Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geefunk1978

Thread: Brake upgrade ?

Full LED baby !

Status

Brake upgrade ?

Has anyone been looking or have informations about brake upgrades for the A3 8V ?

What can we mount from other cars, any brake kit available ?

Are brakes from Golf golf 5 R32, S3 8P etc possible to mount ?
    Last edited by snowfree52; 10th January 2014 at 08:35.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    I think the 8V S3 brakes are different from the 8P S3 brakes, well they feel different when using them hard.
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

Full LED baby !

Status
    I've read somewhere new S3 are 340 and old S3 345
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Currently working with Shark Performance to develop a brake upgrade kit with Brembo 4 Pot Calipers and AP Racing Discs. Watch this space will update with details when it's prototyped!
    Silky-S3 likes this.

Full LED baby !

Status
    nice !
    Porsche BBK...

Full LED baby !

Status
    Guys I found a nice pair of Golk R MK6 brakes, (calipers, pads, discs...) the guy is selling them for 410£

Do you think they would fit ?

what about the price ?

Thanks !
    Porsche BBK...

Full LED baby !

Status
    UP ?

does someone who had/has an S3 /Golf R think the upgrade is worth it ?
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Im running approx 330 bhp and I have never felt the need to upgrade brakes. A friend running approx 360 feels the same. Others on here think its a worthwhile upgrade. I think you just need to ask yourself why you feel you need to upgrade? Have you been in a situation where you thought, God I need better brakes?

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

Full LED baby !

Status
    Well clearly there were no situation when I felt I just almost died because the brakes were ****. mind you they are already 312 x 25 (as you know S3 8P brakes are 345 x 30.) and I didn't have the occasions to push them really hard.

Still when I had my S3 8L wich had almost the same setup : (discs were 312 x 25 and maybe even the calipers are the same) Car was about the same weight, had a bit more power, so I think it's a good point of comparison
    I warped the discs without any trackday on a simple mountain road with the S3
    then I went bigger and loved it !

I also have at the moment a Lotus Elise 111R which I actually don't use much but the brakes are nice !

Then, do I really need S3 brakes ? Not really
    maybe until I go to some trackdays wich I will probably will but not before I swap my winter tires.

I was interested in big brake kit but it may be a bit overkill, and I don't want to spend 1500£ on this car for the brakes.

Then again, bigger brakes look nice on 18" wheels
    Last edited by snowfree52; 16th February 2014 at 15:28.
    Porsche BBK...

Full LED baby !

Status
    well to keep this post up to date I searched a lot about brake weight and those are my discoveries :

S3 345 brakes : calipers : 8,5kg discs : 12 total 20,5
    A3 312 : calipers : 6kg discs : 8,6kg total 14,6
    TTRS : total 17Kg
    S3 340 : total : 20
    VW racing 352*32 : 12

A3 312 + Boxter calipers : calipers : 3,6kg discs : 8,6 total : 12,2

At first I was interested by S3 345 brakes because of the OEM look, but they are way too heavy and I'm not sure it represents a huge improvement.

Then TTRS brakes because they are cheap to buy but it seems they are a pain in the a*s to fit: need spacer, won't fit every 18" rims etc and parts are hugely expensive !! (500£ for 2 discs and 300£ for pads)

Now I am looking at the porsche boxter (non S) front calipers conversion.

Good things are :
    - WEIGHT !! calipers are 2,4kg lighter than the A3 calipers and 5Kg ligher than S3 calipers PER SIDE !!
    - COST : boxter calipers are really cheap, I found 2 with pads (used) for around 300£ with shipping.
    - COST again : no need to change the discs, they are just plug and play. and therefore, discs will still be cheap when you need to change them !

All you need is :

boxter non-S FRONT calipers (parts : 986.351.421, 986.351.422)
    Brackets to fit the calipers
    hoses with the correct end for porsche calipers

then you have this :

picture taken here : porsche calipers - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com
    Porsche BBK...