Suspension choice / entertainment choice - have I chosen right.

cpettigrew

Reaction score
I currently drive an A1 with sline trim / and suspension. I have ordered an sline A3 and have deselected sports suspension (which assumes that I have now chosen SE suspension.) I have therefore a couple of queries.
1. Will the car look stupid on SE suspension.
2. Is there a big difference between the different levels. E.g sline vs sport, sport vs SE etc
3. Is sline A3 much better than A1 Sline.

It's not long till my build is locked in and I want to make sure I'm not missing out or making a bad choice on suspension.

The second question is again between the SD satnav vs the tech pack. Is the standard screen terrible and look bad? Apart from higher resolution and DVD playback (which is unlikely to be ever used) what other things am I missing. I'm not going to be getting audi connect as that's a lot extra too. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra £1000 over the SD nav. Does anyone have comparison pics between the two screens.

Thanks for reading :).

I currently drive an A1 with sline trim / and suspension. I have ordered an sline A3 and have deselected sports suspension (which assumes that I have now chosen SE suspension.) I have therefore a couple of queries.
2. Is there a big difference between the different levels. E.g sline vs sport, sport vs SE etc

It's not long till my build is locked in and I want to make sure I'm not missing out or making a bad choice on suspension.

The second question is again between the SD satnav vs the tech pack. Is the standard screen terrible and look bad? Apart from higher resolution and DVD playback (which is unlikely to be ever used) what other things am I missing. I'm not going to be getting audi connect as that's a lot extra too. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the extra £1000 over the SD nav. Does anyone have comparison pics between the two screens.

If you go into the Audi UK website at Home you can donland the current Pricing and Specification Guide as a PDF file which will give you all the standard equipment that is supplied with the SE, Sport and S-Line versions. It also gives some detail of the various items that included in the various packages that are available.

My dughter's A1 S-Line has sports suspension and wishes she had s-line suspension. Currently we have the A3 S-Line on s-line suspension and the Q5 on S-!ine suspension. The S-Line set up has better body panels and other cabin figments over the rest, if I was you go or the S-Line and full suspension.

Sorry. I may not have been clear. I already have spec'd the Sline model with SE suspension. I find the sline on my A1 a little hard, it's fun but hard. I know the A3 being a more mature, refined car in would hope that sline would be better. Also with regards to screen etc i am after personal opinions rather than the Audi website.

Thanks

It's hard to say, everyone prefers different things. The only way will be to try it. Some seem to think it's essential, others say that s-line doesn't handle that much better than SE for a lot more firmness.

Yes, definitely a personal choice thing and I deleted sports suspension from my S-line as even that was too hard for me so I can imagine S-line is very hard. Almost all A3 reviews recommend going to SE suspension for UK roads, with little loss of handling or road holding but it really must be a choice based on a test drive. Deselecting sports suspension only raises it half an inch so very little effect on looks.

I have an S-line on sport suspension. I'd describe it as on the firm side of comfortable, but not too firm.

Well coming from an A1 S-Line with S-Line suspension myself, I have to say the S-Line suspension is more forgiving than the A1's, it was a must on my A3 as I like to feel the road more with the steering, but like others have said, it's down to personal choice.

As for the is A3 S-Line better than an A1 S-Line ? YES in every a way. I wouldn't say there is a massive difference in trim between S-Line & Sport, just minor styling, i.e bigger alloys, shaper bumpers, half leather, flat bottom steering wheel, black headlining etc... And obviously Xenons with LED DRLs and rear lights. But you could get a sport with the Xenon light pack and save at least £1000 over an S-Line, which you could use towards the Sat Nav or Tech pack, again personal choice on what you want looks and toys wise.

Finny

Snakehips can you show me a pic of your sline with your suspension?

Snakehips can you show me a pic of your sline with your suspension?

I'd love to oblige but I don't have it yet! Cemerson has a Sport with SE suspension but I don't know if anyone out there has an S-line with SE

Reactions: grantDUBshaw

have been on this forum a lot over last few months and only person I remember (was about 3 months ago on one of the suspension theads or poss pic thread up top?) they had S line with SE set up had said they regretted it a bit based on looks, they liked the ride but thought it compromised the looks too much ! I have gone for sports suspension with S line which is a firm ish but good compromise, I think SE suspension suites SE and sport models better as less sporty looks go a bit better with the higher ride hit.
SE suspension on S line Might slightly effect saleability slightly ? As is certainly not a common combination.

The salesman actually recommended I didn't go for the sport or SE suspension on the S-Line model, as in his opinion, the higher ride height spoilt the sporty looks of the car.

I haven't actually seen one for myself, but I opted for the full S-Line spec and S-Line suspension and haven't regretted it. It's firm but very comfortable in my opinion. Depends what sort of roads you drive on as well.

Reactions: dieseldoug
I was informed by my salesperson that if I deleted the sports suspension then it would affect the residual as the car is in a lower trim. Would that be true?

Sounds like rubbish. It might do a bit but I've never heard that before.

I'm amazed by the number of people who think it ruins the looks - never noticed it myself, and can barely tell the difference between them looking at them! It's all personal choice though, not up to the salesman what he thinks of the looks, it's up to you.

For me, even SE is quite firm enough, and all the reviews I've seen say the lower suspension makes it firmer without actually improving the handling any. Looks are the lowest priority on my list :)

Reactions: M11 CUV
Only he was the sales manager, I agree in some respect. If the standard suspension is the sport, as it is on the saloon, if you dumb it down then you are possibly losing some desirability..

'dumb it down'?

Sport suspension could even put people off buying, can't see it being more popular than SE really. Especially since all the reviews I've read (and potential buyers will probably read) say to go for SE.

Reactions: Daveotto
Only he was the sales manager, I agree in some respect. If the standard suspension is the sport, as it is on the saloon, if you dumb it down then you are possibly losing some desirability..

But if you believe all the "professional" reviews they recommend the SE suspension so should make it more desirable, and increase resale value. IMHO (no data) I doubt suspension will make and difference to residuals.

I doubt the sales manager could provide any real data to support his view, and believe it is a personal opinion and the sales manager should only be giving you facts, unless he states its a personal view.

Reactions: M11 CUV
SE suspension runs around with its **** in the air.

Sports suspension sits down flat.

S line suspension sits nice and low but shakes your fillings out.

Reactions: Fragup

And there's a resale market for all three, just as there is for new.

I nearly went for the SE suspension on my S-Line, glad i didn't, I find the standard sports suspension fine.

The Tech pack is great, depends on your budget whether or not you think its worth it.

If you're having an S-tronic, hill hold assist is an absolute must

I have S-Line with Sports suspension, I think it is a great as it looks great and handles well too. I have got standard screen with the optional sat nav which I use every day and is really good.

I have S-Line with Sports suspension, I think it is a great as it looks great and handles well too. I have got standard screen with the optional sat nav which I use every day and is really good.

i have driven 3 door / 5 door and petrol and diesel (the weight of the engine does make a difference) all on sports suspension and just works !
looks great, handles even better and is still comfy, I think a couple of early reviews based there opinions of SE being best on preconceptions of the last model as that was less comfortable and a couple more followed, lazy journalism i think if you read them properly (a few hadn't even tested the other suspension options) For me the sports suspension is the best, but Audi are right to offer the choice as everyone is different.

Reactions: Daveotto

PS My S line is running sports suspension as well and it looks good and drives brilliant.

My Sline has the standard S Line suspension, I didnt go for the extra ten mm of lowering that you can opt for. The suspension whilst being fairly firm is excellent it's not too harsh even over potholes. I think with the bigger wheels and S Line body kit it may not look quite as nice as the lowered car. But only you can decide, so go try one at the dealers.

At the old age of 53 I may have a strange view on this and I came from an A1sport

if you want a comfort car get the SE and extras
if you want a sporty car get an sline

its wrong to go sline with non sline suspension.
i want it to look like a sports car and drive like a comfort cruiser, really?