Good & Bad Fuel Economy 1.6TDI

Flugel Hound

Reaction score
Ive had the car a week now, MPG is a mix of good and bad.
My first run which was a good 200mile returned 67mpg if I remember correctly.
Thereafter it went down hill, mainly due to shorter runs lasting not much longer than the engine getting fully up to temperature, around 46mpg.

Now my old Passat 1.6tdi used to get 56mpg on these shorter runs.

I realize the engine has not beaded in yet, but the mpg is not looking too good.

One thing I have discovered the latter part of this 1st week is the 'Efficiency Programme' and the ability to display in list form all the Auxilliary equipments that are putting a strain on the engine thus effecting the mpg.

Heated Mirrors (I had left it switched on thinking the heated rear window activated it, wrong. Its on all the time sucking Gas )
AirCon (System setting had this come on as default, not any more)
Demist (Only on when selected, but its surprisingly hungry)

After learning the above, im now driving with the green bar out of sight and no auxiliaries listed. Driving super economically but only slightly improved mpg!

Anyone got any top tips particular to the car settings to improve mpg further.

Fluges

i will need to try that out as I run an inverter in mine.I would say my mpg is good high50's low 60's last time i looked using only shell diesel now as no bio fuels allowed in the tank.

You should use your AC for a bit every few weeks if you mostly keep it off or the seals will dry out and it'll degrade in performance.

Just drove back from London today (2.0 TDI - 123 miles, 3.9 miles in London start-stop traffic, 111 miles on the M1, 7.3 miles in Nottingham town driving) with my ACC at 85... sorry, I meant 70mph exactly :D and returned pretty much bang on 50mpg for the whole way. At the variable speed limit section on the M1 (which was 60mph) I flicked it onto the mpg display and it was averaging in the high 60s, but I don't want to be driving at that speed the whole time purely for the sake of efficiency. Worth trying different speeds to see what you get though.

I am torn between the 1.6 and 2.0 tdis so will look at this carefully to see what's best!

I've read a few posts here and there saying that the 2.0 Tdi can give better economy than the 1.6 in certain conditions and performance-wise there's no competition if you want a bit of poke for a drive on the weekend so it'd be the 2.0 Tdi for me all day long :)

Looking to lease one so will see what they offer!

I wonder if your passat gave the same mpg when the ambient temperature was cold. I would have thought that anything over 40mpg was acceptable for a modern 1.6 engine..

We have an 18 month old Golf BluePooh match in the family. . 5 speed only but today over 40 miles mixed motorway a roads did 49.6 mpg not bad!!

Just as a comparison, I am getting 46 mpg average so far over first 700 miles on my 1.4 TFSI C.O.D. And can get up to 50+ if drive fairly carefully or on longer journeys, drops to under 40mpg if I really put my foot down. Drive select doesn't seam make more than a couple of mpg difference at most, is far more down to how you drive. The 1.6 diesel quotes the best mpg on 'official rolling road test' so I think it would be reasonable to expect mid to high 50's ish mpg from the 1.6 diesel unless lots of short journeys and mid 50's from 2.0 ltr. Diesel.

Heated Mirrors (I had left it switched on thinking the heated rear window activated it, wrong. Its on all the time sucking Gas )

Can't believe heated mirrors are using more than the equivalent of a fraction of 1MPG of fuel.

Other options:

Could replace the space saver spare wheel with a tyre inflation kit
Loose three stone in weight
Drive in your pants (but don't turn on the air con)

.....sorry could not resist, it is nearly silly season

Btw getting close on 50mpg which has dropped to about 48mpg in the colder weather after about 3600 miles in a 2.0TDI nearly always in dynamic mode and driven pretty hard, as it's fun.......

Heated mirrors turn themselves off after 10 mins regardless of where the switch is

The old passat did return less during very cold spells but never below 46, my long term average was around 50mpg.
It was capable of 70mpg on a run from Tyneside to Scarborough taking it very easy.

Today a 3deg celsius 8 mile run into work I returned 52mpg where other warmer mornings was 46mpg! This morning I set the drive select to Automatic, where previously it has been set to economy. Could drive select setting be my trouble?

Could be - I have seen it in several models (not just Audi) where economy actually makes things worse because you are constantly flooring it to get an acceptable level of power.

Colder air is denser which possibly does something to the mixture as well, getting a bit better power out the engine on cold days so you don't have to push it as hard.

Can't believe heated mirrors are using more than the equivalent of a fraction of 1MPG of fuel.

Other options:

Could replace the space saver spare wheel with a tyre inflation kit
Loose three stone in weight
Drive in your pants (but don't turn on the air con)

.....sorry could not resist, it is nearly silly season

Btw getting close on 50mpg which has dropped to about 48mpg in the colder weather after about 3600 miles in a 2.0TDI nearly always in dynamic mode and driven pretty hard, as it's fun.......

In one sense I couldnt give a toss about mpg, its a company car with fuel card.
on the other hand, I like to know whats what, how every thing works and performance is as expected.
I only have 400mile on the clock, maybee I just need to run in a few more miles.

Reactions: tubster
I'm currently returning 28mpg from my BMW 325 straight six, if that makes you feel any better about your mpgs! Roll on March for my sportback 184 manual...

Had a good 60 mile round trip today, outside temperature 6deg c.
72MPH 90% of the time, returned 63.1mpg
570Mile on the clock.
Drive Select on Auto

I previously had a 2.0 TDI A3 (8p) which over the three year and 60000 miles I owned it returned an average of 56mpg. Most of that was up and down the M6 keeping to 70-75. I changed to a 1.6 Tdi A3 (8v) and have so far run up 13000 miles at an average of 58mpg for the same journey mix. Generally disappointed as I've dropped 50% in power for not much gain in mpg.
However, on shorter runs the 1.6 has done better. I have a regular run to the local shopping centre which is a couple of miles on free flowing suburban roads at 30-40 then about 4 miles on dual carriageway at typically 55-65. In the 2.0 it struggled to show 60mpg on the computer but the 1.6 shows 70mpg without really trying. So I guess it comes down to your driving mix.

I previously had a 2.0 TDI A3 (8p) which over the three year and 60000 miles I owned it returned an average of 56mpg. Most of that was up and down the M6 keeping to 70-75. I changed to a 1.6 Tdi A3 (8v) and have so far run up 13000 miles at an average of 58mpg for the same journey mix. Generally disappointed as I've dropped 50% in power for not much gain in mpg.
However, on shorter runs the 1.6 has done better. I have a regular run to the local shopping centre which is a couple of miles on free flowing suburban roads at 30-40 then about 4 miles on dual carriageway at typically 55-65. In the 2.0 it struggled to show 60mpg on the computer but the 1.6 shows 70mpg without really trying. So I guess it comes down to your driving mix.

That is a good comparison. Factor in the extra cost of the 2.0l, emissions tax and in some cases income tax.
Do you miss the extra pull of the 2.0l
Did you really use the extra pull? im finding the 1.6l pokier than my previous passat so a plus for me.

Did you notice a running in period with the 1.6l where the mpg improved then levelled off?, if so at what mileage?

Questioning over

Fluges

Can somebody tell me approx how many miles you get to a full tank? 1.6tdi or 2.0tdi but please state which one you have. I presume its 50 litre tank? Cheers

2.0TDI gets me about 450 miles normally, 520+ when mostly motorway driving, but I do drive quite quickly and I know it's a lot more efficient at lower speeds!

2.0TDI gets me about 450 miles normally, 520+ when mostly motorway driving, but I do drive quite quickly and I know it's a lot more efficient at lower speeds!

Pretty much the same for my 2.0TDI and drive mine pretty hard and leave it in dynamic unless stuck in traffic.

490ish miles until DIS says 5-10 miles to empty and usually fills up with 46-47 litres so time you add in the safety margin in the DIS display the miles to completely empty would come in around 530-535miles, so a long term average around 48-49mpg after 4000 miles.

Driven sensibly I think I could get somewhere around 53-55mpg, but prefer to enjoy her as much as possible.

Reactions: cemerson
This is interesting as my wife is getting a 1.6 TDI A3.

My 170ps GTD was doing around 600 miles per 55L. About 50mpg?

Normally I put in supermarket diesel. Recently I have been putting in Maxol. Got 630 recently.

Not much over 430 for me in a 1.6tdi but its only done a bit under 4k miles and may need to loosen up a bit, as I've mentioned elsewhere i'm sure the tank is a bit smaller than the 8P I drove for a bit, i'm convinced the last bar when it turns red actually has a good bit left and the computer just lies to you just to make sure you don't accidentally run out though, wouldn't like to try but you probably have a good 80 miles left on red and haven't gone down to flashing yet.

Doesn't actually matter to me as it's a comp car and just pay per mile, I have a card that only lets me fill up at Morrisons and Tesco though im afraid so cant comment on mainstream fuel or super (and I always have believed there is a difference in my own personally owned cars)

Got the 1.6tdi and have about 9K on the clock. My work run is about 35 miles, 95% motorway and sat doing a steady 70mph it almost certainly always gives about 57ish mpg. I have had days when it gives about 65.

60mph on the M1 in the variable speed limit section on cruise control the other day was giving me mid to high 60s in mpg, so it's certainly possible to get pretty good figures if you're willing to stick at 60 and annoy the hell out of everyone else!

I know when my car says 0 miles left I can do another 30. But the car will then take 55L of fuel. So if you have a 50L tank and it is only taking 45L to fill then you should have over a gallon left.

My my car has done over 60k so well run in. The computer says I'm averaging around 55mpg. I think that would be around 660 per tank. Like I said I usually only get around 600 per tank.

Also when the speedometer says 60mph the satnav says about 56mph.

90 mile trip yesterday in my 20TDI mainly motorway,car fully laden travelling between 65-70mph returned 60.3 mpg. Car was in dynamic mode and has now covered 4.5k. Very happy with that, I usually travel a bit quicker than that but was in no rush so just took our time.

Mark

Driven very gingerly the potential economy on the 1.6Tdi seems better than 2.0TDi... Driving rapidly the 2.0 seems to catch up.. on our 1.6Tdi Golf BluePooh Match we can get 60mpg+ driven sensibly.. Put your foot down and it drops to circa 40mpg!

Miles per tank is a red herring unless Brim to Brim exactly.

90 mile trip yesterday in my 20TDI mainly motorway,car fully laden travelling between 65-70mph returned 60.3 mpg. Car was in dynamic mode and has now covered 4.5k. Very happy with that, I usually travel a bit quicker than that but was in no rush so just took our time.

Mark

2.0TDI - Friday had a 150 mile trip, Surrey to Canterbury, then back home to Hertfordshire mainly M25 and M2 with car full of luggage on the return as was picking up my daughter from uni. Cruise control on 76-77 for as much as possible, plus a bit of traffic at places like dartford crossing and still averaged 52mpg

This included chasing a Peugeot 308cc for a couple of miles and whooping its backside on the M2 after he deliberately tailgates for 2 miles at 77mph, I let him go and get about 200 yards in front and then kicked down and passed in next to no time very very rapidly, and waved as I passed.......happy days!

Reactions: markwiggy
That is a good comparison. Factor in the extra cost of the 2.0l, emissions tax and in some cases income tax.
Do you miss the extra pull of the 2.0l
Did you really use the extra pull? im finding the 1.6l pokier than my previous passat so a plus for me.

Did you notice a running in period with the 1.6l where the mpg improved then levelled off?, if so at what mileage?

Questioning over

Fluges

For most of the time I find the performance of the 1.6 more than adequate though, there have been a few times when I held back from overtaking when I would have done it in the 2,0 or occasions when I've had to do a downshift and thought I wouldn't have had to do that in the 2,0. I do occasionally miss the momentary "thrill" of the push in the back from the more powerful 2,0 but in the real world there wasn't a lot of opportunity to use it. If audi could increase the power and torque by about 10% then the 1.6 would be ideal.
The mpg improved from low 50s to high 50s over the first 5-6k miles but not much after that. I've found leaving the engine in auto rather than efficiency seems to give better results.
The 1.6 was the right choice for me at the time, when I come to change the car my heart may say 2.0 but my head will say 1.6 as, for me, it represents the best overall package.

A £300 remap would transform the engine....

The problem with the current engines is that to do a remap on the EDC17C64 engine management unit it needs to be taken out of the car and remapped on 'the bench'. So far, apart from MTM in Germany I have not yet seen anyone prepared to do this. MTM list it in the Products but at €1,199. Not sure how this would effect the warranty.

The problem with the current engines is that to do a remap on the EDC17C64 engine management unit it needs to be taken out of the car and remapped on 'the bench'. So far, apart from MTM in Germany I have not yet seen anyone prepared to do this. MTM list it in the Products but at €1,199. Not sure how this would effect the warranty.

Wow, that is a ridiculous amount of money for a remap, even if the ecu has to be removed. For that kind of map I'd expect not to pay more than £400....

If it's really that good why don't Audi do it?

Presumably to make sure the engines keep within certain C02 levels and allow for the minor differences between one engine and another.

I assume if you were to remap an engine and it went outside it's Type Approval figures it would in theory be illegal. There was some talk a little while ago make checking for remaps part of the MOT but not quite sure how they would do that. Perhaps just measure the C02 output and fail it if it was above the original Type Approval limit.

Certainly remapping is no longer as easy as it used to be when tuners could use the OBD port. Here is an article which explains some of the problems:

Tuning Protection / Anti-Tune explained..

Last edited: