JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Results 1 to 36 of 36
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TDI-line
  • 1 Post By snakehips
  • 1 Post By kimhemm

Thread: 1.8 TFSI Q vs 2.0 TDI Q?

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72

    1.8 TFSI Q vs 2.0 TDI Q?

    Hi all,

    I placed my order for a 1.8 quattro petrol a few months ago as I thought diesels were a bit boring and not as 'explosive' as petrol cars. The past week I drove a diesel and was quite impressed by its torque and fuel economy. I checked the prices and the difference between the 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TFSI is roughly 1000 but the diesel has more power, torque and a higher mpg figure. Should I order a 2.0 TDI quattro instead? It's not too late to change my order. Would I also get a higher resale value if I went for diesel?
    P.S I won't commuting in the car it will just be driven on weekends and taken on road trips to Europe in long holidays. Fun factor is the priority really.

    Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

    Ryan

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    TDI-line's Avatar
    Uber Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    8,885
    That's a big YES from me, but i may be a little biased.

    2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    That's a big YES from me, but i may be a little biased.
    Any complaints about the engine at all? And how many miles are you doing to a tank now?

  5. #4
    TDI-line's Avatar
    Uber Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    8,885
    No complaints, probably the best diesel engine i've had, really nippy, and my last car was an A1 185, so virtually same performance and 0-60, but whereas the A1 felt rapid (in a little car), the A3 feels more refined and effortless.

    Fuel economy is averaging about 40mpg on the dis. I get about 450-500 out of tank, i use to get 250 out of the A1 lol.

    No brainer.

    2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    No complaints, probably the best diesel engine i've had, really nippy, and my last car was an A1 185, so virtually same performance and 0-60, but whereas the A1 felt rapid (in a little car), the A3 feels more refined and effortless.

    Fuel economy is averaging about 40mpg on the dis. I get about 450-500 out of tank, i use to get 250 out of the A1 lol.

    No brainer.
    Damn.. if you can only squeeze 450 out of a diesel I wonder how many I will get out of the 1.8 petrol?!
    Other than that it sounds good. Have you test driven the 1.8 petrol and if so how do the 2 compare?
    Thanks

  7. #6
    TDI-line's Avatar
    Uber Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    8,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Damn.. if you can only squeeze 450 out of a diesel I wonder how many I will get out of the 1.8 petrol?!
    Other than that it sounds good. Have you test driven the 1.8 petrol and if so how do the 2 compare?
    Thanks
    Sorry, but i wanted an A3 diesel (again) due to economy, the A1 185 was petrol but a completely different engine to the A3 180 1.8T, being a 1.4 supercharged and turbocharged engine.

    Book a test drive, at least you'll have a feel for both, but as it's more of your fun car, then the petrol may tick those boxes more.
    phantom_s3 likes this.

    2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    Sorry, but i wanted an A3 diesel (again) due to economy, the A1 185 was petrol but a completely different engine to the A3 180 1.8T, being a 1.4 supercharged and turbocharged engine.

    Book a test drive, at least you'll have a feel for both, but as it's more of your fun car, then the petrol may tick those boxes more.
    Now that you mention it, I've actually driven a 3dr 184 when I ordered, just didn't pay any attention as I never expected to buy a diesel lol

  9. #8
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    604
    I held off buying the 1.8 TFSI because a lot of reviews didn't like the combination of that engine with the 7 speed DSG. The TDI with 6 speed seems to be more highly rated. Looking at your intended use I doubt you will do the mileage to claw back the extra cost of purchase and fuel but if that isn't a big concern for you I would definitely reconsider and at least test drive the TDI again.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    I held off buying the 1.8 TFSI because a lot of reviews didn't like the combination of that engine with the 7 speed DSG. The TDI with 6 speed seems to be more highly rated. Looking at your intended use I doubt you will do the mileage to claw back the extra cost of purchase and fuel but if that isn't a big concern for you I would definitely reconsider and at least test drive the TDI again.
    The 1.8 I ordered is quattro so it's a 6 speed dsg too. In terms of miles I will be keeping the car for at least 3 years so I think I should be able to recoup the difference in prices. I'm just waiting for the dealership to reply now and if possible I'll switch to the 2.0 184. Cheers!

  11. #10
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    604
    Sorry, didn't know the 1.8Q uses 6 speed.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  12. #11
    Joetidman's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Hi all,

    I placed my order for a 1.8 quattro petrol a few months ago as I thought diesels were a bit boring and not as 'explosive' as petrol cars. The past week I drove a diesel and was quite impressed by its torque and fuel economy. I checked the prices and the difference between the 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TFSI is roughly 1000 but the diesel has more power, torque and a higher mpg figure. Should I order a 2.0 TDI quattro instead? It's not too late to change my order. Would I also get a higher resale value if I went for diesel?
    P.S I won't commuting in the car it will just be driven on weekends and taken on road trips to Europe in long holidays. Fun factor is the priority really.

    Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

    Ryan
    If fun factor is the main thing, then don't bother with the diesel. Not that the diesels aren't excellent, but you won't really need the extra mpg, and the petrol engine will be quieter when idling, and make a better noise when reaching the higher rev limit when driving 'spiritedly'. Personal view of course (and in no way suggesting the diesels aren't great cars!!)
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

    Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

  13. #12
    snowfree52's Avatar
    Full LED baby !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    466
    couldn't agree more, fun factor ? take the 180.

    then again, why not the S3 ?

    Are you going to remap ?
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

  14. #13
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    couldn't agree more, fun factor ? take the 180.

    then again, why not the S3 ?

    Are you going to remap ?
    so it'll be worth it even with less torque and worse fuel economy? Any idea how many miles the 1.8 will do on a tank?
    The insurance cost is too high for the s3 unfortunately. If there is a remap for 1.8 available then I might consider, but I don't think any are out there now as far as i know

  15. #14
    snowfree52's Avatar
    Full LED baby !

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    466
    best way is for you to try both, can't help on this one.
    I took the 184 because I spend a lot of time on the road. Or it would have been the S3.

    remap : you get the idea : Audi A3 8V - 2012-> ... 1.8 TFSi - BR-Performance - Motor optimisation
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    best way is for you to try both, can't help on this one.
    I took the 184 because I spend a lot of time on the road. Or it would have been the S3.

    remap : you get the idea : Audi A3 8V - 2012-> ... 1.8 TFSi - BR-Performance - Motor optimisation
    The showroom doesn't have the 1.8 for test drive, thanks for your suggestions though. The remap looks pretty good, any idea when it'll be out?

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    so it'll be worth it even with less torque and worse fuel economy? Any idea how many miles the 1.8 will do on a tank?
    The insurance cost is too high for the s3 unfortunately. If there is a remap for 1.8 available then I might consider, but I don't think any are out there now as far as i know
    According to the road test in the Audi Driver magazine in November 2013 the 1.8TFSI gave an overall of 39.1mpg. The fuel tank on the 1.8TFSI is 50 litres so that works out about 490 miles. A 2.0TDI-150 tested by the same magazine in the December issue gave 44.8 mpg so, with the same size fuel tank, that would give 529 miles.

    In the road test on the 2.0TDI they do say that on longer runs without any performance testing 50-55mpg should be quite easy to obtain giving a range of between 589 and 658 miles.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    According to the road test in the Audi Driver magazine in November 2013 the 1.8TFSI gave an overall of 39.1mpg. The fuel tank on the 1.8TFSI is 50 litres so that works out about 490 miles. A 2.0TDI-150 tested by the same magazine in the December issue gave 44.8 mpg so, with the same size fuel tank, that would give 529 miles.

    In the road test on the 2.0TDI they do say that on longer runs without any performance testing 50-55mpg should be quite easy to obtain giving a range of between 589 and 658 miles.
    Hmm, so I'm looking at a 100 mile difference then. It isn't as bad as I thought it is, roughly 10 quid difference per tank

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    And with the 1.8 remapped it will outperform a stock 2.0 184. Wonder if fuel economy is gonna take a hit though?

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    And with the 1.8 remapped it will outperform a stock 2.0 184. Wonder if fuel economy is gonna take a hit though?
    Depends what you meant by 'out perform'. If you mean it will go faster then Yes it will. But what will a remapped 184 do......
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  21. #20
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Depends what you meant by 'out perform'. If you mean it will go faster then Yes it will. But what will a remapped 184 do......
    Yes I meant stock 184. I've seen the figures for remapped 184, I think the biggest concern now is which one will be more 'fun' and the consensus seems to be petrol.
    I also did some maths and the 184 will be 20 pounds cheaper than the 1.8 per tank if you factor in the price of gas and extra mileage (assuming 184 will go 100 more miles compared to 1.8)
    Once I go over 30,000 miles the cost for both engines will be equal, and I can probably do that in 3 years.
    So final decision is: more power and torque for 184 vs more 'fun' in 1.8

  22. #21
    TDI-line's Avatar
    Uber Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    8,885
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    According to the road test in the Audi Driver magazine in November 2013 the 1.8TFSI gave an overall of 39.1mpg. The fuel tank on the 1.8TFSI is 50 litres so that works out about 490 miles. A 2.0TDI-150 tested by the same magazine in the December issue gave 44.8 mpg so, with the same size fuel tank, that would give 529 miles.

    In the road test on the 2.0TDI they do say that on longer runs without any performance testing 50-55mpg should be quite easy to obtain giving a range of between 589 and 658 miles.
    Also the quattro versions have the added weight from the 4 wheel drive, so all A3 quattro's (including S3) have a 55 litre tank to try and balance out the illusion of getting more miles per tank.

    My TDIQ gets around 40 mpg combined, no where near the fore casted 57.6 combined. lol.

    I can see 1.8Q being alot lower than mine.....

    2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Edit: Too late to change, it's confirmed by factory. Guess I'll chip it when I can! Thanks everyone

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Edit: Too late to change, it's confirmed by factory. Guess I'll chip it when I can! Thanks everyone
    As long as you're happy with your choice that's all that really matters. I had four A3 1.8T (8L) before I changed to the 2.0TDIs. When I wanted to change my last 1.8T Audi could only offer a 2.0 petrol, with no turbo and it was totally gutless. So I tried a 2.0TDI and it was much more like the 1.8T. Now I'm on my fourth 2.0TDI and I like the rather lazy way it produces it's power at low revs and the miles it can do between fill-ups when I travel to Germany, where unlike in the UK, diesel is so much cheaper than petrol. Now of course Audi offer turbo petrol as well as turbo diesels.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  25. #24
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Edit: Too late to change, it's confirmed by factory. Guess I'll chip it when I can! Thanks everyone
    After my order was locked in I spent the whole time second guessing my spec but trust your initial decision - I'm sure the TFSI will be great for you, especially if you want a bit of fun added to the mix.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  26. #25
    TDI-line's Avatar
    Uber Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    8,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Edit: Too late to change, it's confirmed by factory. Guess I'll chip it when I can! Thanks everyone
    Cancel.

    2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

  27. #26
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    Cancel.
    Secretly I agree with you and I was just trying to be supportive. But please keep this between just the two of us...
    TDI-line likes this.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  28. #27
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Edit: Too late to change, it's confirmed by factory. Guess I'll chip it when I can! Thanks everyone
    Don't worry.

    The 1.8 TFSI is a great engine and will give you a lot of fun. Get a new down pipe and remap it and you should be looking at 225-230 HP and a good torque curve

    And a remap will be about the same fuel economy
    moggs likes this.

  29. #28
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    Cancel.
    lol, I might have seriously considered that if not for another 4 months wait!

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by kimhemm View Post
    Don't worry.

    The 1.8 TFSI is a great engine and will give you a lot of fun. Get a new down pipe and remap it and you should be looking at 225-230 HP and a good torque curve

    And a remap will be about the same fuel economy
    Does anyone do a remap for this engine. I have seen one listed on any of the normal remapers websites yet.

    See this post: audi a3 1.8tfsi 2012 cant be remapped via ecu with a bluefin
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  31. #30
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Does anyone do a remap for this engine. I have seen one listed on any of the normal remapers websites yet.

    See this post: audi a3 1.8tfsi 2012 cant be remapped via ecu with a bluefin
    According to the last post on the thread there are no maps available yet

  32. #31
    Joetidman's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    According to the last post on the thread there are no maps available yet
    Audi A3 Tuning - 1,8 T 132 kW (180hp) Front

    Not a big increase though
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

    Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

  33. #32
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    Chips for FWD would work for quattro as well right?

  34. #33
    Joetidman's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Chips for FWD would work for quattro as well right?
    Yep, voila Audi A3 Tuning - 1,8 T 132 kW (180hp) Quattro

    I think they'll keep at it and get more than 195 soon too. Prob a first attempt
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

    Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

  35. #34
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    Think that would be a piggy back and not a remap

  36. #35
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    Chips for FWD would work for quattro as well right?
    Yes no problem with that at all

  37. #36
    Joetidman's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by kimhemm View Post
    Think that would be a piggy back and not a remap
    Yeah it's not clear in the techs. Big increase in torque though from 173 to 221 ft/lb! Pushes 0-60 down to 6.8
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

    Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO