Information in the DIS

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hopefully a thread appliable to both A3s and S3s....

Looking on the Audi Configurator there are the following statements about the DIS on the A3

For monochrome version:
Driver’s Information System (DIS) – 3.5” monochrome display in the dashboard binnacle. The DIS shows the radio frequency/station or track title, telephone control menu and other display information from the infotainment system.

For the colour screen version:

• The driver information system provides the driver with a lot of useful information on a large display in the instrument cluster
  • The integrated on-board computer with efficiency programme supports the driver with overviews of consumption data, a larger gearshift indicator and fuel-saving tips for particularly economical driving.

Does this mean that you only get the integrated on-board computer with the Colour Screen option or do you get the same with both the Mono and Colour versions.

I don't know, but why would anyone go for a monochrome screen on a Audi?

I have just had another look at the Pricing and Specification Guide and it seems to answer my question. It says:

Driver’s Information System (DIS) –3.5” monochrome display in the dashboard binnacle.
The DIS shows the radio frequency/station or track title, telephone control menu and other
display information from the infotainment system such as navigation (if fitted). Includes an
on-board trip computer with short and long-term trip memory, outside temperature display, digital
speedometer and door or boot-open warning. Also includes a rest recommendation system
which monitors steering movements and pedal usage and warns the driver when a rest might
be required.

If the Mono and Colour screen offer the same facilities what are the advantages of the Colour screen.

I don't know, but why would anyone go for a monochrome screen on a Audi?

Just curious really! Why do they offer the colour as an option apart from to make an extra few pounds

Because it looks a lot better, and is easier to read

SE has monochrome DIS, Sport,S Line and S3 have Hi Res Colour DIS. All show same info.

Audi ought to give colour on all models not just the pricier ones.

Because it looks a lot better, and is easier to read

If I decide to buy an SE like my existing A3 it is something to make sure I add to the options list. Thanks

Reactions: Silky-S3
And because certain options, such as ACC, require it. A monochrome ACC status tab would be virtually unreadable.

Reactions: cemerson
Yeh, I'm sure there are other options which require the colour one as well, but can't remember what they are