Software Update - Xenon Headlights

Belfin

Reaction score
Took my S-line Sportback into Audi as part of a 'Winter Health Check' promotion today. One of the jobs done was a software upgrade for the xenon headlights. Thought I'd mention it for all the S-line and xenon headlight option folk out there. They said it's not urgent (i.e. a recall), but they'll do the upgrade to cars as they visit the dealerships.

cheers, Paul.

Last edited:
Paul,

is this a software update for standard s-line xenons or the adaptive xenons upgrade or does it change something on both?

Hi Dave,

My xenons are standard S-line ones and I was upgraded. The Audi chap said it was to prevent some reports they'd had of the lights 'flickering' and to extend the beam of the dynamic range control further out.

I just edited my original post to remove the word 'adaptive' - I'd used it to describe the headlight ability and had forgotten it's actually a name for a specific option. Sorry!

Cheers, Paul.

Reactions: Daveotto
I had to have the near side xenon headlight replaced last week as the main beam would not come on occasionally.

Apparently, there is an internal mechanism which moves a flap to allow the main beam to work.

My car is only eight months old but has done over 20,000 miles.

There was no mention of a software upgrade. I will call Audi on Monday to check whether it was done when the headlight was replaced.

Interesting that it extends the dynamic range. I suppose that means it'll detect cars that are further away? That's one of the problems I have with the current system really.

I'll have to ask my dealer about it.