Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveotto

Thread: Aluminium/Alloy valve cap warning

5th Gear

Status

Aluminium/Alloy valve cap warning

If like many during the long months of waiting for my car I agonised over what valve caps to buy and finally bought and then fitted on day one of ownership. However, after 4 months and 4000 miles, found earlier this week with all the wet weather that two of them had welded themselves to the metal valve stem due to corrosion

Short trip to local garage who managed to get them off without having to replace the tyre valve and now consigned to the bin and replaced with standard black plastic ones.

Moral of the story...fit aluminium/alloy valve caps at your own peril!!!!!

Pic of offending part attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I've had similar problems but not with the genuine Audi items, a small smear of anti seize also helps.
    Steeve

1st Gear

Status
    You are ok if you squirt them with a bit of WD40 first. I personally hate the black plastic ones so have always swapped them with no problems after a little bit of WD40...
    Using Tapatalk

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the warning, I was considering these at one point, won't bother now! It's such a tiny item I'm just not that bothered about them being plastic!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by robo1million View Post
    You are ok if you squirt them with a bit of WD40 first. I personally hate the black plastic ones so have always swapped them with no problems after a little bit of WD40...
    Might have been the particular valve caps I had, hence posting the pic. but I tried WD40 but to no avail, all I manged to do when i put pliers to them after soaking them in WD40 and leaving for a good few mins was to turn the whole valve, hence trip to the garage. If was only one would have done it myself but with only one spare......
    Ecosphere likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    I've had similar problems but not with the genuine Audi items, a small smear of anti seize also helps.
    Will go for genuine parts next time

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Might have been the particular valve caps I had, hence posting the pic. but I tried WD40 but to no avail, all I manged to do when i put pliers to them after soaking them in WD40 and leaving for a good few mins was to turn the whole valve, hence trip to the garage. If was only one would have done it myself but with only one spare......
    Sorry mate I meant before you put on to prevent the corrosion occurring.
    Using Tapatalk

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by robo1million View Post
    Sorry mate I meant before you put on to prevent the corrosion occurring.
    I did when first fitted but not since...thats probably the mistake, quick squirt of the stuff every time you check the tyres...lesson learnt

6th Gear

Status
    Hi, is this not a problem with the type of metal used on the valve itself and the reaction to aluminium screw cap? I think I have read about this before...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Hi, is this not a problem with the type of metal used on the valve itself and the reaction to aluminium screw cap? I think I have read about this before...
    Think that was part of the problem, reckon they were mainly if not all aluminium, so was a horrendous amount of white oxide on the valve stems when the caps were removed.

4th Gear

Status
    There are chrome plated steel ones and aluminium ones out there, stay clear, they both oxidise. The nasty things about the plain plastic one though is that they don't generally have any seals inside. Even the OEM metal ones have a seal. Just another thing to help should there be any seepage from the valve itself, which is not common these days.
    Steeve

1st Gear

Status
    That's incredibly unlucky... I've had cheapish ones off ebay on mine for ages now and they're as sweet as a nut to remove.

1st Gear

Status
    Has some on my last A1 which were knicked, I found out later that they can have problems sticking to the valve, so it was a blessing in disguise.

Dont think I would bother in the future, although the plastic ones are a bit naff, they dont have the chance of being knicked or sticking to the valves.

Thanks for the warning Dave, just reinforces why I shouldn't buy them
    Last edited by Cumbrian_bob; 4th January 2014 at 13:34.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor