Driving and somwhere to stay in The North York Moors

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having just had a interesting thread about good driving roads and places to stay in Wales, has anyone any experience of driving and places to stay in the North York Moors. It's somewhere I have never been and I am considering going to that area sometime next year. I've been to York several times but never to the Moors area.

Plunkets in York is good. ;-) beer and restaurants better in Bristol!

There's a hotel just near flamingo land and that's a nice place, you could make a weekend of it and stay in the log cabins in Dalby forest!

I drive the north York moors every week for work and on a good day when it's hooked up it's quite a fun drive past raf fylingdales on the route to Whitby,

If you're coming to North Yorks all the way from down there, it'd be rude not to do the Buttertubs Pass. Runs from Thwaite in Swaledale over the moor to Hawes in Wensleydale.

If you want an idea of what it's like to drive then look at this video (sorry about the sound...) Link.

Or for a more scenic look, Clarkson has done this road a couple of times. Link. And Link.

Pickering is a good base, nice town too............

There's a hotel just near flamingo land and that's a nice place, you could make a weekend of it and stay in the log cabins in Dalby forest!

I drive the north York moors every week for work and on a good day when it's hooked up it's quite a fun drive past raf fylingdales on the route to Whitby,

I intend to stay for probably 6 nights. I prefer a Pub/Inn to a hotel and so far I have come across the The Horse Shoe Inn in Levisham. Anyone visited or stayed their.

We do a lot of hotels and pubs with our equipment

The beansheaf just outside Pickering is a nice little pub/hotel

Or you could stay in malton

Shoulder of Mutton Inn,Middleton Tyas does lovely food if your in the vicinity David and the lanes around Catterick are good,the Whitby run has good views of the Moors and points of interests are the radar station and the remains of the Slaughtered Lamb but plenty of stop off points on the way to take in the views,a favourite with walkers.

I always enjoyed 'B road Britain' it had some great looking places to visit.

Anywhere around the Hawes area, up past the Ribblehead viaduct and up over the tops out towards Ingleton are some nice fun roads. :)

Anywhere around the Hawes area, up past the Ribblehead viaduct and up over the tops out towards Ingleton are some nice fun roads. :)

I agree. I've driven around quite a bit of the Yorkshire Dales but I have never been to the North York Moors which is why I thought I would have a change this time. Someone has also suggested the Buttertubs Pass down into Hawes so I may well cross over the A1 and come back through the Dales. It would be a good way to enjoy a few hours on the way back, which will be on a Saturday and the A1 get quite quiet on a Saturday evening.

Reactions: StefRobinson
There are a lot of nice hotels in Malton and Pickering. I would drive from Malton/Pickering to Whitby Via Goathland A169 then Whitby to Scarborough, then finish back to Pickering all on the A170.

Then on your second day. visit Sutton Bank, up the A1 to Bedale, layburn then Hawes, then down to Settle.

These are 2 of my favorite drives in this area. then pop in at Bettys in Harrogate for a cup of tea.

Spent lots of time at Sutton Bank, good gliding club there :)

There are a lot of nice hotels in Malton and Pickering. I would drive from Malton/Pickering to Whitby Via Goathland A169 then Whitby to Scarborough, then finish back to Pickering all on the A170.

Then on your second day. visit Sutton Bank, up the A1 to Bedale, layburn then Hawes, then down to Settle.

These are 2 of my favorite drives in this area. then pop in at Bettys in Harrogate for a cup of tea.

The A169 and A170 looking interesting looking at them on Google Street View. Perhaps some of the road in the Dales on the other side of the A1 as well as I will stay in the area for 6 days Sunday to Saturday. I've stayed in Harrogate a couple of years ago and liked it very much so another visit I think. I seem to remember a nice Chinese that do a superb buffet as well.

Both the Dales and North York Moors are very easy to get to for me as I only live about half a mile from the A1. Much easier in fact than going to Wales.

Last edited:
The A169 and A170 looking interesting looking at them on Google Street View. Perhaps some of the road in the Dales on the other side of the A1 as well as I will stay in the area for 6 days Sunday to Saturday. I've stayed in Harrogate a couple of years ago and liked it very much so another visit I think. I seem to remember a nice Chinese that do a superb buffet as well.

If you stay in Harrogate, give me a call I will meet up with you.

Skipton, Grassington, and Malham are great places to drive to. If you get the time vist the Lake District.