Volks AutosEM Tuning
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By desertstorm
  • 1 Post By snakehips
  • 1 Post By Scott
  • 1 Post By lee_fr200
  • 1 Post By RobH_S3

Thread: Quattro 1/2 sec faster 0-62mph, or is it?

1st Gear

Status

Quattro 1/2 sec faster 0-62mph, or is it?

I was just comparing the acceleration of an A3 Quattro 184ps and a Golf GTD. Both have the same engine, just 4WD vs. 2WD.

Quattro 6.9 sec vs. GTD 7.5 sec?

So I then compared the Audi 1.8 TFSI Quattro and the Audi 1.8 TFSI FWD.

Quattro 6.8 sec vs. FWD 7.3 sec!

So it would appear that the Quattro is 1/2 sec faster from 0-62mph. Though my theory is that the 30-62 times are going to be the same, as the Quattro's advantage is initial traction. Above 30 that advantage would be less of a factor.

Anyone know where I would find the 50-70mph figures for the 1.8 TFSI Quattro and FWD. Maybe the in gear acceleration numbers for a comparison?
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 22nd December 2013 at 20:35.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    quattro and A3 is I believe lighter!
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Interesting figures, surprised the quattro makes such a difference. I am sure it adds exta weight, so really its even more impressive.

I dont think the 30+ acceleration would be as dramaitc, but then its cornering ability and also condistion in other road condition will also make a difference.

But comparing different manufacturers isnt as good as the same car with and without quattro
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

1st Gear

Status
    I have edited my first post to make it clear that the second set of numbers are both for the Audi A3 1.8 TFSI.

Yes, Quattro adds 100kg.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    I have edited my first post to make it clear that the second set of numbers are both for the Audi A3 1.8 TFSI.

Yes, Quattro adds 100kg.
    Really is impressive then between the same car just with the additiona of quattro
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    quattro and A3 is I believe lighter!
    Golf GTD - kerb weight 1377kg

A3 184ps TDI Quattro - unladen weight 1425kg

6th Gear

Status
    Oh well it's all quattro then !!
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    Really is impressive then between the same car just with the addition of quattro
    Yes, especially as the FWD Audi 1.8 TFSI has a better power to weight ratio.

140ps per ton vs. 130ps per ton for the Quattro?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quattro makes all the difference when launching, especially when you get over 200bhp. You are only talking about tenths of seconds here.
    if you were to take the 0-100 time I bet the 2wd would have made the time up with the reduced transmission losses and less weight.
    And in gear acceleration when moving 50-70 the 2wd will be quicker as it's not traction limited.

Karl.

3rd Gear

Status
    Any of these time differences noticeable to the person driving the car?
    Daz Auto likes this.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Any of these time differences noticeable to the person driving the car?
    lmao... no!

5th Gear

Status
    Coming from a FWD car with 260 ponies, I can't wait for my S3 as I'll have the grip in the dry/wet/cold, unlike FWD where (with 260bhp) you sometimes don't even have it in the dry! That's all I really care about
    lee_fr200 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Coming from a FWD car with 260 ponies, I can't wait for my S3 as I'll have the grip in the dry/wet/cold, unlike FWD where (with 260bhp) you sometimes don't even have it in the dry! That's all I really care about

In my last car I had 300hp fwd and the car only weighed 1000kg so it was very light and that was a nightmare for wheelspin it did 0-60in 4.9 with the wheels spinning like crazy (even had a quaife diff) when you think the S3 has 300hp but has 4wd and an extra 400/450kg than I had and that does 0-60 in the same time it shows how good 4wd is over fwd

but from a rolling start it decimated all, killed a jag s type R, m3 scoobys even beat a nice new Porsche Carrera 4s
    PilotAudi likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm not convinced by the published figures, having had quick 4wd cars and quick front wheel drive cars perhaps for the less experienced the all wheel drive is quicker but at sprints and hill climbs I've been to the two wheel drive cars seem to have the edge using controlled wheel spin to get a better launch off the line. I feel that the increase in power to weight ratio and educed mechanical power losses probably offset the difference.
    Steeve

2nd Gear

Status
    the GTD may have restricted torque in 1st and 2nd to help traction?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    I'm not convinced by the published figures, having had quick 4wd cars and quick front wheel drive cars perhaps for the less experienced the all wheel drive is quicker but at sprints and hill climbs I've been to the two wheel drive cars seem to have the edge using controlled wheel spin to get a better launch off the line. I feel that the increase in power to weight ratio and educed mechanical power losses probably offset the difference.
    So your suggesting that with an experienced driver and controlled wheels spin a fwd car is better for launching? hmmm don't think so.

60ft times for 4wd is around 1.5 secs with road tyres and about 300hp
    60ft times for fwd cars is around 2.1 secs with road tyres and about 300hp

Maybe under 200hp the weight and transmission losses offset the difference to 60mph but the more you increase the power the bigger the difference. 300hp+ would be embarrassing for the fwd car to 60mph.
    PilotAudi likes this.
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    So your suggesting that with an experienced driver and controlled wheels spin a fwd car is better for launching? hmmm don't think so.

60ft times for 4wd is around 1.5 secs with road tyres and about 300hp
    60ft times for fwd cars is around 2.1 secs with road tyres and about 300hp

Maybe under 200hp the weight and transmission losses offset the difference to 60mph but the more you increase the power the bigger the difference. 300hp+ would be embarrassing for the fwd car to 60mph.
    Saab.. Turbo experts reckon more than 150bhp through front wheels wasn't good.. they tried but not very successfully. For my 2p quattro is best... RWD second for powerful cars.

3rd Gear

Status
    The fastest cars in the world, top fuel dragsters are RWD, but they are a special case.
    Weight transfer is what works against a FWD car and regardless of what you do with fancy diffs and the like that will always work against you.
    A quattro car isn't always quicker. The 1.9 TDI quattro B5.5 does 0-60 in 10.4 seconds the FWD does it in 9.9 . The car only has 130bhp so traction isn't an issue.
    As stated above there comes a point where quattro works better than FWD and thats around 200-250bhp, RWD is probably closer to 300bhp. But this is only for the special circumstance of a standing start or acceleration from a very slow speed.
    Once you have hit 40 or 50 the advantage is very much reduced unless conditions are very slippy.
    I love the A4 quattro I have now as I don't really have to think about how much throttle I can give it to control wheel spin it just launches.

Karl.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_boon View Post
    the GTD may have restricted torque in 1st and 2nd to help traction?
    I have been thinking the same thing, as my GTD DSG loves to spin it's wheels in 1st and 2nd gear (but that may be more down to the sh1t Bridgestone Potenza types it's came out of the factory with), as it certainly seems to have a lot more torque available once rolling.

VW do state in their GTD and GTI literature, that both models are fitted with an "anti tramp" function, so I'm only guessing, but maybe that is limited power from a standing start via software ?