How far ahead to order

Avallon

Reaction score
Hi,

New member, although I've lurked for a couple of weeks now.

Currently drive an A4 B8 2.0 TDIe, with a lease expiring in Aug 14. My current shortlist consists of an S3 and E-Class Cab (surprisingly they're both roughly the same on finance). I'd like to get the S3 Saloon as it is essentially the same as my A4 minus about 8 inches of length (actual not male scale) but that will likely be more, so the actual shortlisted option will likely be the Sportback.

Am I too early to start looking and thinking of placing an order or is it worthwhile pursuing this now to make sure I keep all options open?

Hi,

Currently drive an A4 B8 2.0 TDIe, with a lease expiring in Aug 14. My current shortlist consists of an S3 and E-Class Cab (surprisingly they're both roughly the same on finance). I'd like to get the S3 Saloon as it is essentially the same as my A4 minus about 8 inches of length (actual not male scale) but that will likely be more, so the actual shortlisted option will likely be the Sportback.

Am I too early to start looking and thinking of placing an order or is it worthwhile pursuing this now to make sure I keep all options open?

Hi and welcome to the forum. My dealer was quoting 16 weeks for a 'normal' A3 Sportback just before Christmas although it may be longer for the S3 Sportback. I always start looking nice and early, especially if you want a decent test drive as it can sometimes be a problem finding dealers with suitable demonstrators and it can take time to get your head round all the various options offered for each model. Download the Pricing and Specification Guide from the Audi UK website and start looking.....

Hi,

I ordered my S3 SB 3rd December, build date confirmed 3rd February, looking at early March delivery.

Hope this helps mate.

Reactions: Avallon
Welcome Avallon... Dave is right, start looking.

What an unusual shortlist A4 > E Class Cab or S3 Saloon??

If I were you I would decide what your needs are car wise.

The A5 Cab is a fine motor and similar lease cost to E Class which I think is 5h17e..

or maybe A3/S3 Cab.

I would avoid Mercedes like the plague, I bought a c class coupe in February brand new. It was in the garage every month. The e class I got as a courtesy car had the engine management light on with 500 miles of me getting it. Mercedes aren't what they used to be and it's a brand I certainly won't be going back to.
I rejected the car and Mercedes took it back and compensated me.

Moved to Audi and have been issue and problem free. I know sometimes it's down to luck but the courtesy car I have just now is a B class and it's a rattly wee ******. Rear number plate housing fell off as well!

With Mercedes you buy a brand, with an Audi you buy a car. The a5 cab or s3 gets my vote

Reactions: Avallon and PilotAudi
I would only recommend a quattro Cab.. the FWD is rather skittish!

Hmm thanks guys, that made me consider something I've not looked at yet, lease cost for an A5 Cab Petrol - which is considerably cheaper than the Diesel A5s.

To try and make sense of the history:

I went to an Audi Sport event held by my local dealership at Cadwel Park where I had an unattended test drive in a blue RS5 Cab with silver interior (really hope it didn't have a black box! :p) I absolutely loved that car - but can't afford the full experience so I've been looking at ways of getting as close as possible within my affordability envelope.

My first port of call was a slower A5 Diesel Cab (drive up to 18k p/a) - this would set me back £475 p/m in basic spec. I really need to avoid spending more than £450.

I then had a look at an A3 Cab which is approx. £375 in basic spec.

However I found that you can get an E Class Cab for the same kind of money with leather, xenons, part-LED, full MMI equivalent sat nav and park assist. Hence it went on the shortlist :) (although probably in AMG Sport spec at £420 p/m). This will give a luxury Cab experience within my affordability envelope and without it looking like I bought an A3 Cab because I can't afford the A5 Cab.

The S3 came about by me making the jump from A3 Cab to coming across the forthcoming S3 Cab which I am unlikely to be able to afford (but would be ideal as it provides equivalent performance to the RS5 Cab with significantly lower running costs). I then found out about the S3 sport back/saloon where I can get RS5 like performance without the open roof but with up to 40 mpg.

Hopefully that makes more sense :)

PS. please somebody tell me that it makes sense to order now rather than wait for the price of the Saloon to come down and that it's perfectly reasonable to order 8-9 months ahead? :p

PS. please somebody tell me that it makes sense to order now rather than wait for the price of the Saloon to come down and that it's perfectly reasonable to order 8-9 months ahead? :p

Ordering 8-9 months ahead doesnt make sense, some of the options that are extra will become standard over time, and some options wont even exist for a newer version.

If I were you I would just enjoy the hunting for a new car, I resume that with your leasing package you can still do the test drives?

Also there ight be other cars out in that time, TT due a replacement but might be 2014/15

I would leave the S3 on the list, its affordable, has the interior class of the A5 range (if actually not a touch better) and the performance is S quality, so pretty close to RS quality for everyday fun (but not the same in reality putting the two side by side).

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I figured that would be the sensible approach.

My company car scheme is very limited, I'd have to upgrade my entitlement to obtain another A4 so I'm looking to leave it.

One thing I found out was the guaranteed future market value of a merc is grossly over inflated. If you are after a merc, the cls has some great deals, a friend of mine went to Giffnock mercedes and was given £14k discount with no haggling for a diesel amg sport cls. The payments worked out at £430 a month for him. Now that lists at £50,000 and so that is a seriously good price. If you are getting it to replace before the warranty expires that would be a better option than an e class

Ordering 8-9 months ahead doesnt make sense, some of the options that are extra will become standard over time, and some options wont even exist for a newer version.

If I were you I would just enjoy the hunting for a new car, I resume that with your leasing package you can still do the test drives?

Also there ight be other cars out in that time, TT due a replacement but might be 2014/15

I would leave the S3 on the list, its affordable, has the interior class of the A5 range (if actually not a touch better) and the performance is S quality, so pretty close to RS quality for everyday fun (but not the same in reality putting the two side by side).

The only time this will happen is build week 22 I think (late May / early June). If you can find out what changes are being made and make sure you order at a point where you know your car will be built after that date, you're all good. I suspect TPMS will be standard for the MY2015 model for one, not sure what other changes there will be though.

One thing I found out was the guaranteed future market value of a merc is grossly over inflated. If you are after a merc, the cls has some great deals, a friend of mine went to Giffnock mercedes and was given £14k discount with no haggling for a diesel amg sport cls. The payments worked out at £430 a month for him. Now that lists at £50,000 and so that is a seriously good price. If you are getting it to replace before the warranty expires that would be a better option than an e class

The GMFV is certainly higher than with other brands so there is a better chance of walking away with equity buying an Audi - I'd prefer a lower monthly payment though. I did have a look at the CLS and appreciate it's more upmarket, but if I stick to a closed roof, should I not just get an S3?

Cls has a good bit of class about it, and diesel as well for that price. Depends on if you want a mercedes or Audi. Best thing to do is test drive before buying