So what's the deal with Apple Lightning connectors

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Seen a few threads about this but wondered if anyone has any conclusive results from testing either an iPhone 5/5C/5S or a 5th gen iPod Touch with the AMI.

If you've tried this please post with your results, including functionality (artwork etc), adapters used, Audi cable type (blue/red) and so forth. Would be interested in the results :)

I've just bought an official lightning adaptor online. Once it arrives I'll let you know.
It'll be with Red collar cable, iPhone 5 & Tech Pack.

From other reports the official Apple cable + red collar AMI cable should work fine until Audi bring out a lightning AMI cable.

Most people with issues have been using eBay knock-offs.

John.

IF Audi bring out a lightning cable. They might just decide they don't want to jump through Apple's hoops any more :p

I have red collar and adapter from Apple. Non tech. Does show artwork and will I think play vids but can't 100% that. Can't remember if I tried it with my 5 or if it was when I was on 4. Will check tomorrow

Seen a few threads about this but wondered if anyone has any conclusive results from testing either an iPhone 5/5C/5S or a 5th gen iPod Touch with the AMI.

If you've tried this please post with your results, including functionality (artwork etc), adapters used, Audi cable type (blue/red) and so forth. Would be interested in the results :)

just junk that apple doggy doo and go with Samsung

would be nice if apple invented something rather than steal other peoples ideas and then try and redesign a standard piece of equipment that's worked perfectly for years eg usb charging cables

I gave up on apple a long time ago as their insistence on only using apple products is plain ridiculous and as more and more people are finding out their connectivity to non apple products is a joke

2 or so years ago I had a Samsung s2 and an apple iphone 3gs - a genuine Samsung charger was £2.50 to £3, apple's charger of a lower spec was £25 - Samsung usb cables were £1, apple £10

Also, good luck using an iphone 5 or lower on a 4g network, the iphone antennae sucks

Reactions: s3_trev and cuke2u
Hadn't read that bit. Strange as both the part numbers are the same. The one I posted first was of an ETKA page that shows it and lists it for lightening connectors.

Gonna have to drop the dealers an email I think to find out for sure

The part number of the cable in the photo is completely different to that of the cable on ETKA.

Need to pop my dealer a note about making sure I get this thrown in. I presume it will do video and artwork too?

Checked the 4F0051510AC part number with my dealer today and yes it is the new AMI Lighting cable, and yes is now available :D will order mine in the morning! Although he believes it to be priced at £46.66!!! :O

Reactions: Dan76
Checked the 4F0051510AC part number with my dealer today and yes it is the new AMI Lighting cable, and yes is now available :D will order mine in the morning! Although he believes it to be priced at £46.66!!! :O

Is this the same price as the red one?!

My dealer got back to me today and said

This new cable has been launched but currently is on “back order” which means although we have some on order the factory can’t advise when we will receive them, so would you like me to supply once they come in to stock? There would be no cost implication to you.

I'll probably go red collar and then just buy the cable after. I can still use the red collar for my iPad presumably without requiring an adaptor?

My guy said the same but gave me a price of £36 this time. Said it should only be a couple of weeks away as the number is on the system. He is going to give me a call when they arrive.

As for the iPad so long as it has the old 30 pin connector it should work fine, just don't expect it to fit in the arm rest lol ;)

My connector arrived today.

iPhone 5, tech pack, red collar cable with official lightning connector all work perfectly together. All album art and random playback available now.

Send the dealer an email requesting the new lightning ami cable today too - thanks for the heads up guys

Right, so what's the difference between red collar cable + lightning adapter vs. just the lightning cable?

It's about time, good to see this though.

Now wondering if this will work on my 2011 A1, as the red cable does not.

Right, so what's the difference between red collar cable + lightning adapter vs. just the lightning cable?

For me, having to remove my shockproof iPhone case to accommodate the adaptor. Does the iPhone 5 plus adaptor plus cable still fit in the arm rest? That combo does not fit in my Gti's arm rest.

For me, having to remove my shockproof iPhone case to accommodate the adaptor. Does the iPhone 5 plus adaptor plus cable still fit in the arm rest? That combo does not fit in my Gti's arm rest.

Yes it does

If you have the regular old Tech Pack + the new cable do you think it will charge when plugged in?

Doubt it, otherwise your adapter would surely have been able to do it? I think they removed a load of functionality with the lightning connector, like the music stuff as well. And made sure that any cables would be a lot more expensive as you have to have some electronic module in the cable now so that Apple can control who can make them...

Doubt it, otherwise your adapter would surely have been able to do it? I think they removed a load of functionality with the lightning connector, like the music stuff as well. And made sure that any cables would be a lot more expensive as you have to have some electronic module in the cable now so that Apple can control who can make them...

I'm not convinced either, the fundamental difference between the old 30 pin and the new lightning connectors are analogue v's digital.
The reason behind the electronics in the adaptor is 2 fold, 1 is a built in DA converter to make it compatible for audio and control via old 30 pin docks.
Also it has dynamic pin allocation so it can be inserted either way round, it also knows what it is connected to so it can allocate the pins in the correct way.

So the theory is it could be used with a HDMI adaptor for video (HDMI is digital), now the AMI in the A3 does have a composite video cable available, but that tells me it only has an analogue video input, but is the DA in the lightning AMI cable only for audio or for video as well? My guess is audio only due to cost.

So in a word, no! I don't think it will give video as well, but here's hoping ;)

Micro USB & MHL sockets can do all of that (except being inserted either way... but you still can't get it wrong, what's the point of this feature apart from adding huge cost?), and don't need all that in every cable!

But anyway, Apple wouldn't do that :p

I think the old iPhones had analogue out via their 30 pin, as well as digital. Lightning is only digital.

Things like docking stations and the old Audi 30 pin lead must have used the analogue out pins, meaning that the Apple lightning adaptor needs a D to A convertor to make it work with them. The cheap eBay adaptors must just connect power and data through, but leave nothing on their analogue audio 30 pin pins.

The Audi AMI must already have a D to A so that it can play from USB, etc., so it is possible that a simple connector without electronics would allow all the features if the software at both ends supports it.

I'm just guessing though - will be interesting to see once people have got and tried the new Audi cable.

Micro USB & MHL sockets can do all of that (except being inserted either way... but you still can't get it wrong, what's the point of this feature apart from adding huge cost?), and don't need all that in every cable!

But anyway, Apple wouldn't do that :p

I don't really know the ins and outs of USB's capabilitys to be honest, and I it would have been nice if Apple had of adopted it, but I guess it would have rendered all the millions of iPod docks already owned by people useless if it couldn't be adapted to analogue?

Besides Audi are just as bad with their AMI cables, when they could have just fitted a USB socket with the relevant drivers for android, apple etc ;)

USB aren't analogue, they carry digital signals just like any other cable. Apple have just stubbornly refused to adopt the standard that all of the other major smartphone manufacturers have, and this will also soon be EU legislation EU move to standardise phone chargers is bad news for Apple • The Register and yes, Audi are just as bad as you will find USB sockets in every other car as far as I know.

USB aren't analogue, they carry digital signals just like any other cable. Apple have just stubbornly refused to adopt the standard that all of the other major smartphone manufacturers have, and this will also soon be EU legislation EU move to standardise phone chargers is bad news for Apple • The Register and yes, Audi are just as bad as you will find USB sockets in every other car as far as I know.

It's a perfectly legit business model tying people into their product families & squeezing even more money out of their customers. It p*sses me off that Governments and Organisations like the EU can stick their noses into the perfectly reasonable ways these companies do business.

If you don't want to have to buy lightning adapters, don't buy Apple products... it's so incredibly simple.

I even disagreed with the way they made Microsoft offer their customers alternatives to IE, and I hate Internet Explorer with a vengeance, it's caused me massive headaches over the years but why should one company advertise its competitors. It's like walking into John Lewis and seeing PC World signs all over their technology department!

AMI supports other things too, 3.5mm jack for example, and even VGA and RCA adapters, but I take your point ;)

Reactions: 97catalunya
It's a perfectly legit business model tying people into their product families & squeezing even more money out of their customers. It p*sses me off that Governments and Organisations like the EU can stick their noses into the perfectly reasonable ways these companies do business.

If you don't want to have to buy lightning adapters, don't buy Apple products... it's so incredibly simple.

I even disagreed with the way they made Microsoft offer their customers alternatives to IE, and I hate Internet Explorer with a vengeance, it's caused me massive headaches over the years but why should one company advertise its competitors. It's like walking into John Lewis and seeing PC World signs all over their technology department!

There's more to it than that though, including being able to reuse chargers etc - there's a green aspect to it all. For example, if you buy a kindle it doesn't come with a power adapter since it assumes you'll have one. Apple already have to offer the micro USB to lightning adapter in the EU by law. It'll be a good day when they have to fall in line with everyone else. Them being different increases their profits, but only hurts the consumer - nothing else.

Reactions: cuke2u

Hi, which is why Apple have lost a customer, and seeing as you raise the subject of internet browsers. Anyone with a single celled brain would know that there has been alternatives for years. By the way, do apple allow their OS officially to be installed on anything other than Apple products. What about Safari bundled with their products, why can't you get any apps for Apple products other than from iTunes?

.... but why should one company advertise its competitors. It's like walking into John Lewis and seeing PC World signs all over their technology department!

Guess you haven't been to Heathrow terminal 5 (BA only terminal) international satellites recently: Billboard adverts for Virgin Atlantic everywhere...

Guess you haven't been to Heathrow terminal 5 (BA only terminal) international satellites recently: Billboard adverts for Virgin Atlantic everywhere...

That's most likely advertising & not Government or EU imposed, so it's different.