A3 or Q3

The golf is a nice car, getting very pricy but still a good quality hatch. The octavia is a better family car due to its size. We have ended up ordering the Tdi vRS over the GTD golf. Preferred the look and size suited out needs better

As for VW, you may have been luck or I was unlucky but asked questions of 5 dealers and 1 rang back! Car dealers....pft lol

I certainly don't need a 'family car' as I only have a wife and no family.

As for VW all the dealers I have phoned have phoned me back, which is more than I can say about some of the Audi dealers but in this case it was VW's own Customer Services department than any dealers.

I certainly don't need a 'family car' as I only have a wife and no family.

As for VW all the dealers I have phoned have phoned me back, which is more than I can say about some of the Audi dealers but in this case it was VW's own Customer Services department than any dealers.

What at is the current lead time on a golf? When I bought my A3 I looked a GTD but that model kept getting put back. A3 interior feels a step up from the Golf.

What at is the current lead time on a golf? When I bought my A3 I looked a GTD but that model kept getting put back. A3 interior feels a step up from the Golf.

No idea on the lead time for the Golf but a dealer I was with the other day did say the the GTD were hard to get, but if I go for a Golf it will be an SE 2.0TDI DSG and I don't mine waiting. I've had eight A3s so I'm quite used to have to make a decision early!!
Personally I don't think the A3 interior is any better quality than the Golf and I think the ergonomics of the Golf are better than the A3 which is why I am looking at other than an A3 after owning eight consecutively of the last 15 years, but each to his own.

Sorry h5djr there is no way on earth a Golf interior is on a par with an Audi . I'm talking mark 6 and 7 golf versus 8P or 8v. Less user friendly less tactile.. Sorry I think you are totally wrong and we have both in family.

Sorry h5djr there is no way on earth a Golf interior is on a par with an Audi . I'm talking mark 6 and 7 golf versus 8P or 8v. Less user friendly less tactile.. Sorry I think you are totally wrong and we have both in family.

You are entitled to your opinion, but having driven my current 8p and several new 8v's and also several Golf 7s over the last few weeks I prefer the interior layout of the Golf 7 and personally I'm more than happy with the quality. The suspension and ride on both the 8v and the Golf are identical but then they should be as most of the components are the same on both cars and both are much better than my current 8p. To me the only thing that's better about the Audi is the 'brand' and this forum.

My requirements for a car are quite probably different to yours but the Golf ticks more of my boxes than the A3. At lot of them are quite small things but things that I know would annoy me every time I drove the car. I thought the same when I first say the two cars together in the Wolfsburg AutoStadt and much as would like to like the A3 I still prefer the Golf.

You are entitled to your opinion, but having driven my current 8p and several new 8v's and also several Golf 7s over the last few weeks I prefer the interior layout of the Golf 7 and personally I'm more than happy with the quality. The suspension and ride on both the 8v and the Golf are identical but then they should be as most of the components are the same on both cars and both are much better than my current 8p. To me the only thing that's better about the Audi is the 'brand' and this forum.

My requirements for a car are quite probably different to yours but the Golf ticks more of my boxes than the A3. At lot of them are quite small things but things that I know would annoy me every time I drove the car. I thought the same when I first say the two cars together in the Wolfsburg AutoStadt and much as would like to like the A3 I still prefer the Golf.

i am not knocking your choice and good luck with what ever you choose, but can only says you will be missing out as new A3 is brilliant to own, only 9 days in and is worth the wait, it sounds like its is not a factor for you, but I have have Loads of people saying they love the looks I the flesh, it really does make you smile when you walk up to it, which i don't think you'll quite get with the golf as in my opinion has got far to 'safe' I owned a mark 3 golf and was one of the better looking hatchbacks at the time, now is just a little bit dull. It is not just a showy 'brand' thing as it is a pleasure to be in and drive as well, it is so well thought out and built, I'm sure the golf work the same, just won't look as good doing it.

Do you think that the MMI position on the Golf is more ergonomical than on the A3? And what about being touchscreen on the Golf??

Reactions: PilotAudi
Do you think that the MMI position on the Golf is more ergonomical than on the A3? And what about being touchscreen on the Golf??

Absolutely my point. Also position of Nav screen is poor in Golf 6 and 7 and 8P.

Absolutely my point. Also position of Nav screen is poor in Golf 6 and 7 and 8P.

From my point of view the position of the Nav screen is not an issue as I would not being adding the Nav option to either car. My problem is that I so want to like to A3 but I am having great difficulty at the moment. One day I will wake up thinking I have decided on the Golf and then the next day I'm not so sure I want to ditch my beloved Audi. Further brainwashing required!!

In some ways the location of the MMI or touch screen is not that important as I don't often listen to music or the radio when I'm driving. I only tend to put it on if I get stuck in traffic or some other holdup. I am getting a bit tired of the circular (TT style) air vents. Most other Audis do look better with them integrated more into the facia. Perhaps what I need is to be locked in to an A3 for a day and only be allowed out when I say I now like it.

Golf is not a bad car. We've had 10 over the years . Audi just has the edge in most areas . Thought your signature says you have loads of options on your 8p yet you don't want Nav ??

Well, I can think of several things I prefer on the A3. I can only think of a one minor detail I prefer on the Golf.
But, if everyone thinks like me, we'd only see A3 on the road and that would be boring.

Ah, you know that the air vents on the 8V being circular is not only a question of design, right?

I like the A3 air vents, even saw one of the reviews rave about them! Look like turbines almost, or jet engines. You can even adjust the airflow from wide to narrow flow by pulling the central bit in and out.

Golf is not a bad car. We've had 10 over the years . Audi just has the edge in most areas . Thought your signature says you have loads of options on your 8p yet you don't want Nav ??

I do have 'loads of options' but not Sat/Nav. My current A3 is a SE with the following options:
Metallic paint
17" x 7.5J alloys with 225/45 tyres
Dual-zone climate control
Electric operation of the driver's seat
Rear parking sensors
Cruise control
Light and rain sensors
Symphony radio - 6CDs
Luggage pack
Through-load system
Adaptive xenon headlights
Electric folding door mirrors
Tyre pressure loss indicator
The total cost of the options before discount was £4,625

The reason I did not want the factory Sat/Nav was because I could not load the PGPSW camera database and these days I don't often need help to navigate to where I going. I have a TomTom unit mounted at the right-hand end of the screen which gives me all I need and is very easy to remove and update using my pc.

I've also had four Golfs over the years. Two were Mk1 GTIs starting in 1980 and the last one was a Golf VR6 in 1994-1996. Since then I have had twelve Audi's the last eight being A3s.

I have to say I did look at the Q3 before ordering my A3 and one of the deciding factors was the interior, the A3 just felt so much more premium.

Personally I like the air vents, functional and controllable, I always have them on the diffuse setting rather than jet. Not to mention how beautifully they are engineered in both look and feel.

As for the screen, I like to position being nice and high up, not disturbing my field of view but high enough to not take my eyes off the road.

I also never get bored of jumping in the car pushing the start button and watching the drama of the screen rising out of the dash synchronised with the mirrors unfolding etc.

But this is entirely personal preference, life would be boring if we all liked the same things ;)

I have to say I did look at the Q3 before ordering my A3 and one of the deciding factors was the interior, the A3 just felt so much more premium.

Personally I like the air vents, functional and controllable, I always have them on the diffuse setting rather than jet. Not to mention how beautifully they are engineered in both look and feel.

As for the screen, I like to position being nice and high up, not disturbing my field of view but high enough to not take my eyes off the road.

I also never get bored of jumping in the car pushing the start button and watching the drama of the screen rising out of the dash synchronised with the mirrors unfolding etc.

But this is entirely personal preference, life would be boring if we all liked the same things ;)

Also love the vents but think Audi have gone as far as they can with part thinning, any more and they will start to feel cheap.

....and don't forget the xenons auto levelling at night along with the wing mirrors extending and the screen rising out of the dash.....quality!!!!!!

Reactions: 97catalunya and PilotAudi
....and don't forget the xenons auto levelling at night along with the wing mirrors extending and the screen rising out of the dash.....quality!!!!!!

Of course :) all I need to do is activate needle sweep as well and I will be content ;)

The TT Roadster loan car Audi gave me had it, but that was the only theatre I had when I started the car #boring lol