Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snakehips

Thread: 1.6 TDI performance questions

Reverse Gear

Status

1.6 TDI performance questions

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

just ordered an a3 SB 1.6 TDI S Line,and was hoping for some feedback on driving performance with sport suspension which I believe us standard on s line models also read the 1.6 doesn't have the more sophisticated rear suspension ?

thanks,
    Steven

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    "Is there something wrong? Maverick: Yes ma'am, the data on the MiG is inaccurate."

Sorry to worry you Steve. It looks like some of the reviewers have done a copy and paste job from a Golf review.

Still waiting for someone to confirm this, but at the moment it looks like all A3s are fitted with multi-link suspension. Low spec Golfs have light weight, torsion beam suspension. With Skoda and Seat only fitting the performance multi-link to their higher range models.

Though, from what I have read, the only time you are likely to notice is on really bad roads or cornering at speed. The 1.6 Golf we tested was certainly a very comfortable car compared to the Audi on sports suspension and 17 inch tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by swbtz10 View Post
    Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

just ordered an a3 SB 1.6 TDI S Line,and was hoping for some feedback on driving performance with sport suspension which I believe us standard on s line models also read the 1.6 doesn't have the more sophisticated rear suspension ?

thanks,
    Steven
    All 1.6TDI engined 8V models have the 'less sophisticated' torsion bar rear suspension as do the 1.2TFSI engined cars. All the other engined cars have the 'more sophisticated' 4-link rear suspension. It does not matter if it is SE, Sport or S-line it is purely determined by the engine fitted to the car.

For a bit more information see my other post:Worried about comfort/suspension?
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your replies and clearing that up for me.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

thanks,
    Steven
    I'll paint a picture.
    A guy in a seat leon pulled along side me last night wanting some fun at the lights, i make all the moves edging forward as we wait for the light change.
    They hit green he roars off the non race won, as i just plod off laughing at him.
    Why did i not have a go? I have a 1.6 TDI, great engine but its not a racer its a plodder.

So my question is why order an s-line with a 1.6 TDI, its a plodder in wolves clothing.
    For me an s-line should have an engine that matches what it is , a sporty car.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Haha I know what you mean but I might as well have a nice looking car that's not fast going from a 1.2 polo I might not be racing but it will still feel quick to me lol

Haha I know what you mean but I might as well have a nice looking car that's not fast going from a 1.2 polo I might not be racing but it will still feel quick to me lol
    Well it will a definite improvement on a 1.2 Polo, both in looks, quality and power even it won't be the fastest S-Line around.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirider View Post
    I'll paint a picture.
    A guy in a seat leon pulled along side me last night wanting some fun at the lights, i make all the moves edging forward as we wait for the light change.
    They hit green he roars off the non race won, as i just plod off laughing at him.
    Why did i not have a go? I have a 1.6 TDI, great engine but its not a racer its a plodder.

So my question is why order an s-line with a 1.6 TDI, its a plodder in wolves clothing.
    For me an s-line should have an engine that matches what it is , a sporty car.
    I'd argue that even in S-line guise the A3 isn't particularly sporty looking. The S-line trim does complement the car and fills it out nicely but sporty? Not to me.
    So IMHO every combo of trim and engine is equally valid.
    h5djr likes this.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Full LED baby !

Status
    what is sporty to you ? have you seen cars from ten years ago ? You had to have a Ferrari to get that aggressive.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    what is sporty to you ? have you seen cars from ten years ago ? You had to have a Ferrari to get that aggressive.
    Yes, my Ferraris are indeed sporty!
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.