Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tiresome Road Noise & Ride A3 SB

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow m0sbf On Twitter Add m0sbf on Google+
    It seems that the Conti Sport 5 AO Audi OEM tyres are not only noisy they have quite high rolling resistance (E rated). I have noticed my car uses less fuel on the ASY2's already. Audi probably fitted them because they have excellent handling characteristics. There doesn't seem to be any other logical reason!.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    May I suggest a Prius would be perfect for you?
    Don't think it would be as nice to drive as an A3, especially if I go for the 184 quattro s-tronic like yours. I don't mind listening to the sound of the car, providing there is not excessive noise from the tyres. I just prefer listening to music on my home hi-fi rather than in the car.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Don't think it would be as nice to drive as an A3, especially if I go for the 184 quattro s-tronic like yours. I don't mind listening to the sound of the car, providing there is not excessive noise from the tyres. I just prefer listening to music on my home hi-fi rather than in the car.
    TBH same here. I typically have news and sports channels on in the car. But it does always have to be something. I hate silence.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Banned

Status
    Silence is Golden

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Silence is Golden
    ... but B&O is better
    PilotAudi likes this.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    ... but B&O is better
    I was playing with oldie song titles for Dave agree B&O is brill

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Goodyear AS2 have a very quiet db rating, quieter that their low rolling resistance EfficientGrip too. That is one factor, the other as has been mentioned is the sidewall, softer walls more compliant and less likely to transmit noise in to the cabin wheras Bridgestones always usually stiffer will be harder and often noisier as a result.

Another thing with the pressure, I have run my A3 on around 32psi for a while now and though I'd put them up to the crazy AUDI figures, noticing a major increase in primary ride noise and jigglyness to the ride with little other benefit.

2nd Gear

Status
    *** bump ***

Status
    New tyres can be deceptive as the rubber has not been compacted by the weight of the car for any length of time and the tread blocks are at their deepest giving a sense of much lighter steering / improved ride.

I've had Conti's 3/5, Goodyear Assy, Toyo T1R, Mich PS2's, Uniroyal RainSport 2's and Dunlop Sport Maxx over my 7 years of S3 ownership.

I'd rate Michelin PS2 best for outright grip in dry, but they drone on grey cement motorway road surface really badly (PS3's supposed to be better for this)
    Goodyear I found to be best all-rounder, very competent in most situation, good on lack of noise intrusion
    Uniroyal best for wet weather cornering / grip
    Toyos, not really great at anything
    Conti's gave poor wear rate, high noise, and didn't seem exceptional at anything
    Only had Dunlops for 1000 miles before I put RS3 rims on, but they were generally good all rounder

If I had to buy today I'd buy Goodyear followed by Mich PS3 followed by Dunlop SM
    DAYTONA500 likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

5th Gear

Status
    I've heard really good things about dunlop sportmaxx RTs in particular - my Z4 will be due a new set of boots soon so i was going to try them as that's awful for road noise at the moment (current RF tyres don't help)
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm torn between Dunlop Sportmaxx RT, Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 and Falken ZE-914. Dunlop and Goodyear are a similar price, but Falken's are £30-40 cheaper each. I've had Falken ZE- 912 before and they were excellent in terms of grip and wear rate.

Also considering Michelin Pilot Super Sports if I'm feeling flush, but not sure if they'll be wasted on a daily driver.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

4th Gear

Status
    I have Sportmaxx RT on my 8P on the front.
    Fantastic tyre for grip in wet and dry but it seems a very soft compound.
    Mine have 3.5mm left after 6500 miles.
    Wearing too fast for my liking!
    Remind me of Yokohama's.
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

5th Gear

Status

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

4th Gear

Status
    I have the Continental tyres on mine. I find the road surface has a huge impact. But coming from a car with run flats anything is quiet and comfortable.
    Steeve

2nd Gear

Status
    FYI I've just found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics 225/40/18 92Y XL on Asda Tyres fully fitted for £115.90!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-Line 150ps, Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Privacy Glass, SD Sat Nav, Through Load, Aluminium Pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    FYI I've just found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics 225/40/18 92Y XL on Asda Tyres fully fitted for £115.90!
    My current 8P came with Hankook S1 evo tyres when in was new in 2012 and I have found them very accetable, both in grip and the noise level. I have just put two new ones. I went on-line and found some prices and mytyres.co.uk gave a fully fitted price of £95 each. I phones a local tyre depot and asked if they would match that price and they said yes so they fitted them for me.

The Hankook evo s1 are not that well known in the UK but are fitted a lot in Germany and they have been quite a number of reviews in German car magazine which rate the as very good and quieter than many others. Depending on what tyres come on my new 8V, I may change them for Hankook's especially if the tyres fitted from the factory are noisier than my present tyres.
    Last edited by h5djr; 15th February 2014 at 20:40.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

2nd Gear

Status
    I had a pair on my old mk5 Golf and they seemed pretty good.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by squiretolley View Post
    Actually found them cheaper at Formula One £104 per tyre fitted.

Call me Dan :)

Status

Tiresome Road Noise & Ride A3 SB

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    My current 8P came with Hankook S1 evo tyres when in was new in 2012 and I have found them very accetable, both in grip and the noise level. I have just put two new ones. I went on-line and found some prices and mytyres.co.uk gave a fully fitted price of £95 each. I phones a local tyre depot and asked if they would match that price and they said yes so they fitted them for me.

The Hankook evo s1 are not that well known in the UK but are fitted a lot in Germany and they have been quite a number of reviews in German car magazine which rate the as very good and quieter than many others. Depending on what tyres come on my new 8V, I may change them for Hankook's especially if the tyres fitted from the factory are noisier than my present tyres.
    I second that.
    Used the Hankooks to replace my run flats on my previous 1 series, 225/40/18 up front and 255/35/18 rear. Amazing tyre for the price and they gave me nearly 20000 motorway miles before I sold the car with at least 4mm tread remaining.
    Would 100% recommend them! they saw me through the snow as well and didn't get stuck once.
    Prefer them over my current ContiSports, actually would say the Hankooks gripped better as well, my 8V is terrible for wheel spin in dynamic mode!!
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Phantom Black | Leather Seats | Heated Seats | Black Optics | AMI | Badges Deletion | Rear Sunblind | Armrest | Darkened Glass | S3 Chrome Grill | H+R 10mm Spacers up Front | H+R 13mm Spacer at Rear | Mtec Cosmos Blue Bulbs | Cared for Paint Work |

Reverse Gear

Status
    We have an a3 8p s line company car found high levels of tyre noise from continentals Bridgestone etc. Dunlop sp sport maxx rt and Goodyear efficient grip drastically improve road noise and maintaining excellent wet/dry grip would highly recommend.
    Also found upgrading to eibach springs on the two sport models I've owned make the ride quality better as they are progressively wound springs and eliminate the crashy ride quality.

2nd Gear

Status
    Just ordered 2x Goodyear AYS2 225/40/18 fully fitted through F1 Autocentre for £197 total. Fantastic deal I think!

Neutral

Status
    Worst reading 82 dB on dB Meter phone app (says equivalent to an alarm clock !!)

I replied to this thread some time back as took delivery of my A3 January 3rd and noticed the problem from the start. The Continentals I have on seem really bad on some road surfaces and just plain bad on all others. Has anyone else used a meter app to check what they are getting? It says inside a car should be 70dB. I also wonder if anyone has complained directly to Audi as surly they should be made aware of the problem. I really don't know if my dealer will have taken it further but unfortunately doubt it.
    It would be interesting to find out what others are getting dB wise with decent tyres on?

2nd Gear

Status
    I wouldn't trust a phone app. Even dedicated dB meters need to be used with an understanding of their limitations.
    Daveotto likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RossR View Post
    I wouldn't trust a phone app. Even dedicated dB meters need to be used with an understanding of their limitations.
    OK - However it would be interesting to find out whether, for instance, Goodyear equipped tyres from new are nearer 70dB.

2nd Gear

Status
    Only if you use the same app, on the same model of phone, held in the same manner, on the same road surface at the same speed.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RossR View Post
    Only if you use the same app, on the same model of phone, held in the same manner, on the same road surface at the same speed.
    OK lets just ask if anyone can sit an iphone on the drivers seat and let it record on a few road surfaces. It may be meaningless to you but could be interesting to some even if flawed.
    Can any one record only 70dB?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twig View Post
    I also wonder if anyone has complained directly to Audi as surely they should be made aware of the problem. I really don't know if my dealer will have taken it further but unfortunately doubt it.
    I complained to my dealer about the tyre noise shortly after I bought the car, but they didn't want to know. They just said it varied with different makes of tyre.

I've driven three A3s including my own, which had Pirelli (my car), Michelin and Bridgestone tyres. All are/were terrible for tyre noise, and on pretty much any surface. I also drove a Golf GT (Mk.7) with the identical Pirelli tyres as my car, and that was very quiet - a night and day difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12