Badger5EM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lee_fr200

Thread: Can electrically folding mirrors be retrofitted?

1st Gear

Status

Can electrically folding mirrors be retrofitted?

Looking at used A3s, this option appears to rarely be selected. My current car has these and whilst it isn't much effort to fold mirrors yourself, it is a really nice feature to have. If this can be retrofitted, is this advisable to do so and will it void any Audi warranty that comes with the car?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd have thought it would be easy, if the wiring block is behind the door card then it's just a case of sourcing the mirrors the correct switch panel and there you go,

5th Gear

Status
    But then there will be the coding for them, because you can select options for them in the MMI etc
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah, but it'll cost ya!

A3 8V - 2012>

5th Gear

Status
    It's it £850 on there!? Ouch.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

1st Gear

Status
    At £150 on BTO I don't know why no one seems to choose it!

2nd Gear

Status
    850 ouch

Would rather spec at time of ordering!

Like heated seats look at how much they are lol
    cemerson likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Well you have to pay for whole new seats I guess, whereas speccing them at the point of order just means you pay the difference in cost between the heated and the non heated ones!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Could buy the part from Audi and get someone to code it cheaper than 850 lol

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Well you have to pay for whole new seats I guess, whereas speccing them at the point of order just means you pay the difference in cost between the heated and the non heated ones!
    The heated elements are pads within the seats like an electric blanket. Seats are same.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_fr200 View Post
    850 ouch

Would rather spec at time of ordering!

Like heated seats look at how much they are lol
    Its not £850, its £1020 &its not just a case of getting the parts & 5 minute job to fit.

It wont void any warranty, usually they cover if its not a massive thing as they put it down to factory spec listed wrong, but if they pick it up, they would not warranty those parts retrofitted, however when we install, we warranty the install & to date haven't had to warranty any installs of these

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Def spec it new if you need them then

5th Gear

Status
    When I was ordering my car I didn't consider adding these, but the dealer told me if he had only one suggestion for optional extras it would be the electric folding mirrors! I'm so glad I took his advice as I find them invaluable. The kerbside dipping mirror is worth the extra by itself, and the fact they tuck away neatly when you lock the car is great. Now I've found out they cost nearly 7x as much to retrofit i'm pleased I added them on from new
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh same - I was actually more wanting the auto-dimming than the folding, so had to go for the £250 upgrade, but glad I did now. The folding is great as well! I have never used the auto-dipping function though, as the reversing camera makes it less necessary.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Think anyone would be off there head spending that amount to retrofit though, I love my folding mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen C View Post
    Looking at used A3s, this option appears to rarely be selected. My current car has these and whilst it isn't much effort to fold mirrors yourself, it is a really nice feature to have. If this can be retrofitted, is this advisable to do so and will it void any Audi warranty that comes with the car?
    Even the parts are expensive when purchased as parts. The one great advantage of buying a brand new car is that you can specify exactly what you want on your new car. This is the main reason I always buy brand new. I would very much doubt if their is another A3 in the UK that is the same as mine with all the same options.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    I wish I had ordered the folding mirrors but to be honest for me would have been a serious luxury item

2nd Gear

Status
    Rly? When buying a 20-30k car what's 150/250 quid I'm currently trying to save 8k just for my options which ain't easy lol

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_fr200 View Post
    Rly? When buying a 20-30k car what's 150/250 quid I'm currently trying to save 8k just for my options which ain't easy lol
    Mine was an oversight but tbh was purely a gadget as I don't need them

As for others like most your budget stops somewhere