• 4 Post By pat15312
  • 1 Post By RobH_S3
  • 1 Post By geefunk1978
  • 1 Post By Dan_G

Thread: S3 Saloon tested in EVO issue 192

5th Gear

Status

S3 Saloon tested in EVO issue 192

Any one seen the test of new S3 Saloon ,it got a bit of a slating to be honest!
    Must say I like the look of it though.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Understeer and **** steering feedback mentioned ?

3rd Gear

Status
    I was right :

Apologies if this feels familiar – and it’s as frustrating for me to keep writing it as it is for you to keep reading it – but the thing that really lets the S3 Saloon down is its steering. The electrical assistance has a nasty synthesised weight to it. It can be adjusted via the different ‘Drive Select’ programs, none of which give more than a fleeting impression of what the front wheels are thinking. There’s a predictable abundance of grip and the chassis has a nice, neutral balance at higher speeds, but the S3 Saloon follows (most of) its forebears in having absolutely no enthusiasm for exploring the area where adhesion starts to fade. The front runs out of grip and basically that’s your lot.
    Trickz likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Usual mags over reaction. I'd love tgem to drive cars not knowing the manufacturer
    rams_s3 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Same steering as all the s3's so whats the problem. The whole a3 range can be described as having steering thats lacking in feel. Its all down to having electrical assistance. If you look at road tests for the mk3 ford focus you will find something similar.....
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    Presumably this occurs when really pushing on, not on everyday?

I used to drive my A4 hard and only got it to understeer occasionally, in the wet, and it was easily corrected by coming off the power a bit....

Reverse Gear

Status
    They seemed to like it here: 2014 Audi S3 saloon review, specs and pictures

3rd Gear

Status
    all the S3s need a proper mechanical differential IMHO.
    kanecullen89 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_G View Post
    Presumably this occurs when really pushing on, not on everyday?

I used to drive my A4 hard and only got it to understeer occasionally, in the wet, and it was easily corrected by coming off the power a bit....
    Yes, only when driven on the absolute limits, which will lose you your licence if you drive like that on ordinary roads. All front wheel drive cars understeer, it is dialled into them and it would seem that because of the way the Quattro setup works even the S3 will do the same. However I think that the levels of adhesion is far higher than that of just front wheel drive...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    all the S3s need a proper mechanical differential IMHO.
    Walter Röhrl, why don't you just cancel your order and stop moaning about how crap the S3 is.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Yes, only when driven on the absolute limits, which will lose you your licence if you drive like that on ordinary roads. All front wheel drive cars understeer, it is dialled into them and it would seem that because of the way the Quattro setup works even the S3 will do the same. However I think that the levels of adhesion is far higher than that of just front wheel drive...
    Wrong, Megane 250/265 understeers less.
    FWD, but a well sorted chasis/suspension set up and differential make all the difference on the turn in compared to the S3.

Shame the guys at Audi didn't spend a bit of time in improving the chasis, suspension and at least offering a diff as an option.
    Appears they have relied on Quattro alone.

It's not that bad though and something I'll live with, but will admit there are competitors to the S3 that corner far, far better (without having to drive like a lunatic either).
    Last edited by CraigI; 29th December 2013 at 23:34.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    Walter Röhrl, why don't you just cancel your order and stop moaning about how crap the S3 is.
    Agreed!
    Build week 8: S3 SB, S-Tronic, Glacier, SS Seats, Comfort, Park Plus, Camera, Cruise, Tech Pack High, Pano Roof, Keyless, B&O, Pur, Privacy, Black Inlays, LED Light Pack, Through Load, Silver Rails, Folding Mirrors, Pressure Monitor,

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    FWD, but a well sorted chasis/suspension set up and differential make all the difference on the turn in compared to the S3.

Shame the guys at Audi didn't spend a bit of time in improving the chasis, suspension and at least offering a diff as an option.

It's not that bad though and something I'll live with, but will admit there are competitors to the S3 that corner far, far better (without having to drive like a lunatic either).
    I think the competitor to that Megane will be the RS3

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm considering cancellation tbh. However, IMO the car is fundamentally flawed without a diff. My wife however likes it as it's black and comfortable. Go figure.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    I'm considering cancellation tbh. However, IMO the car is fundamentally flawed without a diff. My wife however likes it as it's black and comfortable. Go figure.
    To be honest if the car is that flawed u cannot believe at all why you haven't cancelled the order. Who knowingly buys a flawed product when the flaw really annoyed them and makes the product almost unusable?

Did the previous S3 have a duff sorry I mean diff?

2nd Gear

Status
    Funny thing is I don't even think it would take that much to dial out the under steer.

Steering you'll just have to live with but again none of this is that bad.

Personally the S3 does it all. Comfy, practical, fast in all conditions and with a few "tweeks" can be so much better so easily.

What else are you gonna buy though? The megane is pointless as you have a GT3 coming and that's the most focused hot hatch. Tbh the S3 would be a perfect stable mate to the GT3 for every day use or an A45 AMG.
    kenny_boon likes this.
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

3rd Gear

Status
    I love how journo's make a decision on a car they drive for about 2hrs. Car ownership is completely different to having a go in one for an hour or two. What a car is like to live with day in day out is the most important thing when you are outlaying that much money. If you're going to drive at 10/tenths all the time (which is virtually impossible on modern roads) then an S3 is not for you.
    Wish people would stop moaning about a car they don't even own yet cuz they've listened to a journo doing a road test.
    kenny_boon likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post

So what is so different about the differential on the Renault to the S3? As I stated it is the S3's setup that gives this front wheel bias if the Renault has a diff that is there to prevent understeer then it isn't the same as common front wheel drive cars. By the way, on normal roads, the Megane isn't as good as the Focus ST neither is it as much fun the Megane only beats the ST on the track. I haven't driven a Megane but I understand it is essentially a track car but I seriously doubt that a front wheel drive car can have a limit of adhesion greater than a four wheel drive one.

Besides, any driver that is driving a car beyond the point of its adhesion are driving dangerously and beyond the car's and the road conditions limits, whether or whether not the limits of some aren't as high as others.
    Last edited by cuke2u; 30th December 2013 at 11:24.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    So what is so different about the differential on the Renault to the S3? As I stated it is the S3's setup that gives this front wheel bias if the Renault has a diff that is there to prevent understeer then it isn't the same as common front wheel drive cars. By the way, on normal roads, the Megane isn't as good as the Focus ST neither is it as much fun the Megane only beats the ST on the track. I haven't driven a Megane but I understand it is essentially a track car but I seriously doubt that a front wheel drive car can have a limit of adhesion greater than a four wheel drive one.

Besides, any driver that is driving a car beyond the point of its adhesion are driving dangerously and beyond the car's and the road conditions limits, whether or whether not the limits of some aren't as high as others.

1st Gear

Status
    They are still just a Renault and a Ford.

They would have to come with a trailer full of naked cheerleaders for me to even consider looking twice at either - let alone owning one.
    pat15312 likes this.