Chris NottVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnnyM100

Thread: What's the little light on the door mirror?

3rd Gear

Status

What's the little light on the door mirror?

Hi All,
    Still on my voyage of discovery but I have found something the manual doesn't cover. When I was driving earlier I noticed the little light on the offside mirror (that flashes when indicating) was lit up white, but the nearside one was off. Later I noticed it was off too. I have heated folding mirrors but that's all. Any idea what it's telling me?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Banned

Status
    Try putting your hazards on and see what happens!

5th Gear

Status
    is it the blind spot system?
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    is it the blind spot system?
    I don't have that, and I think that uses a separate light nearer the window.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

6th Gear

Status
    Post a pic?

1st Gear

Status
    Seen this before it looks like the light is on but is actually see through, it alarms you that the indicator is on hence the orange glow. I did think it was to do with auto lights coming on also if this helps.
    Last edited by dieseldoug; 24th December 2013 at 21:13.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

3rd Gear

Status
    Trouble is, it was on for a while and then not. Hard to take a pic of it when actually driving but I'll see if I can spot a pattern for it coming on. My wife noticed it too so I'm not crazy. A constant white light. Didn't have lights on or set to auto, not indicating either. Weird.

1st Gear

Status
    It would be good to find out what it is then as I have noticed this before.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

2nd Gear

Status
    I haven't noticed the white light part of it. Could it just be incidental light from other headlights/sunlight shining through the wing mirror indicator repeater?

John.
    Richyboyp likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    I haven't noticed the white light part of it. Could it just be incidental light from other headlights/sunlight shining through the wing mirror indicator repeater?

John.
    Beginning to think it could have been, though we both were sure it was a real light at the time.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Beginning to think it could have been, though we both were sure it was a real light at the time.
    yea what you noticed is just sunlight or some other light hitting the lens and simply reflected through the lens medium.

There is only a single orange led bulb in the mirror turn signals, it was developed very cleverly using optics to channel the light through different paths to make it appear as though it has several bulbs when it illuminates.

I know all of this because i had to replace mine after my side mirror got clipped.

Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    yea what you noticed is just sunlight or some other light hitting the lens and simply reflected through the lens medium.

There is only a single orange led bulb in the mirror turn signals, it was developed very cleverly using optics to channel the light through different paths to make it appear as though it has several bulbs when it illuminates.

I know all of this because i had to replace mine after my side mirror got clipped.
    The ETKA parts catalogue only shows the single bulb in the mirror.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3