Volks AutosChris Nott
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jo_bxl
  • 1 Post By cuke2u
  • 1 Post By TDI-line
  • 1 Post By shady-ninja
  • 1 Post By Itguy
  • 1 Post By Joetidman

Thread: Saloon in Glacier White or in Black?

Reverse Gear

Status

Saloon in Glacier White or in Black?

Hey guys, I will order new A3 Saloon in 2 weeks time. I know already the full configuration - apart from the colour. I cannot decide whether to go for Glacier White or Pearl Black. When I first saw the car, I was amazed by Glacier White (now I own a black A3 sportback so new white car would be a real change). But then I started to look everywhere around me (I live in Belgium) and all I see are white cars which are all dirty. I have a feeling white colour shows very nice all the lines of the car but at the very same time I have a feeling it is impossible to keep it clean.Pearl Black fits the car as well (saloon looks more like a diplomat car in black) - in fact you can see the chrome frame around the side windows much better - the only drawback is that it would not be such a big change as I have a black audi right now. Would you be able to help me with my decision?Which colour suits the car better? Is the Glacier White so difficult to keep it clean?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jo_bxl; 16th December 2013 at 11:17.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Banned

Status
    Black looks great . White more common on police vehicles. My 2 Euros is go Black Phantom is best as easier to keep looking good than Brilliant black

Reverse Gear

Status
    one more pic of Glacier White
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trickz likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Make whatever decision is right for you and not one made for you. Can't be that difficult...
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Neutral

Status
    IMHO the white looks much better...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_bxl View Post
    one more pic of Glacier White
    Personally I think the white in these 19's looks really nice, I was tempted by white myself. If you've tried black I reckon white we'll help the new car feel, plus I think it'll wear maybe a little better? My wife's last car was black and it looked great clean but never stayed that way long
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Daytona everytime.
    cuke2u likes this.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

6th Gear

Status
    +1 to that....
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    Think white shows the lines better but you need to like washing cars.
    Up to you.........Id look at a grey

4th Gear

Status
    white and some dirty dark or black wheels will set it off.
    black cars amplifies swirls while white cars hide them.
    its your choice.
    RobbieWebs likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    White with the 19"s Deffo. Looks amazing
    Black looks amazing as well when clean but doesn't take long to get dirty with dust.
    Speaking from experience the undercoat of the bonnet will probably be white on all colours, hence why I will never buy a black car again due to stone chips ...
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    From past experience brilliant black (on a 3 series bmw) nightmare to keep clean,even after jUst washing it,they gather dust quickly
    Metallic black(on a A4) a bit easier as the metallic flakes help with the dust thing,but does show any marks ,stone chips etc
    Dolphin grey (on a A4) better still at hiding dirt,stone chips etc just as visible.
    Considering Glacier,it does appear to be the best and most dramatic colour to show the car,hoping its better still with the dust thing ,but will show dirt....just have to wash it (no water marks though!)

5th Gear

Status
    Cool, sophisticated metallic black is the way forward.

Women don't wear a "little white dress" do they (well, Essex maybe) and you get the added bonus of doing without the inevitable "recession white" comments from people too if you chose Glacier.

Plus, metallic black never goes out of fashion. Yes it's hard work to keep clean but using a two bucket wash method it doesn't take long and you can minimise swirls. When you do get them, just buy a proper polisher for c.£150 and use it once every 6-12 months to keep it looking showroom shine.
    PilotAudi likes this.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

Neutral

Status
    Whilst it feels strange, a black car will ALWAYS look dirtier quicker than a white car it's a fact. Black looks great when washed then quickly looks dirty.
    Also, black will easier show up any small dent in the bodywork due to its high shine.

5th Gear

Status
    Don't disagree with any of that. Black is hard work and costly to keep fixing the inevitable door dings etc.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2nd Gear

Status
    Had a white car and a black car. Would never have either again. Black cars are harder to get and to keep clean. Black needs a chamois after a wash to remove water marks. Even if it is dry a black car will be covered in dust in a few days.

White is slightly better. Water marks and dust are less noticeable. However, dirt will soon stick to the rear and lower parts of the car. So you get a 2 tone white/brown effect. Also tar will require cleaning off periodically.

In my experience silver is the easiest to keep clean. Though again tar will require removal.

Dakota is my favourite colour of A3. However, I'm not sure about the safety of driving a car that is the same colour as most roads - even with DLRs.

Isn't red the safest colour of car to drive?
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 20th January 2014 at 12:25.

3rd Gear

Status
    Black is my favorite. It just looks badass at night. Nothing brings out the bling of matt silver trim like black! White gives the best contrast and allows for more wheel color choices. As for the upkeep, I like my car clean and washing is therapeutic so be it white, black, blue means nothing to me. Minimal washing is in the upkeep. I use low dust brake pads, two buckets, foam lance, filtered water, plenty of wax or sealant depending on the time of year and a leaf blower to dry. It takes 20 minutes tops. Black cars are preferred by OCD types. Work is our salvation!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
    Black is my favorite. It just looks badass at night. Nothing brings out the bling of matt silver trim like black! White gives the best contrast and allows for more wheel color choices. As for the upkeep, I like my car clean and washing is therapeutic so be it white, black, blue means nothing to me. Minimal washing is in the upkeep. I use low dust brake pads, two buckets, foam lance, filtered water, plenty of wax or sealant depending on the time of year and a leaf blower to dry. It takes 20 minutes tops. Black cars are preferred by OCD types. Work is our salvation!
    On average I spend 3 hours a day driving. At this time of year - I would need to wash a black car every day. Infact it would be dirty by the time I would arrive at work. So effectively, I would never get to drive the car and then see it clean.

For the summer I usually wash, dry, remove tar, wash, dry, colour restore, wash, dry, polish, apply 2 coats of sealant. Prefer sealant to wax for a silver car. My black car used to look great with a coat of wax.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm starting to err towards black...

S3_LIMOUSINE.JPG
    SlightlyYapper likes this.
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

6th Gear

Status
    Personally I do not like black as all the hard work of cleaning the car is very quickly ruined by taking it out on a wet road. My preference is Daytona Grey: