AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Missing Radar detector thingy?

1st Gear

Status
    I don't think Silky_S3 ordered the DA pack though and he got the round one too.

I reckon that either everyone got the round one up until a certain build date, and then after that they started fitting the square one to cars that didn't have the DA pack spec'd OR that they fit the round ones to all cars until stocks run low in which case they pilfer stock from the VW plant and fit them to the non-DA spec'd cars so as not to hold up the production line. Every time we try and establish exactly what sort of logic dictates who gets which sensor someone else pops up with an example that's proves it wrong. My head is starting to hurt!

In any case, as you say, who's going to use it above 100mph in this country anyway? Also the cost of changing them over is about 3-4 times the cost of the original option (?) so I can't see anyone doing that purely for cosmetic reasons.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Have you tried putting it into the configurator? When you select the assist pack the side assist greys out.
    Sure but the side assist + lane assist option doesn't.

Full LED baby !

Status
    yes but your car was built several months ago I guess

early 2013 all A3 had the round sensor, then audi decided to get the same sensor as the one from the golf (flat) if the car didn't have driver assistance pack because it was cheaper to buy from Bosch and anyway, if the car didn't have the driver assistance pack, the driver would not be able to use the radar at more than 100 mph even if the radar was capable of more.

i can quote myself :

Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    actually the flat ACC is up to 150Km/h and the other one is up to 200Km/h
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

6th Gear

Status
    Interestingly, seems I can recreate my spec with the drivers assist pack now, BUT it's £345 more expensive than selecting all the components individually - the only difference being that my ACC 'only' goes up to 100mph!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Maybe if I go in and complain about it they'll alter mine to work up to the higher speeds?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Full LED baby !

Status
    It may be possible but not sure they would know how to do it
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Porsche BBK...

1st Gear

Status
    So Silky's car was also an end of October build (BW44), yet he has the old sensor despite not having spec'd the DA pack. Perhaps this was around the changeover date.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    It may be possible but not sure they would know how to do it
    Was only joking... I don't need (or want) my CC to go that high! If I'm ever driving that fast I want to be in full control at all times!

Full LED baby !

Status
    well cool thing you can do with the ACC is actually follow someone at a distance quite well.
    Tried once at 110 mph to follow an Audi A6 and worked nicely.
    Porsche BBK...

5th Gear

Status
    A friend is picking up his new Golf GTI in a few weeks, and his will come with a flat ACC cover:
    golf-acc.jpg

Whereas other Golf's (non-GTI) have the dome:

golf-acc-2.jpg

It must be something to do with equipment / options as to whether you get dome or flat. But either way, the flat somehow looks better on the GTI than it does on the A3.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Yep, but I don't drive that fast, nor do I think it's in any way sensible on UK roads. Somewhere where they look after the road surface better and clear up debris on the road more effectively, perhaps... but somewhere I could get a blowout at 100mph (pretty much dead if that happens) by a bit of debris on the road? No way.

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeber View Post
    I reckon that either everyone got the round one up until a certain build date, and then after that they started fitting the square one to cars that didn't have the DA pack spec'd OR ...
    I suspect it's this. All the Golfs and A3s I've seen until recently have the round sensor. I wonder if the higher speed with the DA pack was to do with the camera for extra information into the system, or just paying for more advanced software.

Bosch have now introduced a cheaper sensor which works fine upto the speeds allowed without the DA pack:
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52's link
    Bosch is expanding its portfolio in the radar sensor sector by introducing the Mid-Range Radar Sensor(MRR)
    Audi and VW now fit the flat sensor where they weren't getting any benefit from the round one (eg without DA pack so there's no higher speed running anyway), reserving the round one for cars specced in such a way that they need it.

I could be wrong though! Maybe someone's got another example to disprove that theory too!

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scrofts007 View Post
    I ll have to look at configuration tomorrow. Can't understand why it would have changed from Sept to Dec? I didn't spec ACC high specifically as I recall, just the comfort pack?
    ACC is an option in its own right - you don't get it as standard or as part of a pack - unless it's all changed since I ordered mine. The comfort pack comes with regular cruise control, but not ACC of any sort.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    I can confirm I only have ACC (up to 100mph) no other drivers aids.

Long live the dome!
    S3 8V Sportback Stronic, Estoril Blue Crystal Effect, Black Interior, Adaptive Cruise with Stop & Go & Pre Sense, Super Sports Seats with Electric Lumber, LED Headlights, Interior Lighting Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy Glass, Comfort Package, Technology Package with Audi Connect, Advance Key, Folding Door Mirrors, Extended Mono.Pur Interior, Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Audi Sound System.

Build Thread Here!

6th Gear

Status
    Comfort pack comes with either cruise control or ACC, and ACC is part of the driver assist pack.

3rd Gear

Status
    if you have ACC i believe the dome is fitted.

5th Gear

Status
    Well my order was locked last night so I've not got the DA pack but have ordered ACC with lane assist, so we'll see what sensor I get then!!
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

Interestingly the update to ETKA which I installed today now only shows the rectangular radar sensor version. The illustration of the domed version has been deleted.

I'm test driving two Golfs on Thursday, an SE and a GT. Both of these come with the ACC as standard so I will have to remember to have a look at the radar sensor on each one to see which type is fitted.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Full LED baby !

Status
    it will be the flat one if the car are brand new. the golfonly has ACC up to 150kmh so there is no point in the round one
    Porsche BBK...

Neutral

Status
    My Golf 7 GTD has ACC as standard and has the flat radar camera. All MK7 Golfs from about WK44 onwards are now arriving with the flat sensor as mentioned, with the domed one being deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Interestingly the update to ETKA which I installed today now only shows the rectangular radar sensor version. The illustration of the domed version has been deleted.

I'm test driving two Golfs on Thursday, an SE and a GT. Both of these come with the ACC as standard so I will have to remember to have a look at the radar sensor on each one to see which type is fitted.
    I drove two Golf VIIs today. One was an existing SE demonstrator and it had the domed radar sensor. The other one only arrived a few days ago and as the GT demonstrator they were going to let me drive had been sold they let me take out this new one on trade plates. It had the rectangular radar sensor. I must say personally I think the domed sensor looks a lot better than the hole in the grill rectangular version.
    cemerson likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    Well this follows no regular pattern.

Wk.11 2014 build, ACC only (S-tronic) - no other driver assist options -

Dome Sensor fitted on my car !!

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    Well this follows no regular pattern.

Wk.11 2014 build, ACC only (S-tronic) - no other driver assist options -

Dome Sensor fitted on my car !!
    So it seems - mine was build week 12, ACC + s-tronic and no other driver assist options - flat radar sensor on mine.
    Dave R (h5djr)

3rd Gear

Status
    Another possible hypothesis then.....

Dome Radar Sensor always fitted to S3's regardless, if ACC is specified (ignoring if other Driver Assist options are fitted) ?

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

6th Gear

Status
    Maybe they are both in the same parts bin and they pick one at random every time!

Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Maybe they are both in the same parts bin and they pick one at random every time!
    According to ETKA there are currently four different Radar sensors used on the A3/S3 range according to the other systems fitted. The are two ranges for the sensors 160m and 250m. The 250m range version is the domed version, all the other flat front versions. It seems that the S3 is fitted with the 250m version and all other with one of the 160m version. Audi obviously think those who drive the S3 need more warning that there is something in front than those of use who drive a A3
    cemerson likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    Ha! that's amusing.

Interestingly though, I have the domed version but cannot set my ACC higher than 100mph (as I don't have the assistance pack but do have lane assist camera etc).

I assume that the range of my domed version is cut short due to that to 160m rather than 250m.

When driving along I've been trying to judge at what kind of distance my radar starts to pick something up in the distance and I'd say it was more like 160m than 250m - difficult to judge though really.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

6th Gear

Status
    I'm the same - I have the domed version but can't set it above 100mph (not that I ever want or need to!)

1st Gear

Status
    I should be getting my new s3 in the next couple of weeks which has acc. Sounds like it will have dome but we shall see

1st Gear

Status
    I have the DA pack but am only able to use it up to 100 mph. Anyone else had this?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123