Chris NottAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Prospective Purchase Queries

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oedipus View Post
    Golf Mk4 is very comfy - like a sofa

Like the sport + halogens idea which if I went with the 150 would help with the budget.
    You are wanting a much firmer car then?

I have Xenons on my Golf. I just got them because I liked the look, but they are really good. Need to be careful not to blind other drivers though.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Meant Xenons not halogens

Not wanting a firmer car per se but understand that the usual moan about Audis is the firmness of the ride. Will need to take a test drive to determine how it relates to my own experience - as someone mentioned I shall run it over cats eyes. I think I'd go for the middle (Sport) suspension unless the test suggests otherwise.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hear is another of my posts on the subject Changes to spec deadline

Some of A3 reviews recommended specifying SE suspension and I drive a firm car. So I was well aware of the issue before we went looking for my wife's new car. On our test drive - my wife drove the A3 first. I was in the rear left seat. As a passenger I was paying very careful attention to the ride comfort. We were not impressed with the comfort of the A3 Sportback Sport. Wanting to make sure - I arranged for my wife to have the car for a 24hr test drive. After that I told the dealer straight to his face that the car was firm and uncomfortable.

When my wife drives my car and I am the passenger I notice that my car is even more uncomfortable. I find that most of the potholes, manhole covers, undulations and humps are on the passenger side.

It looks like you keep your cars for a while. So do I normally, but I will be changing sooner rather than later as my Golf has sports suspension and is uncomfortable for the roads I drive.

This is all 'in my opinion' of course. You need to do your own research and make your own decision.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 10th January 2014 at 11:58.

2nd Gear

Status
    I recommend you read this post from an new A3 Sportback Sport driver.

Tiresome Road Noise & Ride A3 SB

Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    Hear is another of my posts on the subject Changes to spec deadline

When my wife drives my car and I am the passenger I notice that my car is even more uncomfortable. I find that most of the potholes, manhole covers, undulations and humps are on the passenger side.
    I agree completely. My wife also comments about she feels the potholes etc much more as a passenger than when she is driving and most of the rough edges to the roads, especially in country lanes are on the passenger side. I am not very often I passenger in my A3 but I am in her A1 and I notice them much more then. I think the other factor is that the driver has his/he hands on the steering wheel and I think that can also make a difference.

I have SE suspension and 17" wheels with 225/45 tyres on my current Sporback and if and when I order a new 8V I will certainly specify the same again. Tyres can also make a big difference and the quieter tyres tend also give slightly softer ride. When I do order I will budget for changing the tyres to ones I am happy with just in case the new car comes with ones I don't like.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have no knowledge of this area but surely the stiffness of a car is something that could be more usefully expressed in figures (than say the seemingly arbitrary mpg) so for example if my golf was say 1.5 I could tell if something were stiffer or softer by the values relating to them?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have a look at the price via UKNewCars.com - provided via a dealer somewhere near Woking I think.

I've got an extended test booked for Tuesday and will order after but their price has beaten all the others I've looked at.

Only question I have is around the Audi Sound system and the boot floor, local dealer says you can't use the dual level - posts on here suggest both ways. Can anyone clear that one up for both of us.

My plan is AUDI A3 DIESEL SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI 184 Sport 5dr
    Basic £20291.67
    Reversible boot mat
    Hill hold assist
    Progressive power assisted steering
    SD card satellite navigation system
    Electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
    Audi Sound System with 10 speakers
    Panoramic glass sunroof
    Comfort pack - A3 with parking system plus
    Non smoking pack - A3
    Storage and luggage pack - A3
    Xenon light pack - A3 (when bought with Comfort pack)
    Metallic - Monsoon grey
    Tyre pressure monitor
    Electric lumbar support
    Rallye cloth - Black
    17" 5 arm kinetic design alloy wheels

If you dropped the sunroof and a couple of options you'd be near your price.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mindstorm View Post
    Have a look at the price via UKNewCars.com - provided via a dealer somewhere near Woking I think.

I've got an extended test booked for Tuesday and will order after but their price has beaten all the others I've looked at.

Only question I have is around the Audi Sound system and the boot floor, local dealer says you can't use the dual level - posts on here suggest both ways. Can anyone clear that one up for both of us.

My plan is AUDI A3 DIESEL SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI 184 Sport 5dr
    Basic £20291.67
    Reversible boot mat
    Hill hold assist
    Progressive power assisted steering
    SD card satellite navigation system
    Electric adjustable/heated/folding door mirrors
    Audi Sound System with 10 speakers
    Panoramic glass sunroof
    Comfort pack - A3 with parking system plus
    Non smoking pack - A3
    Storage and luggage pack - A3
    Xenon light pack - A3 (when bought with Comfort pack)
    Metallic - Monsoon grey
    Tyre pressure monitor
    Electric lumbar support
    Rallye cloth - Black
    17" 5 arm kinetic design alloy wheels

If you dropped the sunroof and a couple of options you'd be near your price.
    Can you clarify how you got that base price? When I go to the site it gives me £22,681.75.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by oedipus View Post
    Have no knowledge of this area but surely the stiffness of a car is something that could be more usefully expressed in figures (than say the seemingly arbitrary mpg) so for example if my golf was say 1.5 I could tell if something were stiffer or softer by the values relating to them?
    Have a look on youtube. All the A3 reviews I just watched mentioned the cars suspension.

2nd Gear

Status

Prospective Purchase Queries

Quote Originally Posted by mindstorm View Post
    As long as it's front wheel drive the type of sound system (standard / Audi Sound system / B&O) has no effect or limitation on boot floor height. You are free to move the boot floor to upper or lower position *with the space saver wheel in place* as well as the sub-woofer. If you put a full sized alloy wheel in the wheel well then 99% sure it has to be higher position only.

The only restriction is with Quattro where boot floor is fixed in higher position.

John.
    Last edited by JohnnyM100; 13th January 2014 at 10:42.
    Enjoying my 8V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12