Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Johnnyb
  • 2 Post By Battlekrapz
  • 1 Post By Johnnyb

Thread: S3 service book and start/stop

3rd Gear

Status

S3 service book and start/stop

For those of us lucky enough to already have our S3's I have a couple of queries.
    I didn't get a service book to stamp in? Dealer said it's all done digitally now, anyone else not got a book?
    My start/stop hasn't worked once since I had the car, now should I be worried something is wrong or not? I turned everything that uses power off (mmi, climate etc) and it still wouldn't work! I've an s tronic by the way. Any ideas people?!
    Cheers
    G

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Don't know about the start/stop aside from contacting your dealership. The servicing record is all digital these days Digital service schedule < Owners area
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Banned

Status
    The Stop start worked fine in the S Tronic I had yesterday!

1st Gear

Status
    Start stop was on by default when I got mine. Might be worth checking the menus under Car to see if there is an option to permanently turn it off.
    Audi 8V S3 s-tronic
    Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloy wheels | LED headlights
    Super sports seats | mono.pur
    | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior LEDs
    Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reversing Camera
    ACC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headlight assist | Privacy glass | TPMS
    LTE data by EE | Paint protection by Gtechniq | more to come...

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pat15312 View Post
    Start stop was on by default when I got mine. Might be worth checking the menus under Car to see if there is an option to permanently turn it off.
    If anyone can confirm if this is possible that would be a great help, it's a total pain in the ass trying to remember to manually turn it off everytime i get in the car!
    Glacier White S3 SB S-Tronic, Super Sport Seats, Pano Roof, Black Roof Rails, LED's, Interior Light Pack, B&O, Sat Nav SD Card, Advanced Key, Acoustic Rear Parking, Rain Sensor, ABT DR 19" Alloys

6th Gear

Status
    Lets not hijack 'G's' post with questions about whether the start/stop can permanently be disabled when it probably can't be..
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Lets not hijack 'G's' post with questions about whether the start/stop can permanently be disabled when it probably can't be..
    Your post would hold more weight had it ended in "when it definitely can't be" It in fact may well be the reason G's start / stop is not working if it has somehow been turned off through the MMI..Just sayin'
    PilotAudi and RedDejavu like this.
    Glacier White S3 SB S-Tronic, Super Sport Seats, Pano Roof, Black Roof Rails, LED's, Interior Light Pack, B&O, Sat Nav SD Card, Advanced Key, Acoustic Rear Parking, Rain Sensor, ABT DR 19" Alloys

6th Gear

Status
    The best thing to do is to search the 8v forum first before asking. I am sure this question has been covered before. If it hasn't then start a new thread as then it will get more attention instead of being buried within someone else's...

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    The best thing to do is to search the 8v forum first before asking. I am sure this question has been covered before. If it hasn't then start a new thread as then it will get more attention instead of being buried within someone else's...
    Searched a few days ago and couldn't find an answer on it..I know you have got OCD about these things, but i felt it could have helped / related to geefunk's query..

4th Gear

Status
    There is still a service book, it doesnt have spaces for stamps as that is done digitally, but you should have the standard Audi book.

It's called " Audi Service Schedule" "For vehicles with Digital Service Schedule"
    number is 141.563.8S2.20

As far as stop start, make sure it's enabled first then it will only work when all the parameters are met. My A3 was intially reluctant, but as the miles have accrued it works more often. Your handbook lists all the criteria.
    I
    Steeve

2nd Gear

Status
    You lucky sod if your start/stop is malfunctioning! I wish mine was!
    Johnnyb and DrTS like this.

4th Gear

Status
    You can switch it off.
    Steeve

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    You can switch it off.
    Permanently? There is a switch below the air vents that switches it off once the car starts, but then it resets everytime you turn the ignition off, so have to keep turning it off everytime the ignition is turned on..If there is a way to disable it through the MMI or something then that would be great and would possibly be why geefunk has yet to see it working in his car..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    Permanently? There is a switch below the air vents that switches it off once the car starts, but then it resets everytime you turn the ignition off, so have to keep turning it off everytime the ignition is turned on..If there is a way to disable it through the MMI or something then that would be great and would possibly be why geefunk has yet to see it working in his car..
    I don't think anyone has yet come up with a way to permanently switch off the Start/Stop system even using VCDS. The dealers will not do it, even if the can, because they say it would mean the car would no longer match it's EU Type Approval and the car would then be illegal to drive on UK roads.

The Golf VII DSG that I drove for the day yesterday needed quite a bit more pressure on the brake pedal to get the engine to cut out that on my current s-tronic A3. I was easy to stop at a junction and hold the car on the brake without the engine cutting out.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    It cannot be permanently disabled by the driver and as previously stated the dealer's won't even if they could. If it were permanently disabled the cars CO2 rating would be invalid and therefore it's tax rating.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I don't think anyone has yet come up with a way to permanently switch off the Start/Stop system even using VCDS. The dealers will not do it, even if the can, because they say it would mean the car would no longer match it's EU Type Approval and the car would then be illegal to drive on UK roads.The Golf VII DSG that I drove for the day yesterday needed quite a bit more pressure on the brake pedal to get the engine to cut out that on my current s-tronic A3. I was easy to stop at a junction and hold the car on the brake without the engine cutting out.
    Thanks for the clarification! geefunk - i'd give the dealer a call, although i'd be happy with it off just like Battlekrapz! I'm off to invent a rigid device that attaches to one's left shoulder so that when you get in the car it presses the disable button for you...
    GRE57Y likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hmm I've got that service book so that's definitely right if it's all digital nowadays.
    As for start/stop it's activated but always comes up with an A with a slash thro it on the display when I stop. Might have to ring the dealer to see what they say, it'd be nice to know it works tho! Might save me some fuel as it's averaging 22mpg at the mo on my daily commute, but then again it is only 2.5miles to work lol

5th Gear

Status
    Not an S3 but I know that my car has to be warm and all sorts before the stop start will work. In addition things like having the steering turned near the stops seems to stop it turning off too...
    Daytona Grey A4 3.0 TDi Quattro S-Tronic Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    I'll be doing all I can to find a way of turning this crap off with VCDS when ours comes so if/when we find out I'll put a tutorial up!

3rd Gear

Status
    500 miles in and my start/stop has been working well (if that's how you consider it) since day one.

1st Gear

Status
    I find the start/stop works perfectly and I like it. With my s3 stronic I find that I'm the one controlling it not the other way around. Ie come to a stop with a light peddle press and car is still running. Push it harder and the engine stops. So it stops when I want. I don't have hill hold and from what ive read that changed things.

If your journey to work is only 2.5 miles I would not expect it to work. Have you tried a longer journey and then to be sure turn all heaters ect off?

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah it's had a few long journey's too and I tried turning everything off and still didn't work. Very odd as no one else seems to have any problems!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by geefunk1978 View Post
    Yeah it's had a few long journey's too and I tried turning everything off and still didn't work. Very odd as no one else seems to have any problems!
    See if you can reset your ECU this may restart the stop / start function

3rd Gear

Status
    That will have to be a main dealer job won't it?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by geefunk1978 View Post
    That will have to be a main dealer job won't it?
    No not really some one in the Audi community should know how to reset the Ecu

Neutral

Status
    The start/stop doesn't work properly until the engine is up to a certain temperature and the temperature inside that car is at what you have set it. So if you crank up the temp in the car it will stop working until it reaches that temp inside. Hope that makes sense.

6th Gear

Status
    Start/stop systems use various sensors to dictate how the system performs. Internal/external temp, CC settings/ engine temp and the battery voltage. Start/stop systems also tend to have a different battery and alternators to cars that do not have the same system. I've had mine start the engine up automatically when the cabin temp started to rise, however it has stopped working completely now as I only perform short journey's and the battery voltage isn't high enough. This is on my Focus of course so I am interested to see how the system works when I get my new Audi...

2nd Gear

Status
    Start/stop won't work until the car is warm and that has been posted earlier. It would explain the lack of start/stop on your commute.

Separately, lots of short journeys in a row will hit the battery and one of the (several) other criteria for Start/Stop is a charged battery. Perhaps the battery is still charging on the longer journeys?

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

3rd Gear

Status
    It hasn't worked since I picked the car up and that journey home was 90 miles and I had to stop at traffic lights/roundabouts so doesn't make any sense. I think there must be a fault on it. Will ring dealers and find out...