Misano or Brilliant Red

Reaction score
Having difficulty choosing between Misano and Brilliant Red for my SB Sport, especially as I can't see any pearl effect when looking at a Misano demo car.

To my eyes, the Misano appears to be slightly orangey when compared to the Brilliant Red but, apart from this, I can't see much difference.

Can anyone who has Misano tell me what special effect does the pearl show?

Also, if I do spec Brilliant Red, do you think the resale value would suffer compared to a Misano finish?

By speccing Brilliant, the money I save could go towards other options, such as the Xenon pack, which I think are worthwhile......is my reasoning sound??

Cheers, Allan

I fancied having the Brilliant Red on my Sline but my dealer dissuaded me saying that ANY bright red coloured A3 will be worth less than say a Daytona or even Scuba one... Because it isn't as popular... But hey, trends change. (And the Mrs thought red was a 'girlie colour') so I went for Daytona... Personally, I can't see a lot of difference between the two except yes the Misano is maybe a little more 'orangey', but is it worth 500 notes+? I'd definitely put the money toward the Xenons - by all accounts pretty much as good as the LEDs and SO much more 'useful' than a bit of metal flake! (IMHO...) ;-)

Hi Allan

Yes you can see the pearl effect on a nice sunny day!

I too was told Misano red wasn't a popular colour when I bought the RS3 however I think the car looks stunning after washing & waxing !

Plus I had 3 x white Audi's & VW's so time for a change.

In my opinion Misano is a waste of money, looks no different to a base colour most of the time but if you are getting a S-Line then Daytona has my vote. The SB in just the base red looks very good, it still has a coat of lacquer anyway...

Last edited:
I quite like both reds and can tell the difference.

But I don't want a Red car as I like others prefer the understated look.

I quite like both reds and can tell the difference.

But I don't want a Red car as I like others prefer the understated look.

Yeah I had it down to misano or Estoril and in the end went Estoril as I wanted to keep more under the radar, plus the red S3 badge looks better against darker colours!

Reactions: PilotAudi
Have a look at the s3 colours thread on here, I posed a Misano next to a brilliant red. Yes you can tell the difference even on a cloudy day.

Hold an iphone torch up to the paint and you'll see the orange fleck in it.

Misano being Pearl will always be brighter on a brighter day.
On a darker day they'll look similar.
Brilliant Red will stay a constant colour no matter the condition.

Personally, I like the slightly orange tinge and think the brighter colour of the pearl shows off the cars lines better than the solid colour.

Pearl paint has always had better residuals than solid too, so if you care about that kind of thing........

I am not convinced that Misano red will have any extra residual than brilliant red.
I have never heard of a Dealer marking a car down for such a narrow difference.
Me personally I do prefer misano and think its a great colour, but I do really like brilliant red too and on the A3/S3 both look great.
It would be a tough choice for me too tbh.

I was tempted to buy a Misano red S3 but when I saw the 2 reds next to each other in the show room (one on a TTRS the other on a R8) I found it hard to tell them apart, in fact I thought the Misano was Solid Red at first as i couldn't see any flecks in it.

The Misano does have an orange tint to it, which I didn't want, I wanted RED. I then saw an A3 in Solid and that made my mind up.

At the end of the day its what your happy with, just go and see both colours.

I have a Brilliant Red S3 and a neighbour has a Missano A3 Saloon; yes the Missano looks orangey at certain times. Most of the time I can't tell that the Missano has effects. The solid is a deeper red and very 1980's Golf GTI - which I love. I didn't think paying extra for the missano was worth it; but for people who like darker colours the Estoril aand panther have effects which stand out and are probabley worth the extra. In the end colour is a very personnal choice; I would suggest you go to a dealer that has both colours and compare yourself. Anyway whose to know now which colour will be most popular when you come to sell it in 3-4 years time - just get the one YOU like. Just my opinion.

Reactions: cuke2u and PilotAudi
Brilliant red is the best red I have ever seen on a car of any make! my mate tells me it's widely used on the bentleys he test drives.

I have the Misano red and looked at a few solid reds which is great too, but there is a noticeable difference even from a distance, but photos struggle to show it. Misano is brighter colour and slightly lighter and slightly orange in which i prefer in comparison to solid, it also has a naturally more shinny, finish when clean (weather not allowing for very long at the moment) But is not sparkly unless very close up, but I am not as keen in the glittery look. Misano only got about 4% on the colour poll and with pano as well makes mine a stand out and a bit more unique, I love it and get a lot of great comments on the colour and most think it looks great, except my dad who doesn't like red cars, but he has very conservative tastes, but with the masses of grey A3 it seams that most people want to be subtle and blend in and after 2 black cars I can see the appeal of that too. £500 for a slightly different colour is a lot but when you look at spending £25,000 ish is not a lot really to get colour you want. As for residuals most extras are money gone really anyway including paint, it's done for you not the next owner. Go for what you want.

Have seen that photo as is one of a set that every time the discussion comes up they get posted and they are all. Poor washed out photos and don't show the difference at all. quiet a few people prefer the solid red a is darker and more of a cherry red compared to the Misano but is definitely different.

I really wanted Misano red but after hunting high and low for a B7 3.0 TDI Avant in Misano was just impossible, ended up with brilliant red. One of my neighbours had a Misano A3 sportback and side by side I actually prefer brilliant now, seems deeper and more luxurious is that makes sense.