GNJ Motorsport Progress Thread - See Here For The Latest S3 Parts!

GNJ_Motorsport

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.gnjmotorsport.com
Well I thought it was about time we started our progress thread for the imminent arrival of our new S3. It is due here early January but I thought I'd make a start now :)

I'll also keep this thread updated with all the tuning parts we have available for the new S3 (and A3)

Car spec:

3 door manual
Brilliant black
Bang & Olufsen stereo
Interior light pack
Black styling pack
Standard black leather

Plans:

H&R 40mm lowering springs
H&R Trak+ wheel spacers (not sure on size until we get the car!)

The car will be going to Cobra Sport shortly after arrival for a full turbo back exhaust system to be developed. These will be available to buy shortly after and I envisage there will be an option to just fit a downpipe for performance and retain the standard cat back.

Also on the cards is a trip to Forge Motorsport. Details to follow on that shortly.

Tuning wise we are yet to decide which route to go down but we will probably test the DTE tuning box on the standard car for a while and then go to Shark Performance for stage 3 at a later date.

I have no doubt the car will have various different setups throughout its life here as we have bought it as a company demo car at the end of the day.

Pics from H&R with the springs fitted, sits really nice as I'm sure you will agree!

2323a.jpg

Reactions: Battlekrapz, Fragup, ABYSS and 4 others
Ill keep a keen watch on this! Top work.

Reactions: GNJ_Motorsport
Nice one Graeme looking forward to seeing the progress ;)

wow that looks fab Graeme, i deffo need some springs and spacers for the vRS :)

Reactions: GNJ_Motorsport
Right a quick update on this. Received this pic late on yesterday from Kings Lynn Audi

1506302_716301121722142_818855900_o.jpg

Very pleased with the look of the car.

Collecting Saturday morning.

First mods are going to be RaceMax wheel spacers. We have these on the shelf in varying sizes so we will test fit them and see what works best and release pics and prices in due course.

Next will be a set of H&R lowering springs which should give a nice 20mm drop. These will be on in around a week and again we will release pics of the car fitted with them along with prices.

We also have a DTUK tuning box ready to go on the car once we have run it in. These 3 mods will complete the first stage of the car. Hopefully this will give a good setup to think about for those understandably not wanting to tune the car too far with the manufacturers warranty to think about. This box has been dyno tested with a gain of 46 BHP and we will be testing ours locally on a 4WD dyno.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks, Marky142, J6YAK and 3 others
Hi Graeme lovely car bet u can't wait till Saturday :)

You mentioned without affecting the warranty. If you changed the car in any way wouldn't you have void your warranty, especially the remapping?

What bhp did the dyno show before the remap?

Reactions: snowfree52
Right a quick update on this. Received this pic late on yesterday from Kings Lynn Audi

Collecting Saturday morning.

First mods are going to be RaceMax wheel spacers. We have these on the shelf in varying sizes so we will test fit them and see what works best and release pics and prices in due course.

Next will be a set of H&R lowering springs which should give a nice 20mm drop. These will be on in around a week and again we will release pics of the car fitted with them along with prices.

We also have a DTUK tuning box ready to go on the car once we have run it in. These 3 mods will complete the first stage of the car. Hopefully this will give a good setup to think about for those understandably not wanting to tune the car too far with the manufacturers warranty to think about. This box has been dyno tested with a gain of 46 BHP and we will be testing ours locally on a 4WD dyno.

Looking good already mate, can't wait until you get the spacers and springs on tho as these are mods I'm looking to do also, as well as an exhaust, wheels and poss a map??

Have you got some other pics mate, side profile and back at all?

No sorry, we did but they looked daft as the car still has the spring blocks in from the transporter so it looked higher than a Q5!

There will be loads of pics on Monday when we've cleaned it. Pics with springs and spacers to follow as soon as the springs land from Germany.

The brilliant black looks better than I expected tbh, can't wait to see the rest of the pics

Reactions: GRE57Y

Looks awesome very stealth! works very well with the black pack.

think ill be interested in the lowering springs too.

is this the correct page? Teilekatalog

i assume all the S3 cars have drive select.

i think thats all that it needs visually to finish it off nicely. I've got the H&R kit that your guys swapped from another member on the MK5GolfGTI forum back in august/september, who got the Bilstein kit i originally got from you.

don't want to go coil overs on the S3, but it needs a bit of a drop IMO. just to fill out the arches properly. will be eagerly awaiting pics of yours on these springs.

you planning on changing the wheels or keeping stock? which you go for s-line or s3?

also the pic from H&R isn't displaying in your first post. can you post another?

Are the lowering springs ok to use with mag suspension? And won't the dealers void the warranty if the suspension components get changed at all

Be careful on those speed bumps when lowered the sump is plastic.

Seriously though it is plastic although not to worry you'd be hard pushed to catch it on something.

Be careful on those speed bumps when lowered the sump is plastic.

Seriously though it is plastic although not to worry you'd be hard pushed to catch it on something.

Springs will be no problem. its when you change to coilovers you need to be careful. even the change from 19 inch wheels to 18s can mean the difference between hitting the sump over the middle of a speed bump (18s) and missing it (19s)

I got some lowering springs fitted to my MK5 Golf GTI as one spring was snapped, and would have failed the MOT but a replacement was £80 for one from VW or I got a set of 4 eibach lowering springs for £135. they were fine even when the car was fully loaded I never had a problem with a speedbump.

Springs will be no problem. its when you change to coilovers you need to be careful. even the change from 19 inch wheels to 18s can mean the difference between hitting the sump over the middle of a speed bump (18s) and missing it (19s)

I got some lowering springs fitted to my MK5 Golf GTI as one spring was snapped, and would have failed the MOT but a replacement was £80 for one from VW or I got a set of 4 eibach lowering springs for £135. they were fine even when the car was fully loaded I never had a problem with a speedbump.

Changing the wheel will be fine as the diameter of the over over the tyre will be the same. Alloy gets bigger tyre smaller but overall is same

Lowering springs and coil overs def change the risk tho . Audis start high so springs should be find around 20-30 mm

You mentioned without affecting the warranty. If you changed the car in any way wouldn't you have void your warranty, especially the remapping?

Yes, but the box is removeable and untraceable.

What bhp did the dyno show before the remap?

Bit disappointing actually, it was around 280bhp. There are others that have dynoed the claimed 300bhp though so maybe it was just the car settling in. We will be putting ours on the dyno in a week or two (before and after)

will you be releasing something for the brakes ?

Yes, this is something we will be looking at shortly.

Looking good already mate, can't wait until you get the spacers and springs on tho as these are mods I'm looking to do also, as well as an exhaust, wheels and poss a map??

The car is going to Cobra Sport for exhaust development in April so keep an eye on that. Map wise the only thing available at the moment is the tuning boxes as the ECU can't be mapped yet.

Co demo cars:thumbsup: will keep an eye on this, i do like a good build thread.

Thanks mate, will do all I can to keep it up to date.

Will have pics of the car tomorrow :)

Are the lowering springs ok to use with mag suspension? And won't the dealers void the warranty if the suspension components get changed at all

Yes they will void the warranty, something those with Mag ride need to bear in mind as they are far from cheap to replace should the worst happen. Our doesn't have mag ride.

Reactions: Ziggyma89
Right I collected ours yesterday from Kings Lynn Audi so here are my thoughts.

The car is absolutely brilliant. I'll expand on this....

Exterior:

The car looks fantastic from every angle. Really pleased with the spec I went for (S3 wheels, brilliant black and black styling pack) and my initial thoughts that I'd be snapping mad at myself for forgetting to spec tints has disappeared, it actually looks better without in my opinion. I arrived at the dealer and they had done as I asked and not made a massive fanfare of the handover. It was sat inside the showroom with a rope around it but there were no silly 'This is your new car Mr Johnston' signs or any sheets over the thing!

My only criticism, which I suppose isn't a criticism as such as I know they have to have them a certain way for the mass market, but the stance is typical Audi. The wheels sit way too far inside the arches and the arch gap is too big. A nice 20mm drop on H&R springs along with our RaceMax track widening kit will sort this out later this week.

Interior:

Absolutely awesome, I cannot fault it in any single way. The steering wheel is brilliant, seat comfortable and supportive (standard black leathers) and the Bang & Olufsen stereo is light years ahead of anything I have heard in any car ever. I have yet to hear a single rattle. I don't need to say anymore on this as its just superb.

Performance:

Initially I was a little uninspired by the pull of it. yes it is quick but its all too easy. That is a good thing for me as we are obviously going to tune the car quite extensively so its good to see at 300bhp it isn't anywhere close to being phased. Now the car has 350 miles on the clock it seems to have loosened up a touch and I'm more impressed. The in gear acceleration is great, the best way I can describe the straight line speed is it feels very, very similar to when we do a stage 1 Shark Performance map on an S3 8P so that isn't a bad starting point at all

Before anyone asks about running the car in, I am a great believer that you can be too easy on a brand new cars motor. They are bench run in and I think once you get to 100 miles to make sure all is running as it should you are good to push on. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been absolutely hammered but it has been driven as was intended for a 300bhp hatch. Looking after the clutch by avoiding launches and avoiding hammering the brakes is in my opinion far more important.

Handling:

I'm surprised at how different it feels to the 8P here. The 8P feels heavy and cumbersome at times but this feels really light and nimble. The steering is a little vague yes but is this such a bad thing. We have a Clio 197 which is absolutely brilliant to drive when you're in the mood to go a bit mad but driving it to the shops can be a little frustrating as it seems to just want to be chucked everywhere at pace. I have found myself actually wanting to just drive the S3 at a slower pace and enjoy the creature comforts it has, then when the road opens up away you go. It was never designed as an all out performance car.

Basically I think as a daily driver it is absolutely perfectly setup with a nice ride and light steering. I have yet to have it understeer and its been wet here and I have pushed it a little to the point where I think if it was an issue I'd have had it sliding by now.

Hopefully that helps some you guys waiting for yours. Any questions you may have just fire away. I'll be posting pics tomorrow when it has been cleaned!

Reactions: The Engineer, s3_trev, Lmg and 7 others
Cracking little review mate, now get them pics up of interior and exterior,

Very interested with what you do to the car as I'm getting itchy feet with mine

Are you planning 19's?

Right some news for you all :)

We have been testing this for the past 24 hours

EUye8vr.jpg

I can report that the box works brilliantly. The car has retained the stock power delivery which we have been impressed with but is much quicker through the gears. We have these available immediately for £649 fitted or £569 delivered. All prices inc VAT. The box is giving a 50 PS gain.

I'll report back when it has been on the car for a week.

Some more info from DTUK:

FSR+ Hybrid - Multi-Channel Petrol Tuning System

The latest addition to the DTUK® range, developed alongside Shark Performance, the FSR+ Hybrid has been developed for the very latest turbocharged premium petrol cars.

In response to the shift to even more complex tamperproof vehicle ECU’s by many German car manufacturers we have teamed up with Shark Performance to develop a solution that offers a ‘remap in a box’ that does not require physical, warranty voiding, changes to your vehicles ECU. Combining the best of both worlds – the plug & play nature of a tuning box with the in-depth monitoring and software optimisation of a high-quality remap and DTUK’s years of successful system developments with Shark’s years of equally successful software development - the Hybrid is born.

The FSR+ Hybrid Petrol Tuning System.

The FSR+ Petrol Tuning System is an all new system that builds on our existing multimap technology from both our diesel CRD-T and petrol CRD-P systems and adds an increased level of multi-channel monitoring and control as demanded by the latest vehicle OEM ECU’s.

The FSR+ is capable of interacting with multiple channels across multiple sensors to suit each application. These can include RPM, fuel injection, boost pressure, air mass, temperature and more. By simultaneously monitoring a variety of sensors an optimised level of tune can be safely achieved.

Just like the DTUK® Diesel Tuning Systems you may already be familiar with, this system is designed to be plug and play albeit with more connections than most diesel applications due to the number of monitoring points mentioned above.

To maintain quality, safety and suitability we only use Original Equipment (OE) connectors in our systems which enables easy, quick fitting in minutes, not hours. This means that the kit can be removed just as easily when required. Once the system is removed your car reverts back to factory settings.

Often the system can be re-programmed to fit other applications if you change your current car*.

Added benefit of the FSR+ Hybrid Petrol Tuning System.

Historically, our systems have been designed specifically for standard cars. We appreciate that many petrol turbo owners will want to make future hardware upgrades to their engines. If you fall in to this category then you can take advantage of the FSR+ upgrade option where your system can be re-programmed to suit your modifications**.

All FSR+ Petrol Tuning systems arrive to you carefully packed, complete with everything you will need for simple and straightforward installation. This includes full colour instructions, your petrol tuning system, the correct wiring harness including OE connectors and where applicable a blanking plug should you wish to temporarily return the car to standard trim without removing the loom.

These units come with full TüV approval and are well protected in a special heat and acid-resistant plastic exterior housing. Wiring harnesses are equipped with up to seven separate connections and are thoroughly checked, physically and electronically, several times before despatch. The sturdy 18-pin connector used to connect the system to the loom provided is specially designed for tough conditions and is used throughout the automotive sector. The adapter plugs are manufactured to OEM quality. No soldering or cutting of wires is necessary. Just connect it up and it’s done!

The FSR+ system is subject to the strict quality controls of the system manufacturer DTE Systems GmbH. This guarantees that you the customer will receive the best possible product.

*Dependent on compatibility. A replacement loom may be required as well as a software change.

**Software changes subject to development that may be chargeable and may require the vehicle being taken to DTUK®, Shark or an approved dealer thereof.

Updates on wheel spacers and the H&R springs to come shortly once the springs land from Germany.

Reactions: Johnnyb and geefunk1978
What's the new 0-60 time with launch control and get some pics up mate looks lovely

Yeah, they are really good kits :)

You getting one?

I've just removed my DTUK Tuning box from my TT in preparation for getting my new car on thurs, I have to say although mine is for a diesel and obviously a different box the build quality is really good from these guys and it does what it says on the tin, the mid range pull is awesome!! Hope it's the same improvement, if not better in the S3!!

I am seriously considering getting one of these and I'm very interested to hear how you get on with it

GNJ, as regards to the warranty. Doesn't it flag up a TD1 warranty code when you put the tunning box in?

Hi GNJ, could you please take some photos of the tuning box as fitted, as I would love to know how well you've managed to 'hide' it (or not as the case may be!) Thanks!

This thing intrigues me, coming from someone who has always gone with a flash tune instead.

I'll be honest that I've been speaking to ABT who tell me their tune is an actual ECU flash. The price though is absurd! Heck, for the price they charge, I could get a stage 2 setup on a Golf R!

How do the tuning boxes stack up with additional mods? Most flash tunes already leverage an air intake or TBE should you decide to add those. Is it the same case with a tuning box?

GNJ, as regards to the warranty. Doesn't it flag up a TD1 warranty code when you put the tunning box in?

No, completely un-traceable once removed.

Hi GNJ, could you please take some photos of the tuning box as fitted, as I would love to know how well you've managed to 'hide' it (or not as the case may be!) Thanks!

Will do, we have test fitted it at the moment so we haven't decided the best location that we will use on customers cars. Having it hidden isn't much of an issue as I'd take it off when the car goes to the dealer if warranty is a worry.

This thing intrigues me, coming from someone who has always gone with a flash tune instead.

I'll be honest that I've been speaking to ABT who tell me their tune is an actual ECU flash. The price though is absurd! Heck, for the price they charge, I could get a stage 2 setup on a Golf R!

How do the tuning boxes stack up with additional mods? Most flash tunes already leverage an air intake or TBE should you decide to add those. Is it the same case with a tuning box?

This is re-tuneable for stage 2/3 at a cost of £100, so you're covered.

Reactions: ConS3