New buyer in need of some advice :)

Anarch

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been going through this forum for quite a while - but still need help in deciding a few issues :)

I'm thinking about buying manual A3 Sportback 1.4 COD with hold assist and SD GPS. The car will be used mainly for commuting / family car.

I can't decide between Sport and S line - I prefer the look of standard seats & alloys in the S line, and steering wheels seems to be much more comfortable, plus Xenon headlights are a nice bonus. On the other hand it is £2000 more...

1. Which suspension should I go for-> Sport or SE ? I want a decent handling car, but I don't want passengers to be uncomfortable.
2. How will the larger, 18' wheels impact the comfort and steering ?
3. Does anyone have experience with Daytona Grey / Monsoon Grey and how easily they show dirt ?
4. Is it worth getting the Comfort package (do you actually use the cruise control and parking sensor often) ?
5. Do you know any good dealers in and around South West (customer service & good retail discount)
6. Any advice on negotiating a deal with the dealer (ie what can I also ask for except lower price) ?

I apologize if some questions are a bit mundane:)

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
1. Which suspension should I go for-> Sport or SE ? I want a decent handling car, but I don't want passengers to be uncomfortable.

Mine has S-line suspension and I find that to be perfectly OK. Horses for courses really. However I am comparing it to my previous cars, a 123d M Sport with runflats (a real bone shaker) and a A1 1.6 TDI with sport suspension. Surprising I find the s-line to be more comfortable than the sports suspension setup on the A1.

2. How will the larger, 18' wheels impact the comfort and steering ? Not an issue for me.

3. Does anyone have experience with Daytona Grey / Monsoon Grey and how easily they show dirt ? pass

4. Is it worth getting the Comfort package (do you actually use the cruise control and parking sensor often) ? I have the comfort pack and I find the auto lights / parking sensors / auto dim mirror to be useful. Would always spec these. I don't really use cruise.

5. Do you know any good dealers in and around South West (customer service & good retail discount) pass

6. Any advice on negotiating a deal with the dealer (ie what can I also ask for except lower price) ? Typically 8% off a broker

Hi Tom

S-line all the way if you can stretch to mate

Suspension - Sline - firm but not uncomfortable
18" Wheels - Again nice ride
Daytona Grey - The best Grey out there by far
Comfort Pack - Defo worth the money I use everything you get with it all the time also get auto lights and rain sensor
Dealers - No idea i'm in Scotland
Negotiation - Go in armed with quotes from brokers and haggle!!!

Hope this helps an any way

I'd probably agree with previous replies.

1. I have S-line suspension and love it, test drove a sport and comfort wise not much difference. S-line feels nicer to drive
2. Wheels - not much to say really, standard 18' wheels are great.
3. I almost went for one of the greys but thought they looked a bit off in showroom light.
4. Comfort pack is great, had it on my Leon Cupra, just let the car do everything. I park everyday so use sensors all the time, i have the park plus with front sensors and graphics.
5. From Scotland, no idea.
6. Plenty threads about getting a discount, take your time and dont rush into a decision. Drive the Deal and Orange Wheels seem to be mentioned a lot.

Si.

Mine has S-line suspension and I find that to be perfectly OK. Horses for courses really. However I am comparing it to my previous cars, a 123d M Sport with runflats (a real bone shaker) and a A1 1.6 TDI with sport suspension. Surprising I find the s-line to be more comfortable than the sports suspension setup on the A1.

2. How will the larger, 18' wheels impact the comfort and steering ? Not an issue for me.

3. Does anyone have experience with Daytona Grey / Monsoon Grey and how easily they show dirt ? pass

4. Is it worth getting the Comfort package (do you actually use the cruise control and parking sensor often) ? I have the comfort pack and I find the auto lights / parking sensors / auto dim mirror to be useful. Would always spec these. I don't really use cruise.

5. Do you know any good dealers in and around South West (customer service & good retail discount) pass

6. Any advice on negotiating a deal with the dealer (ie what can I also ask for except lower price) ? Typically 8% off a broker

PM sent!

Comfort pack will probably add a bit of resale value to the car too. I have mine with ACC (brilliant imo) and park assist (personal choice, I use mine occasionally but only really specced it because it wasn't much more than the parking plus and is useful at times)

Thanks for all the help - I'm definitely less worried now about 18". Will will definitely test drive both versions to check out the suspension.

@Pilotaudi - did you send the PM to me or sftdi (Haven't received any)

I would echo the comments about ACC. If you do any motorway driving at all, for the price it really is a must have IMHO. Most think of it as a comfort or convenience feature but personally I consider it to be as much of a safety feature (especially in fog or poor vis conditions). It will also make your car more desirable come resale time.

Thanks for all the help - I'm definitely less worried now about 18". Will will definitely test drive both versions to check out the suspension.

@Pilotaudi - did you send the PM to me or sftdi (Haven't received any)

Sport suspension has been great for me.......18" have been fine for me as well, only point to note as they are v low profile is more chance to curb/scuff them which i have done already :-(

Daytona Grey - is quality, does not show the dirt ad when waxed and in th right light looks almost like liquid metal

I would echo the comments about ACC. If you do any motorway driving at all, for the price it really is a must have IMHO. Most think of it as a comfort or convenience feature but personally I consider it to be as much of a safety feature (especially in fog or poor vis conditions). It will also make your car more desirable come resale time.

I'm curious how does the ACC behave on a highway, when someone comes onto your lane just in front of you (ie how quickly will it react and whether it won't brake too suddenly) ? I can definitely see your point of it being a safety feature, I personally hate driving on a large highway in heavier traffic.

It is only £350 if purchased with the Comfort pack.

Last edited:
It reacts when they get in front of you basically, and does brake quickly (but smoothly). I love it. Obviously you are responsible for monitoring it still, so if someone cuts in front of me very close I'd still be on the brakes myself!

I like the idea that even if I am not aware that there is a car in front, the car is. I'm not suggesting that it makes it ok to drive like an idiot in the fog but I can see it making the diff between life and death in certain unforseeable conditions (M5 crash?)

Reactions: yetirider
I like the idea that even if I am not aware that there is a car in front, the car is. I'm not suggesting that it makes it ok to drive like an idiot in the fog but I can see it making the diff between life and death in certain unforseeable conditions (M5 crash?)

Surely that will mean you will just get hit in the back and pushed into the car in front anyway by the car that does not have ACC.

Surely that will mean you will just get hit in the back and pushed into the car in front anyway by the car that does not have ACC.

Well there is no getting out of that one. I've also seen this on Audi's website:

"Adaptive cruise control does not react to stationary objects or approaching vehicles." If the cars in front of you have already crashed - it seems that ACC won't react.

If I would add ACC I would consider it to be more of a comfort option. Is it easy to get used to driving without actually controlling the speed, and how effective is it with a manual gearbox ?

Last edited:
Sure, it's not without it's limitations. Perhaps I need to curb my enthusiasm! I do think that as a feature it will become more common in the future, VW have already made it standard equipment on most new golfs. As it does so there is the potential for massive benefits in terms of traffic flow and fuel efficiency. The safety benefits are more debatable, they can easily be offset by increased driver complacency and a lack of understanding of the systems limitations (as my assumptions above have clearly shown).

As to how easy it is to get used to, well I guess that depends on the individual. I haven't seen any negative reports on this forum though.

Some light reading if you're interested:

http://people.bath.ac.uk/see29/sian1/_notes/adaptive cc.pdf

If there is someone behind you, yes. How is it any worse than not knowing and crashing yourself? At least you won't be the one that causes it, and have a chance to make the damage less or not at all.

Also it does react to stationary cars that it has previously seen moving. It's the ones that are stationary all along that it won't see (eg, an existing queue of traffic). Even then, ACC comes with pre-sense front which has emergency brake functionality even for stationary objects. Noone's saying it's a magic bullet or that it solves ALL the possible issues, but I certainly believe it can add to safety.

Re suspension you ask about passengers. I took my wife on the test drive of S-line trim with Sport suspension (with 18" wheels) and she commented that it was on the edge of being too hard. I agreed and went for SE suspension. But at least that combo is the most common one you'll find at dealers to try yourself.

Re suspension you ask about passengers. I took my wife on the test drive of S-line trim with Sport suspension (with 18" wheels) and she commented that it was on the edge of being too hard. I agreed and went for SE suspension. But at least that combo is the most common one you'll find at dealers to try yourself.

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards SE suspension, but will decide after testdriving A3 with Sport & SE suspension.

Does anyone have ACC with a manual gearbox ?

I did the same and took my wife as the passenger in a S-Line with 18" wheels and drove the car for about 3 hours on some of the roads we use quite often. The main roads were not too bad but as soon as we went onto some of the country lanes she hated it.

I also been looking at some of the road tests by magazines on You Tube and they all seem to say how good the SE suspension is. Very comfortable but still with very good handling. It's the setup they recommend.

I've not yet been able to try a car with normal Sport rather than S-Line suspension. Audi seem to offer the three alternatives but the S-Line Sport suspension is only available on the S-Line. Both the SE and Sport can have the SE or normal Sport suspension.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input - I think I've made my mind up about most options (just need to test drive different types of suspension - will do it on Sunday).

I have another question regarding finance,

When do you actually negotiate and sign the agreement ?
I might be able to have quite a bit more cash to pay upfront before collecting the car, but I cannot be certain now. Is it possible to amend the deal before picking up the car (and whether dealer would make this easy). I know about CCD and cancelling within the 14 days cooling period.

Thanks for the input - I think I've made my mind up about most options (just need to test drive different types of suspension - will do it on Sunday).

I hope you can find a dealer with cars with the different suspension set-ups. My experience so far is that most dealers have S-Line cars and that's about it. No Sport or SE available to try.

Thanks for the input - I think I've made my mind up about most options (just need to test drive different types of suspension - will do it on Sunday).I have another question regarding finance,When do you actually negotiate and sign the agreement ? I might be able to have quite a bit more cash to pay upfront before collecting the car, but I cannot be certain now. Is it possible to amend the deal before picking up the car (and whether dealer would make this easy). I know about CCD and cancelling within the 14 days cooling period.
Finance is normally completed a week or so before collection, so you can finalise what deposit you are putting in then. Roughly speaking, on a 3 year PCP, each £1000 extra deposit will knock around £30 off the monthly payments (assuming GFV is the same)

I hope you can find a dealer with cars with the different suspension set-ups. My experience so far is that most dealers have S-Line cars and that's about it. No Sport or SE available to try.
From my experience a lot of the s line test cars are sports suspension not full s line set up, as sports is the default option on an s line spec, you have to opt in for full S line so worth checking with the dealer first what you are testing.I have sline with sports set up and find it surprisingly comfy, even my elderly in laws said they found it comfy and they hate a harsh ride, but still handle great the pick for my, but as everyone says is personal.N.B. C.O.D. Engine is Brilliant ! surprisingly quick and responsive, very very quite, smooth and refined, have. Got 44 ish mpg so far which am happy with after only 2 weeks and 600 miles and is still great fun. Xenons too are Amazing if you have never had before as i hadn't, worth every penny as s line inc. or as an option but then your 1/2 way to s line money anyway Good luck ! Oh and S line is just cool, but that's just me !

Finance is normally completed a week or so before collection, so you can finalise what deposit you are putting in then. Roughly speaking, on a 3 year PCP, each £1000 extra deposit will knock around £30 off the monthly payments (assuming GFV is the same)

Thanks ! That's very good news for me :) So I should base negotiations what I think will be my position (and later increase the deposit) ?

Fragup - I know I'll get to test drive A3 with both SE and Sports suspension (not sure if both of them are S-line), unfortunately they only have diesels available for test drive - but my mind is already fixed on 1.4 COD so I don't really mind. I'm still trying to decide whether Comfort pack and ACC on manual is worth it...

Last edited:
Thanks ! That's very good news for me :) So I should base negotiations what I think will be my position (and later increase the deposit) ?

Fragup - I know I'll get to test drive A3 with both SE and Sports suspension (not sure if both of them are S-line), unfortunately they only have diesels available for test drive - but my mind is already fixed on 1.4 COD so I don't really mind. I'm still trying to decide whether Comfort pack and ACC on manual is worth it...

If the dealer is not sure what suspension the car is fitted with it may be worth looking at the codes on the sticker in the front of the service book or the sticker in the luggage compartment under the floor cover. The following are the codes for the different suspensions versions:
2UA or UA0 - basic SE suspension
2UC or UA1 - Sports suspension
2UG or UA3 - S-Line suspension

If the dealer is not sure what suspension the car is fitted with it may be worth looking at the codes on the sticker in the front of the service book or the sticker in the luggage compartment under the floor cover. The following are the codes for the different suspensions versions:
2UA or UA0 - basic SE suspension
2UC or UA1 - Sports suspension
2UG or UA3 - S-Line suspension

I'll save it on mobile - may come in handy - Thanks !

Thanks ! That's very good news for me :) So I should base negotiations what I think will be my position (and later increase the deposit) ? Fragup - I know I'll get to test drive A3 with both SE and Sports suspension (not sure if both of them are S-line), unfortunately they only have diesels available for test drive - but my mind is already fixed on 1.4 COD so I don't really mind. I'm still trying to decide whether Comfort pack and ACC on manual is worth it...
I only a very slight difference, butI test drove the 2.0 ltr. Diesel in 3 door and 5 door, both 18" wheels. And now have C.O.D. 5 door sportback on 18" wheels all where on sports suspension so have a good direct comparison of eachThe 5 door is slightly more forgiving over bumps (less of bump is transmitted through to the cabin) than the 3 door, due to very slight longer wheel base? and the C.O.D. Is slightly more forgiving again than the 2.0ltr. diesel as it is quite a bit heavier at the front with the diesel.When you combine the two the difference from a 3 door diesel to a 5 door C.O.D. Even though on the same 18" wheels and same sports suspension is noticeable. The test drives I did where on the same roads I drive on every weekend so beard in mind that these factors will have a bit of a bearing on suspension feel when you do your test drives, probably not enough to sway you on your final choice of set up unless you are very borderline as to which final set up you want to go for.

I only a very slight difference, butI test drove the 2.0 ltr. Diesel in 3 door and 5 door, both 18" wheels. And now have C.O.D. 5 door sportback on 18" wheels all where on sports suspension so have a good direct comparison of eachThe 5 door is slightly more forgiving over bumps (less of bump is transmitted through to the cabin) than the 3 door, due to very slight longer wheel base? and the C.O.D. Is slightly more forgiving again than the 2.0ltr. diesel as it is quite a bit heavier at the front with the diesel.When you combine the two the difference from a 3 door diesel to a 5 door C.O.D. Even though on the same 18" wheels and same sports suspension is noticeable. The test drives I did where on the same roads I drive on every weekend so beard in mind that these factors will have a bit of a bearing on suspension feel when you do your test drives, probably not enough to sway you on your final choice of set up unless you are very borderline as to which final set up you want to go for.

That's actually a very useful bit of advice, I will bear it in mind - but hopefully they will have a Sportback with Sport suspension available to test drive. Unless the Sport suspension is extremely uncomfortable I'll probably go with it.

I'm quite excited about the test drive - from premium class cars I've only driven Mercedes E & S few years back in Germany (hated the S class).

How did your test go Anarch... give us all an update..