Damaged door?

Statiker

Reaction score
Yesterday my witch of a mother in law threw open the front passenger door of my sportback and it was caught in the high winds we are having at the moment. As the door hit the end stops there was a horrid sound of twisting metal! I've had a quick look and so far I've not seen any visible damage. The door closes ok and the alignment still looks okay. But, given the noise it made it can't believe something is not broken or damaged. Any ideas on what I should check for?

Happy Xmas!

Hopefully it was just flexing you heard, keep your fingers crossed.....
I would imagine if the door closes alright and the shut lines are still good then it's ok.

Make her use the bus from now on................

Same happened to me, but without the Witch bit.

The front door swung open to the maximum and i heard a loud crack with the horrendous wind. Checked it later in daylight, no visible signs of damage, door closes fine with no alignment problem.

Had this also in Renault van before, had to be re-aligned as hinges where all bent.

Hopefully it was just flexing you heard, keep your fingers crossed.....
I would imagine if the door closes alright and the shut lines are still good then it's ok.

Make her use the bus from now on................

Mine travels everywhere on her broomstick ;-)

Unfortunately mine is only 6 miles (10km) away. Well she's like a step mother-in-law really but hard work. !

Try using an LED Torch to check the joints where the door hinges and stay screw into the car for any cracked paintwork.

Might also be worth checking the front edge of the door paintwork (the part that folds into the front wing when opening the door)

I was out on Monday and saw people throwing their doors open, only for them to be caught by the wind. Painful as you describe, or bashing into the car parked next to them.

John.

Try using an LED Torch to check the joints where the door hinges and stay screw into the car for any cracked paintwork.

Might also be worth checking the front edge of the door paintwork (the part that folds into the front wing when opening the door)

I was out on Monday and saw people throwing their doors open, only for them to be caught by the wind. Painful as you describe, or bashing into the car parked next to them.

John.

Ouch!