Volks AutosChris Nott
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: So what's the deal with Apple Lightning connectors

5th Gear

Status
    Probably worth clarifying the part numbers of the two different AMI Lightning adapters to avoid confusion.

4F0051510AC - Seems to be the one that has been on back order for ages and, potentially, will play video and display album artwork (someone needs to test this).

4F0051510?? - The one Cruiser89 tested and found that it didn't do video or artwork - we could do with a full part number for this one so we know which is which!
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    What's the point of the other cable then? Why would anyone buy it?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    Watch out guys!

My dealer just informed me yesterday that the iPhone 5, 5C, 5S lightning cable have been released by Audi / Apple.

Part nr.: 4F0051510AC

Go Go Go Gooo!!

Can you buy this from any Audi dealership now?
    2014 - S3 3dr S-tronic, Glacier White, Black styling pack, Advanced key, Super sports seats, LED headlights, Interior lighting package, B&O system, Tech pack, Comfort pack, reversing camera, Cruise control, Light and rain sensor, Parking system plus, Privacy Glass.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2011 View Post
    Can you buy this from any Audi dealership now?
    My dealer says so, at least he has just ordered it for me
    Using Tapatalk

Reverse Gear

Status
    I just ordered one from preston audi, they have no idea when it will arrive though

Will test if it does video/artwork before i accept.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    My dealer says so, at least he has just ordered it for me
    Dealers have been able to order this since December last year, but there has been no expected delivery date on the system. This usually means an item is on back order. If the system is now displaying a delivery date then it means things are moving, if there is still no date then it's no change from December.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    So does the genuine audi cable that connects to the iPhone 4 with the lightning adaptor to iPhone 5 work perfectly? Album artwork too??

Apologies if this has already been discussed.
    2014 - S3 3dr S-tronic, Glacier White, Black styling pack, Advanced key, Super sports seats, LED headlights, Interior lighting package, B&O system, Tech pack, Comfort pack, reversing camera, Cruise control, Light and rain sensor, Parking system plus, Privacy Glass.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2011 View Post
    So does the genuine audi cable that connects to the iPhone 4 with the lightning adaptor to iPhone 5 work perfectly? Album artwork too??

Apologies if this has already been discussed.
    I belive so with red collar but the £25 adapter i bought from apple came faulty so im all emo and am just going to wait for the correct ami cable!!!!!!
    Scotty2011 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    This is very confusing lol! I take it the two leads which come with the car are for old apple devices (pre iPhone lightning connectors)?

6th Gear

Status
    Yep - Normal practice is to give one of those leads out and the USB one. You have to ask for others (and they may say no) but should offer you the choice between the 2 normal ones. I asked for (and got) 5 different MMI leads with mine - both the Apple ones (Don't own any apple devices myself but if some friends want to plug theirs in they can that way), USB, micro USB and 3.5mm jack. Maybe I'll try and get the lightning one as well for use by friends, though I'm not paying for it!
    Redgrouse likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Yep - Normal practice is to give one of those leads out and the USB one. You have to ask for others (and they may say no) but should offer you the choice between the 2 normal ones. I asked for (and got) 5 different MMI leads with mine - both the Apple ones (Don't own any apple devices myself but if some friends want to plug theirs in they can that way), USB, micro USB and 3.5mm jack. Maybe I'll try and get the lightning one as well for use by friends, though I'm not paying for it!
    Ah ok thanks for the reply. I have an iphone 5 so which one should I be asking for?

6th Gear

Status
    Neither of the ones I got - you need one of the lightning connectors! As for which one... god knows!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I picked up my car last week and was asking all the time about the apple connector and they gave me one for the iphone 5s when I picked it up for free, it does show album artwork but doesn't show movies ( the option is not highlighted and can't be selected ) so I went back to them and asked for the part number and apparently it's 4F0051510AD ( same number just AD instead of AC )

Reverse Gear

Status
    Few things worth mentioning. 1- you can't actually connect the phone if you have a cover on it , it just won't sit deep enough to work
    2- from the other end you really have to bend the cable to make it fit so you can close the lid on the storage area.
    Hope that helps

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTS View Post
    I picked up my car last week and was asking all the time about the apple connector and they gave me one for the iphone 5s when I picked it up for free, it does show album artwork but doesn't show movies ( the option is not highlighted and can't be selected ) so I went back to them and asked for the part number and apparently it's 4F0051510AD ( same number just AD instead of AC )
    Is there a specific colour for the iphone 5 and 5s?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'll check and let you know

1st Gear

Status
    I'll check and let you know
    Thank you 😄

3rd Gear

Status
    Buy an android phone - problem solved
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RVP20 View Post
    Is there a specific colour for the iphone 5 and 5s?
    Any ideas please??

5th Gear

Status
    VW's cables have a green collar for the Lightning connector.

Don't know if it will be the same for Audi.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Reverse Gear

Status
    IMG_2592.jpg
    this is the one i have at the moment, shows album artwork but doesn't allow video playback
    mjcourtney likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    FFS

What Cable/Adaptor combo do I need if I want both Album Artwork AND Video Playback?!

How hard can it be ?!

Last edited by veeeight; 20th February 2014 at 18:19.
    VeeDubDan likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

1st Gear

Status
    WTF? Why does the connector on the end of the cable need to be so massive?!
    8V S3; Sportback, S-Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Aluminium Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Supersport Seats, Comfort Pack, Technology Pack High, Bang & Olufsen, Folding, Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Extended Mono.Pur, Parking System Plus, Reversing Camera, Rear Side Airbags, Reversible Boot Mat, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Hold Assist

Reverse Gear

Status
    The size of the connector apparently is something to do with converting a digital signal into analog signal . As far as I'm aware the old 30 pin was digital and analog but the new lighting connector is pure digital.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Anyone know where I can get one of these cables besides an Audi dealer.
    I tried eBay but no luck!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    FFS

What Cable/Adaptor combo do I need if I want both Album Artwork AND Video Playback?!

How hard can it be ?!

Can anyone help with this?

Neutral

Status
    IMG_2592.jpg
    this is the one i have at the moment, shows album artwork but doesn't allow video playback
    Where can I order one? My dealer told me they are unavailable

3rd Gear

Status
    to avoid any hassle do what I did...junk the fashion victim closed door pain the backside looks nice tastes like turd apple iphone and get an android phone (eg Samsung), use an sd card or get a cheapish mp3 player like a sandisk sansa (better sound quality than an iphone anyway)

no probs with any option
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234