pressure release sound from engine bay when engine is stopped

karlabdool

Reaction score
hi all,
i have the fwd 1.8tfsi, 4700kms

does anyone hear a sort of hissing (pressure release) sound that pulses (hisss stop hiss stop etc.) when they switch off their engine when returning home from a trip with the car?? the sound only lasts a couple of seconds .

I am not sure if it is venting pressure from the turbo that might still be spinning slowly ( i do give a minute or 2 spool down time before i switch off)

i also noticed a very very mild oil stain on the plastic shield right below the oil fill cap. The cap seems to be spring loaded as well. I hope i do not have some kinda back pressure problem.
car doesnt seem to be burning any considerable amt of oil either.
Car drives fine tho.

any ideas?

I have the same engine. Not noticed a hiss but will keep my ears open.

I also have a small oil stain near to the filler cap. I check the oil level regularly and it doesn't seem to be burning much if any. I put the stain down to the dealer topping up the oil during the PDI.

Yea I think the oil was a bit overfilled and maybe some vapor came out when I did some red lining ? Who knows ? I read somewhere that the pulsing hissing could be a/c so I will have to drive without a/c and see. The hiss does seem to come from lower left area of engine bay

Thanks for your response Tim

3100ish, not had much chance to use the car since I got it at the beginning of September unfortunately.

Ok well it did lose some oil since last I checked. The level is a bit lower than half at the current mileage of 4700 kms . I'm monitoring it carefully and bought some top up oil incase it gets too low b4 5000 kms ( service)