Missing Radar detector thingy?

scrofts007

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New post here but done a search here and on google and can't find anything relevent.

I had an A3 sportback SE delivered on the 2nd Sept 2013 with the "Comfort pack" that should have included parking system plus.

I pointed out on delivery that the button wasn't there, dealer said their mistake and would I like £375 worth of Audi merchandise to make up for it - I said no, but I'd take some 18" wheels (In leiu of the 17" that I'd ordered). They said they couldn't do that, so I called their bluff and said I'll have a new car then - fully expecting them to whine and bleat and we'd come to some arrangement.
To be fair, they said "No problem" and it's been delivered today.

First thing I noticed was that on the front of the original car was a clear lens in the centre of the front grill, but this was absent in the replacement. I'd thought it was to do with the adaptive cruise control and high beam assist, I've tested the cruise control and it seems ok, but haven't had chance to test the high beam assist yet.

Anyone know what the lens was for, and whether I am missing anything from the new vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

The lense on the front is the camera for the adpative cruise control. If you don't have the lense then you have either standard or no cruise control

Thanks for initial response.
I thought so too, so I've just driven down the bypass, set the cruise to 70mph, and sure enough the green cars came up on the dash, and slowed me down - I didn't crash into the lorry in front!
Is it possible they've just developed a cover for it so it now sits behind a flush plastic cover?

It's possible, can you post a photo of your grille?

I know the lane assist / variable range headlight control / speed limit reading camera by the wing mirror enhances the ACC functionality... perhaps it can all be done through that now? Though I would doubt that...

001Pic attached. It doesn't look like a cover - I'm convinced it's not there, but if the stuff on the car works, what can I say???

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,918
Is that not a protection cover left on from transport/PDI?

Reactions: cemerson
Could be! It does look to be set well back compared to the lens on the former car though - that seemed to protrude beyond the ribs along the centre line of the grill....

It's not a temporary cover - just tried to pull it forward and broke the top clip (it was very fragile!!) - it's not showing any signs of pulling off :(
Any ideas how I can prove the lens needed??
Ta.
Stu.

If it's very fragile then i'd suggest it's not supposed to be permanent. I agree with the other comments, it looks like a temporary cover / blanking plate from the factory.....

It really does look temporary to me - the radar 'eye' in mine is fairly set back so think it would fit with that picture. I'd take it back to your dealers tbh, looks like it was missed from the PDI. If they had made a plastic cover for it designed to be left on you would have thought they'd make it a bit more stylish!

If it were temporary :-
  • It should have come off when I removed the top clip?
  • It seems to sit further back in the grill than the original lens - and any revealed lens would be further back still.
  • Surely the car would think that I was extremely close to something if it were relying on the lens for proximity?
Thanks for replies so far, but main problem is I need to prove one way or another whether it's needed for the car's features to function properly - if I don't, then it's not an issue, but if I do need it, how can I demonstrate a "fault" and report to the dealer/lease company/my fleet services dept etc etc (much gets lost in translation at the best of times!)
Stu.

Last edited:
Have a look at the front of a Mk7 Golf. ACC is standard on new cars (except for the SE models). The A3/S3's without ACC don't have anything in the centre of the grill do they?

Just looked on the VW website and can't immediately see any sign of a lens in the Golf Mk7 grille. It does comment that the lens is part of the brake assist :-
"Front Assist, the radar system also detects situations where the distance to the car in front is critical and helps to reduce your car's stopping distance when needed"
So do I need to test the Audi emergency braking system to see if I have a fault (which might end in disaster if it doesn't work.....)
It would seem difficult indeed to try and explain to the dealer (and my bosses) that I drove at 50mph into a wall to see if the brakes would automatically come on - but they didn't - so Ha - the car did have a fault before it was written off you see :) :D
Has anyone else with comfort pack NOT got a lens thingy?
Sorry to be such a pain!
Stu.

Just looked again on the VW site and found that :-
[h=2]How it works[/h]The system's radar sensor has a range of up to 200 metres and a beam angle of 12 degrees. The radar sensor and control unit are combined into a single unit which is located - on the Passat, for example - behind the Volkswagen badge in the radiator grille.
Using the signals from the radar sensor, the control unit computes the distance to the vehicle ahead and your car's speed relative to it. It also works out its lateral position on multi-lane roads. If there are several vehicles within the sensor's field of coverage at the same time, this information is used to select which of the vehicles the system should track. The radar sensor is not capable of detecting stationary obstructions, such as the end of a tailback or crash barriers, however.
If approaching a slower vehicle ahead or if another vehicle cuts in front of you, the automatic distance control slows down the car by initiating corrective controls in the engine management and, if necessary, in the braking system too. If the required rate of deceleration exceeds 30% of the vehicle's maximum stopping power, visual and audible warning signals will prompt the driver to apply the brakes manually.

I've looked again, and it doesn't look like it's been relocated further up the grille - but I can't understand why the cruise control seems to be working ok :{
Stu.

I have the same radar cover on my A3 SB (MY14). Have ACC on the vehicle but not the full driver assistance pack (so no lane-assist, although I do have side-assist).

I did think that the radar under the nose did look different to the ones on brochure photos of the A3, but didn't really think anything of it. I'm sure I've seen a Mk7 Golf GTI with the same flat-style radar cover too. Didn't have a chance to compare to any other A3s at the dealer either as none had it optioned. I regularly use the ACC and it works fine.

Picture attached from my vehicle at collection - radar cover just about visible.

20131016 165701

Have a look at this Golf, looks v similar to me. Probably just a new style sensor.

Volkswagen GOLF GTI MK7 HATCHBACK 5-DR 2.0 TSI GTI (220 PS) DSG 5dr

before settling on the S3 I test drove a few Golfs, the later ones that came with ACC as standard all had a sensor just like yours. IIRC the golf's ACC had a bigger choice of distance settings as well. I'm hoping that this means that the A3's ACC system has been upgraded slightly.

Last edited:
I have to say, I'm glad mine has the globe then! That looks a bit unfinished!

Maybe the camera has been replaced by a radar for cars with ACC? Would probably be cheaper to manufacture, and the camera can then be reserved for some of the more advanced options?

I'm just thinking out loud now! From what I remember Volvo have similar black plastic covers over their radars...

Hi, I picked up mine last week - ACC but none of the extra bits like side assist - and I have exactly the same plastic plate as you (had to go out and check - hadn't even noticed before), and the ACC is all working very well.

The globe is not a camara, it's a radar on all ACC cars.

If it were temporary :-
  • It should have come off when I removed the top clip?

May just be some more fiddling required
  • It seems to sit further back in the grill than the original lens - and any revealed lens would be further back still.

The radar in mine (it's not a lens, just a cover really) sits fairly far back, would seem to be consistent with your picture in any case.

• Surely the car would think that I was extremely close to something if it were relying on the lens for proximity?

It's radar, it'll only work on metal objects, sees right through plastic.

Thanks for replies so far, but main problem is I need to prove one way or another whether it's needed for the car's features to function properly - if I don't, then it's not an issue, but if I do need it, how can I demonstrate a "fault" and report to the dealer/lease company/my fleet services dept etc etc (much gets lost in translation at the best of times!)

Stu.

I find it very difficult to believe that they'd have changed something like this half way through a model year, especially with it looking so unfinished. You don't need to demonstrate a fault, just take it back to the dealers and question it because it looks different to your last one and different to everyone elses!

Maybe the camera has been replaced by a radar for cars with ACC? Would probably be cheaper to manufacture, and the camera can then be reserved for some of the more advanced options?

I'm just thinking out loud now! From what I remember Volvo have similar black plastic covers over their radars...

It was never a camera in the first place, it's always been radar. The camera is used to enhance functionality if it's there (by the rear view mirror)

The photo's that Blurk posted here :-
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/attachments/f244/22587d1383058070-post-pics-your-a3-8v-here-3-voor.jpg

(page 20)

has the clear "lens" type?

If it just forms part of the emergency brake assist, how could it be tested?
Also mine was in the dealer for longer as they have to retro fit the sat-nav (I ordered mine in Jan with free sat-nav, but that offer was no longer on, and I said I wasn't paying the extra tax on the P11D value!! )
Anyone else taken delivery in last week or so, or anyone at a dealer that have ones ready for delivery?
I really need to be telling the dealer today if there is a problem, but don't really want egg on my face if it turns out it's just a different version.
Gut feel tells me it's not right, but I do need some evidence :(
Thanks again for help so far.
Stu.

Not in the UK Leeber

Just had a quick look at the VW website and I was right, sort of. SE models and above do come with ACC as standard, VW call it automatic distance control though. I almost ordered a Golf on the strength of this. Have a look for yourself!

I genuinely think it's as it should be and that VAG just use two different styles of radar sensor. Perhaps one is the older style and the other newer or perhaps one is VW standard and the other Audi but they are interchangeable. I agree that the square style looks strange on the A3 but maybe that's just because I'm used to how the other one looks. Never thought it looked out of place on the Golf.

Last edited:
Considering that the radar can be placed behind the bumper, it seems odd that VW and Audi chose to position it so low and exposed, (more likely to get damaged by road debris / stones potentially).

The technically- similar 'Distronic-Plus' system on Mercedes-Benz vehicles seems to have radars well hidden in the front bumper / grill out of sight.

Either way, the radar's not prticularly noticable in it's current place on the A3. It's the functionality that matters more.

Suspect the flat-style cover is what will feature on the Golf / A3 going forward - (noted the below from the current VW Golf brochure).

Golf GTI   Brochure

Just had a quick look at the VW website and I was right, sort of. SE models and above do come with ACC as standard, VW call it automatic distance control though. I almost ordered a Golf on the strength of this. Have a look for yourself!

I genuinely think it's as it should be and that VAG just use two different styles of radar sensor. Perhaps one is the older style and the other newer or perhaps one is VW standard and the other Audi but they are interchangeable. I agree that the square style looks strange on the A3 but maybe that's just because I'm used to how the other one looks. Never thought it looked out of place on the Golf.

Right sort of?? Are you a politician? Agree there should be more standard kit on Audi . Seems VW are leaders or is it just that Audi view their customers as suckers with fat wallets!

Or maybe the square one is for the A3 and the round one is for the S3. Can anyone disprove this?

If it's a new style then that's OK - but would like it confirming by dealer/Audi if at all possible (maybe the Golf on the pic didn't have the same options?)
Suppose there's two sides to the discussion - the flat plastic plate maybe looks neater, but the "lens" did provoke some discussion and I got to boast about the Audi's features :)
I'll email the dealer and see what they have to say (just wanted my facts so I didn't get fobbed off!)
Thanks again for replies so far, but still not sure we've got a definitive answer....
Stu.

Right sort of?? Are you a politician? Agree there should be more standard kit on Audi . Seems VW are leaders or is it just that Audi view their customers as suckers with fat wallets!

by sort of I mean that I originally stated that it was standard on all models except the SE, that was incorrect. It is standard on all models from the SE upwards (i.e. All except the S). I knew it was standard on all the models except the base model, I just mistakenly thought the the SE was the base model.

Anyone able to confirm if there are now two different part numbers or if the round one has been superceeded?

by sort of I mean that I originally stated that it was standard on all models except the SE, that was incorrect. It is standard on all models from the SE upwards (i.e. All except the S). I knew it was standard on all the models except the base model, I just mistakenly thought the the SE was the base model.

Ah right.. so you were mistaken.. in other words wrong!! ;-) Never mind no harm done.

Reactions: nervus
Looking at the ETKA parts catalogue I cannot find anything for the A3 but in the VW section for the Golf VII the is a round radar sensor unit used up until 27/5/13 and then a rectangular one from then on.

Reactions: mjcourtney
Bring back the round one, I say! The rectangular one just looks like an after thought :(

Having found the radar sensor in the Golf section I had another look in the A3 section and found the details. The Golf shows a round one and then a rectangular one but it seems Audi could not be bothered to change the drawings and just changed the part numbers with effect from 16/9/2013. I would assume that if it changed shape on the Golf it also changed shape on the A3.