• 1 Post By CraigI
  • 1 Post By SilureMark
  • 1 Post By Cumbrian_bob
  • 1 Post By kenny_boon
  • 1 Post By Itguy
  • 2 Post By lee_fr200
  • 2 Post By CraigI
  • 3 Post By keyser

Thread: Fuel consumption for S3 sportback?

1st Gear

Status

Fuel consumption for S3 sportback?

What kind of ave mpg are you chaps getting on the s tronic S3 SB? Thanks in advance of replies. Mark

Oh, finally ordered my S3 SB on Tuesday. Went with glacier white and the super sport seats, plus all the usual stuff, sat nav, B&O etc. Getting the alloys painted gloss black when it gets to the dealer next year. Now the wait... urgghh!
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    What kind of ave mpg are you chaps getting on the s tronic S3 SB? Thanks in advance of replies. Mark

Oh, finally ordered my S3 SB on Tuesday. Went with glacier white and the super sport seats, plus all the usual stuff, sat nav, B&O etc. Getting the alloys painted gloss black when it gets to the dealer next year. Now the wait... urgghh!
    A few comments about this so far on other S3 specific threads. Think the general idea is you will be looking round the low/mid 30s normal driving. Proper Eco driving some have claimed low 40s! And a smile on your face mid 20's!

Do guys reckon we can get about 350 miles to a tank?
    PilotAudi likes this.
    On Order - Audi S3 SB S-tronic, Estoril Blue, Black Alcantara Leather, Aluminium Roof Rails, Advance Key, ACC, LED Lights, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Non-Smoking Pack, Parking System Plus, Reverse Camera, B+O Sound System, Electric Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Electric Lumbar + Adjustable Seats, High Beam Assist, Hill Hold, Load Through, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Tech Pack High with Audi Connect!!!

Provisional Build Week 4!

1st Gear

Status
    Similar to what bleedsoff says, I got about 320 out of a tank. I think mid 30s will be the normal MPG.

If you keep it in economy mode and accelerate slow and steady, never go parst 70 you should get 40mpg, but to be honest you should have bought a different car, there are other cars that will do the same and return mch beter mpg.

Drive it hard, I reckon you might even be able to get an average below 20
    Battlekrapz likes this.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    I got about 320 out of a tank.
    Do you mean you do 320miles between fill-ups, or the DIS says 320 miles remaining when you fill up?

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm getting about 24mpg average. I've only done short journeys most of the time though. It's not much different to my last 8P S3 so I reckon you'd have to be driving like an old dear to get nearly 40mpg.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzz View Post
    Do you mean you do 320miles between fill-ups, or the DIS says 320 miles remaining when you fill up?
    320 between fill ups. The DIS has said 370.

I would say for the accelation and power the MPG is pretty impressive
    Gazzz likes this.
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

Neutral

Status
    I filled up lst week and worked out the mpg at 28.2. That was with a couple of runs down the motorway and a little bit of fun, but it still has only 500 miles on the clock so i've been taking it easy.

Im my experience it will get better as the miles go on, depending how you drive it
    S3 Sportback Solid Red, S-Tronic, Techno, Comfort, Privacy, Interior Lights, Alcantara/Leather, Advanced Key, Aluminium Roof Rails.

3rd Gear

Status
    25 for me.
    Not bad.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for that everyone. The S3 SB I had before I managed around 32 mpg most of the time. Could get it to 36 on steady A road driving and I think on one country lane thrash I once achieved 14mpg! I wasn't expecting miracles with the new car, despite Audi's claims of combined 40mpg! If it can give me anything over 30 on the commute to work I will be happy with that. Thanks again for the replies. Just out of interest, what about the manual gearbox? When I had a loaner S3 SB in manual for a week, it was at least 3mpg better than the S tronic on my daily commute. I found the same thing with the TTS I had when I drove the manual version, but, on the TT RS I had, the S tronic was better the manual, albeit when I asked the question on the TT Forum - which I think was down to having that 7th gear? What do you think?
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    Thanks for that everyone. The S3 SB I had before I managed around 32 mpg most of the time. Could get it to 36 on steady A road driving and I think on one country lane thrash I once achieved 14mpg! I wasn't expecting miracles with the new car, despite Audi's claims of combined 40mpg! If it can give me anything over 30 on the commute to work I will be happy with that. Thanks again for the replies. Just out of interest, what about the manual gearbox? When I had a loaner S3 SB in manual for a week, it was at least 3mpg better than the S tronic on my daily commute. I found the same thing with the TTS I had when I drove the manual version, but, on the TT RS I had, the S tronic was better the manual, albeit when I asked the question on the TT Forum - which I think was down to having that 7th gear? What do you think?
    When I was talking to my dealer the other day he told me that they have found from experience that the best figure to work with when estimating mpg is to take the Combined test figure and take off 20%. So in your case that would be 40mpg less 20% (8mpg) = 32mpg which is spot on the figure you are getting.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Rarely neutral

Status
    Would be interesting to see what some of you get with mapped engines.

A lot of us with the previous model find the car will go further after remaps(obviously if you just drive for economy) than before....not that you would with an S3 of course.....but if you did....

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by geefunk1978 View Post
    I'm getting about 24mpg average. I've only done short journeys most of the time though. It's not much different to my last 8P S3 so I reckon you'd have to be driving like an old dear to get nearly 40mpg.
    Same here around 25MPG, but i've only totalled 1100 kms in mine.
    # Currently enjoying my Audi S3 8V Sportback in Estoril blue #

2nd Gear

Status
    See for me during work I need a car that's will achieve 40mpg (I drive like a total granny at work as I get paid for my travelling and on site time so it would be daft not to) obviously out of work I don't rly care what it achieves as long as when at work I can put the drive select into Eco set the cruise control to 55/60mph on the motorways and sit back

Plus I'm hearing the petrol will be cheaper to service than the diesel (petrol serviced every 20k diesel every 10k) and where I am petrol is 8p a litre cheaper than diesel

1st Gear

Status
    Just as an example, I went to Belgium which was 400 miles each way. Due to be in convoy it was all 70-75mph and I got 41mpg and made it on a tank full. I was shocked at this at the time.

Day to day driving brings me about 28mpg on varied driving.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylock View Post
    Just as an example, I went to Belgium which was 400 miles each way. Due to be in convoy it was all 70-75mph and I got 41mpg and made it on a tank full. I was shocked at this at the time.

Day to day driving brings me about 28mpg on varied driving.

So if I do a good run on the motorway which I usually do at around 55/60 it might do pretty good then over distance

1st Gear

Status
    It should do, I guess as long as there isn't much traffic causing you to keep slowing and accelerating.

3rd Gear

Status
    If economy is a high priority perhaps the S3 isn't the best option.
    It's not the worst car I've had, but it's never going to be anywhere near 40 mpg, I doubt I'll see anything into the 30's - these kind of cars are to be driven, and driven properly which will keep your average mid 20's, unless you are doing long motorway stints.

I'd expect you'd double the mpg in a diesel A3.
    the_lecht_rocks likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    ^^^^^^^^^^

exactly ? if you're getting >25mpg why buy a 300hp 4wdriver anyway ?

it's a bit like the blokes that buy Fireblades and use them on the road, pointless. performance paid for that never gets used. makes no sense to me.

1st Gear

Status
    Economy isn't high my list or I'd be just getting another 320D and not an S3 SB. But these days at least 30mpg average when you're not driving it quickly, from even a performance orientated car, is expected I think. Sounds like the new S3 is drinking about the same as the last one.
    stetheo likes this.

Banned

Status
    New 8V S3 is about. 30% more economical than 8P on combined cycle. Lighter more fuel efficient lower CO2 .. I'm hoping for 30ish+

1st Gear

Status
    For me, it's about having the best of both worlds....

I drive probably 70% motorway which is dull, but a necessity, and for that I want 40mpg+.

However, when I am off the motorway I want something that is great to drive quickly in, can get me home in all weathers and is fun, lots and lots of fun and I am happy to drop the mpg considerably. Price also comes into the equation.

I considered an S4 and a B7 RS4, but neither gave me the mpg I wanted most of the time, but ticked the second set of boxes.

This is my daily driver and I still have an old 911 for speeding around in at the weekend (for now) and a cabriolet when I want to remind myself how bad FWD cars are...

Although I have a hankering for a 997 c4s with PDK now too...

1st Gear

Status
    There is the other thought, that the S3 as a everyday car rather than a weekend car, if I need to travel some distance, then I want to get some decent MPG and I think you could ctually achieve that in economy mode and keeping the speed down.

When I travel from Cumbria to Cornwall for a weeks caming with the roof box on the top and full boot I will expect to get 30+mpg with carefull driving.

If the weather eases up I will be having a nice drive allong the A686 (Penrith to Hexham via Alston) and expect to get less than 20mpg, the road is really good, despite being used by clyclists, and motorbikes, there is a good amount of view of the road so you can have a bit of fun. Also stop at the Hartside Cafe for a nice cupa and big bit of cake.

So less thn 20 to over 30 is what I expect, I will also try a nice hypermiling trip in economy mode some time just for the challenge
    kenny_boon likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^

it's a bit like the blokes that buy Fireblades and use them on the road, pointless. performance paid for that never gets used. makes no sense to me.
    I don't get this argument at all, just because you buy a fast car doesn't mean you drive it flat out everywhere! Some people want a car that's capable for a blast but also want a decent mpg on a long journey. I say decent, not good, very good or Tdi level just decent.

To be honest if I was after 20mpg I wouldn't be driving a 2litre

We all are after a quick car and we will all drive the s3 the was we see fit for a performance car. The capability if say mid 30s will appeal to many owners for the long motorway runs
    Battlekrapz likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_boon View Post

Damn right. If I was looking for 20mpg I'd be driving an 06/07 plate AM v8 vantage.
    kenny_boon likes this.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    There is the other thought, that the S3 as a everyday car rather than a weekend car, if I need to travel some distance, then I want to get some decent MPG and I think you could ctually achieve that in economy mode and keeping the speed down.

When I travel from Cumbria to Cornwall for a weeks caming with the roof box on the top and full boot I will expect to get 30+mpg with carefull driving.

If the weather eases up I will be having a nice drive allong the A686 (Penrith to Hexham via Alston) and expect to get less than 20mpg, the road is really good, despite being used by clyclists, and motorbikes, there is a good amount of view of the road so you can have a bit of fun. Also stop at the Hartside Cafe for a nice cupa and big bit of cake.

So less thn 20 to over 30 is what I expect, I will also try a nice hypermiling trip in economy mode some time just for the challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_boon View Post
    I don't get this argument at all, just because you buy a fast car doesn't mean you drive it flat out everywhere! Some people want a car that's capable for a blast but also want a decent mpg on a long journey. I say decent, not good, very good or Tdi level just decent.

We all are after a quick car and we will all drive the s3 the was we see fit for a performance car. The capability if say mid 30s will appeal to many owners for the long motorway runs
    This!

As I've said when at work I drive very steady as it benefits me so would be happy with 40mpg but then out of work I want something that will transform into an animal and also be able to do it in the snow and rain rather than just a 1 trick pony
    Last edited by lee_fr200; 28th December 2013 at 22:35.
    VeeDubDan and PilotAudi like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^

I take it your GT3 will be kept for the track then?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigI View Post
    I take it your GT3 will be kept for the track then?
    It's first weekend is being spent at Adenau and it's surrounding facilities

Neutral

Status
    Long term average currently sitting at 30.2mpg (after 1600 miles), which I'm chuffed to bits with. Have never had it out of Individual (engine dynamic, steering dynamic, sound comfort) mode. Best I get on a motorway run is around 35mpg in cruise control.

Half the time when you thrash it, you find you catch up with the car in front so fast that you have to hang back for 5 for an overtaking opportunity, so mpg ends up 18-28 depending on traffic. Oh, and still getting used to how easy overtaking is in this thing...coming from an 8P 2.0TDI 170!!
    kenny_boon, J6YAK and PilotAudi like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_fr200 View Post
    This!

As I've said when at work I drive very steady as it benefits me so would be happy with 40mpg but then out of work I want something that will transform into an animal and also be able to do it in the snow and rain rare than just a 1 trick pony
    Couldn't agree more