AH FabricationsEM Tuning

Thread: flac audio

1st Gear

Status

flac audio

hi,
    will try tomm, but does anyone know if the system can play flac audio stored on sdcards?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Wha? A Trini? Yuh makin' joke! Wha-happenin' dey? There cyah be too many Audis in TnT!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeber View Post
    Wha? A Trini? Yuh makin' joke! Wha-happenin' dey? There cyah be too many Audis in TnT!
    bloody hell ! nice to have a chin wag mate.
    now i'm off to spend a penny.

trini is way barmy in it?

1st Gear

Status
    Spent quite a while living there, loved it! Loved the food and loved the ol' talk most of all.

3rd Gear

Status
    Re the FLAC question I believe the system does not recognise them. But please test anyway as I'd love some proof.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeber View Post
    Spent quite a while living there, loved it! Loved the food and loved the ol' talk most of all.

yea man, the food is good, the beaches in tobago great and the women not bad themselves.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Re the FLAC question I believe the system does not recognise them. But please test anyway as I'd love some proof.
    the googling i did says that it wont work, sad cause FLAC is open source and free, it should be adopted by all manufactures like sony is doing now.

Reverse Gear

Status
    It actually works. And you could really tell the difference between a 256cbr mp3 and a Flac. I went through quite some hassle recoding my Flacs into 320CBRs just so I could play it in my new S3, only to find out it speaks Flac. Still happy though.

Found myself listening to B&O playing HQ flacs almost as much as listening to the roar of the engine in launch control. I'd say 5 days of running in just about did it for both, engine and the B&O and I finally get to enjoy both as much as I thought I would.

PS: For anyone who speced B&O, please do yourself a favor and use Flacs. Otherwise whats the point.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LuboS View Post
    It actually works. And you could really tell the difference between a 256cbr mp3 and a Flac. I went through quite some hassle recoding my Flacs into 320CBRs just so I could play it in my new S3, only to find out it speaks Flac. Still happy though.

Found myself listening to B&O playing HQ flacs almost as much as listening to the roar of the engine in launch control. I'd say 5 days of running in just about did it for both, engine and the B&O and I finally get to enjoy both as much as I thought I would.

PS: For anyone who speced B&O, please do yourself a favor and use Flacs. Otherwise whats the point.

yea man, after hearing flac i am deleting my almost 10 year old mp3 collection, it is soo much better(quality) and compression is very good too. I am rebuilding the collection in flac.

I will try it in the audi tomm, i have the audi sound system, but if it could play flac it will def sound better as cds sound much better than mp3 in mt car.

1st Gear

Status
    That's fantastic news! We have all our music stored as FLAC, was planning to convert what I needed for use in the car but don't think I'll bother now. It'd probably be better to just get a portable hard drive (low power FAT format apparently) and fill it with FLAC files. Do you get album art etc or is that just an iPod thing?

1st Gear

Status
    That's really good news! Any info on whether album artwork works, and whether the system does any kind of indexing on the metadata within the FLAC files?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Meta works well, although the list of available fields is limited to Artist, Title, Album and Genre. First three could be shown at the screen while song is playing (if you ask for it) and genre can be used in search.

Artwork is a bit more tricky one. There are some default pictures in the system to correspond with the genre, but the ones that come with the file/album can be shown instead. I'm just not sure whether they need to be saved in the folder or the file. More investigation to follow during long winter nights. For now I'd rather spend time driving ;-)

Edit: Mind you, I have a so called "tech pack" so I've no clue as to how basic MMI handles FLACs...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LuboS View Post
    Meta works well, although the list of available fields is limited to Artist, Title, Album and Genre. First three could be shown at the screen while song is playing (if you ask for it) and genre can be used in search.

Artwork is a bit more tricky one. There are some default pictures in the system to correspond with the genre, but the ones that come with the file/album can be shown instead. I'm just not sure whether they need to be saved in the folder or the file. More investigation to follow during long winter nights. For now I'd rather spend time driving ;-)

Edit: Mind you, I have a so called "tech pack" so I've no clue as to how basic MMI handles FLACs...
    Yea mine can't see the flacs so I will have to use waves for lossless, I have Audi sound system no tech or navi pack