New car protection

sanghera

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to ask if any of you have any experience in detailing. I ask becuase I am going to pick up my new A3 in a couple of weeks, and am getting ready to seal the paint. Have any of you used a paint sealant product on your audi followed by waxing/polishing it with autoglyms super resin polish. I ask as I wonder if there is any added protection in doing so.

Many thanks,

Sanghera

Hello all,

I wanted to ask if any of you have any experience in detailing. I ask becuase I am going to pick up my new A3 in a couple of weeks, and am getting ready to seal the paint. Have any of you used a paint sealant product on your audi followed by waxing/polishing it with autoglyms super resin polish. I ask as I wonder if there is any added protection in doing so.

Many thanks,

Sanghera

You would want to polish/seal/wax in that order.
If you polish on to your sealant, the likelihood is you'll remove some (or all) of it as polish is an abrasive.
If you want to top up your protection and waxy shine use a detailing spray after washing.

i'd be tempted NOT to polish a brand bew car. I'd ensure the car was washed with extreme caution, inspect the paint the seal in using a Werkstat product dependant on colour [metallic / flat / crystal]

if unsure, employ a professional if really that bothered - modern paints and laquers really dont need sealing or waxing but the products do offer good water beading.

it's a bit like hifi and digital cabling................a lot of ***** spouted about it, although it's popssible to get a fanytastic shine from the qapplied product [not the paint]....

i'd be tempted NOT to polish a brand bew car. I'd ensure the car was washed with extreme caution, inspect the paint the seal in using a Werkstat product dependant on colour [metallic / flat / crystal]

if unsure, employ a professional if really that bothered - modern paints and laquers really dont need sealing or waxing but the products do offer good water beading.

it's a bit like hifi and digital cabling................a lot of ***** spouted about it, although it's popssible to get a fanytastic shine from the qapplied product [not the paint]....

I agree that modern paints don't need to be sealed or waxed. Only polish will improve paint, but I'd only recommend that if there is swirling, scratches etc.
However a waxed car will look better (if applied well) than an unwaxed one.
A sealed and waxed car will also be a far easier prospect to clean and keep looking clean than an unwaxed one.

Personally like to have an easy process to cleaning my cars, so have them professionally protected for that purpose.

Mine was glazed, then sealed (twice) and waxed.
Cleaning will be weekly with just a foam and spray (because of the sealant the dirt and salt isn't sitting on the paint and will be easy to remove so a weekly blast will clean most of the filth); then a fortnightly foam and rinse, two bucket wash, wheel wash, dry, seal wheels and use detailing spray on the body so that the process is as easy the next time.

If you take pride in keeping the car looking as good as it can then detailing/protection is very much worthwhile.

Last edited:
I would not polish a new car, mine is now just over 3 months old and has only had a couple of coats of wax, one maguiars and one Autoglym. It possibly did not need the second waxing which was done about 3 weeks ago but with winter approaching I thought I would do it while the weather allowed as a lot harder work waxing in the freezing cold.

I plan to give it paintwork clean, polish and wax at the end of the winter.

I'm fanatical about car presentation, but a good sealant / wax will offer shine and durability to modern lacquers. My concern is you affect the lacquer from the factory as soon as you apply a glaze or a polish. The factory paint offer a dep lacquer that only needs a sealant if the car is new and the lacquer is in in swirled condition.
as soon as you cut the lacquer, you affect the factory finish. Crazy !