ACC Segments around speedo

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Why is it you sometime get 2 lit up segments around the speedo when using ACC? I understand the higher one is the target speed buts what's the lower one for (that's not always there).

hmm...could that be the speed of the car front of you? (if it's slower than you are driving or speed you want the acc to have)

Don't think its that. It seems to be linked to pressing the set button.

Ok...could it just be that when you set the speed its just between those segments? :) I'm just guessing here...

I think it might when you set a speed that is not exactly on a segment. So it lights both of them next to each other.

I know I can't wait to have ACC, my drive to Birmingham this morning was very tedious stop-go M6 traffic, a right PITA. Roll on March

Yep, it only happens when you first press set and the speed falls in between 2 of the values. Pressing the stalk up or down will choose one speed or the other.

Reactions: Silky-S3
I think the standard cruise control allows you to pick speeds in 1mph increments, so would also show 2 segments when scrolling up or down, but ACC just changes the speed by 1 segment at a time instead (not really necessary to be so precise with it), so 2.5mph / 5mph depending on which part of the speedo you are on!

Although the standard cruise control allows you to choose 1mph increments it doesn't have any leds or segments on the dials. It just displays your chosen speed in the DIS.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't know that!

I'm sure I've seen the ACC LEDs set up so they do a 'sweep' alongside the needles before, wonder if you get this automatically with needle sweep, or if it's a different setting?

I'm not sure I can see any LEDs around the speedo, so I wonder whether you get different clocks if you spec ACC over normal cruise?

The LED are very visible. Also looks great when stageing at switch on! I bet they are different clocks.

Which reminds me of a question which passed my mind a few days ago: Is the speedo on a car without ACC also non-linear? On an ACC speedo, the LED segments below 40 MPH occur at 2.5 MPH intervals, so the spacing between 30-40 on the dial is about twice that between 40-50. Is that true on the standard speedo too?

I would guess so - it's a property of the speedo rather than of the cruise control.

I can't remember where the increments step-change but the speedo on my standard cruise control car (non ACC) is not linear either.

...and confirming a previous post; no speedo LEDs just cruise control set speed displayed digitally in the DIS.

John.