : porsche calipers - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

no because :

1. I am in conflict with Audi about warranty work and I guess it's not the right time to mount Porsche brakes
2. I still haven't found the right brackets (related to 1)