Chris NottEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

How easy it is to change the headlight bulbs (Non LED)

A quick question for someone, How easy / hard is it to replace the halogen bulbs in the headlights?

On my current car it's an incredible faff as you need to remove the whole headlight unit, lots of screws and disconnections.

Reason being as I don't have the LED light package on my A3 to be. I want to replace the standard bulbs with some Philips X-treme Vision.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Easy to do slacken off 3 torx screws2 different sizes ( slacken the top ones fully as they are located in a hole) remove the wiring plug and s.die out the whole headlight

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

Neutral

Status
    Or go to halfords and let them do it!

2nd Gear

Status
    Perfect was looking for this as just had a horrendous journey thru the highlands and the 8V bulbs are pretty poor in dipped and main so going to upgrade to these
    Osram Audi Nightbreaker UNLIMITED - Performance Bulb Set - H7 477 | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

1st Gear

Status
    Good timing eh can you let me know how you get on!

cheers all

1st Gear

Status
    Was curious how the original poster got on swapping out bulbs...

I've had a new set of Nightbreaker bulbs to install for a while now but dipped beam bulbs looked impossible to access do put it off....
    A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Sport in Monsoon Grey with added extras - 5 arm 'kinetic' design wheels, comfort pack, audi sound system, storage and luggage pack, SD Satnav and Interior Light Pack.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I swapped mine today for Osram nightbreakers I tried undoing the torqs screws but the headlights still seemed to be held in so I just removed the rubber covers reached in and removed the bulbs they just twist about 10 degrees then they come out on the wire you then pull the plug off then prise the clip off the old bulb and refit it to the new bulb then refit the bulb took me about 15 minutes start to finish.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just thought I'd add I have driven with the osram nightbreakers for a few days and I don't think they are much different from the standard osram bulbs I took out. Maybe it's just my failing eyesight lol.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have never used the Osram NightBreakers but I have had the Philips Extreme Vision on previous cars which were very good and had rave reviews.

Am on Xenons now so can't comment specifically for the 8V

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    Digging an old thread back up here,

Looking at fitting the X-Treme vision bulbs for a whiter light.

The owners manual shows main beam headlight / daytime runing light as 55/15 W (H15 LL) and dipped beam headlight as 55W (H7 LL)

When I search online all websites show the main beam as a H7 for the A3, X Treme vision doesn't come in a H15? Would a H7 bulb work for the main beam?

Thanks for any help, bit of a newbie when it comes to the different types of bulbs!
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MA3RC View Post
    The owners manual shows main beam headlight / daytime runing light as 55/15 W (H15 LL) and dipped beam headlight as 55W (H7 LL)

When I search online all websites show the main beam as a H7 for the A3, X Treme vision doesn't come in a H15? Would a H7 bulb work for the main beam?
    Check which you actually have fitted if possible. H15 and H7 are very different fittings so one ill definitely not work in place of the other.

I never found faffing with halogen bulbs made much difference on my 8P; I think Audis come with pretty good bulbs to start with.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Flibble View Post
    Check which you actually have fitted if possible. H15 and H7 are very different fittings so one ill definitely not work in place of the other.

I never found faffing with halogen bulbs made much difference on my 8P; I think Audis come with pretty good bulbs to start with.
    Is there an easy way to tell? Or will I have to remove the bulbs? I'm after more of a white look than anything, I'm not a fan of the yellow tinge to the standard lights
    2014 Audi A3 8v 1.4 COD Sport, 3 door hatchback in Brilliant Red, with Privacy Glass, Comfort Pack, Hold Assist, 17” x 7.5J ‘10-spoke Dynamic’ design alloy wheels.