So what's the deal with Apple Lightning connectors

That's most likely advertising & not Government or EU imposed, so it's different.

I am sure it is different, but I was responding to your John Lewis / PC World comment which is why I quoted it in my post.

Now, back to the topic in hand: lightning connectors......

There's more to it than that though, including being able to reuse chargers etc - there's a green aspect to it all. For example, if you buy a kindle it doesn't come with a power adapter since it assumes you'll have one. Apple already have to offer the micro USB to lightning adapter in the EU by law. It'll be a good day when they have to fall in line with everyone else. Them being different increases their profits, but only hurts the consumer - nothing else.

But a company is set up to make profits, what's wrong with being good at it? Like I said... nobody is forcing people to buy Apple or Audi & if it wasn't for profits none of us would be enjoying/getting ready to enjoy our new cars, unless that is you've heard of a not for profit car manufacturer anywhere?

I understand the green aspect but that should be a policy decision taken by the company not the state, if people don't support their green credentials they'll make the decision not to use that company.

The Kindle not coming with a charger IMO is a bad thing and will first and foremost be a way for Amazon to... wait for it... INCREASE THEIR PROFITS! How anybody can argue on the side of Amazon when it comes to CSR is beyond me, they've helped put thousands out of business.

You've got to remember also that Apple uses its Lightning technology to effectively market its products, to them and their customers the technology and branding is a USP.

Rather than everybody resting on their laurels knowing that they don't have to invest in new technologies to capture more of the market it promotes a healthy & competitive industry i.e. USB 2.0

I am sure it is different, but I was responding to your John Lewis / PC World comment which is why I quoted it in my post.

Now, back to the topic in hand: lightning connectors......

The difference is that one is forced onto them by the state and another is a commercial decision to increase profits :)

Hi, which is why Apple have lost a customer, and seeing as you raise the subject of internet browsers. Anyone with a single celled brain would know that there has been alternatives for years. By the way, do apple allow their OS officially to be installed on anything other than Apple products. What about Safari bundled with their products, why can't you get any apps for Apple products other than from iTunes?

That's my point, but why should Microsoft HAVE TO tell their customers that there are other browsers from other competitors out there to download?

It's anti-competition law. To stop MS abusing their position in the market. I sort of agree with you, but also see why they should do it. It's about protecting the consumer, not about hurting successful businesses.

How anybody can argue on the side of Amazon when it comes to CSR is beyond me, they've helped put thousands out of business.

So hang on, for Amazon you are against them using their position in the market to increase their profits, but for Apple and MS you think they should be able to?

So hang on, for Amazon you are against them using their position in the market to increase their profits, but for Apple and MS you think they should be able to?

Not at all, I love Amazon. Great service and range of products. I was merely pointing out the fact that they have put thousands out of business.

I'm not in favour of Amazon being held back, because of them I, like many other retailers, have to invest heavily in order to offer a better service which only benefits the customers at the end of the day.

It's anti-competition law. To stop MS abusing their position in the market. I sort of agree with you, but also see why they should do it. It's about protecting the consumer, not about hurting successful businesses.

Then they should apply the same standards to Apple for the same...

Reactions: cemerson
Yep, they should. I heard that there may be something along those lines to do with Safari.

Not at all, I love Amazon. Great service and range of products. I was merely pointing out the fact that they have put thousands out of business.

I'm not in favour of Amazon being held back, because of them I, like many other retailers, have to invest heavily in order to offer a better service which only benefits the customers at the end of the day.

Then you'll probably know that not bundling a charger with the kindle is nothing to do with profit at all, since Amazon make the kindle and sell it pretty much at cost price, or even slightly below, and make they money through both adverts (on the cheaper one) and content that is used on the kindle.

USB aren't analogue, they carry digital signals just like any other cable. Apple have just stubbornly refused to adopt the standard that all of the other major smartphone manufacturers have, and this will also soon be EU legislation EU move to standardise phone chargers is bad news for Apple • The Register and yes, Audi are just as bad as you will find USB sockets in every other car as far as I know.

USB being digital with no DA converter is kinda what I was getting at in my previous post ;) Apple have got away with the USB charger issue by making a small Lightning to Micro USB adaptor.

The Lighting cable is so much more versatile than USB but with so many USB devises in use already it will never be a replacement just an alternative.

What Apple should have done though is supply the Lighting to 30 pin adaptor and the Micro USB adaptor in the box, and they should have been designed to fit on a keyring.

AMI supports other things too, 3.5mm jack for example, and even VGA and RCA adapters, but I take your point ;)

Ok in the armrest, USB socket with all the relevant drivers, 3.5mm jack, and composite video connection. Then that would be it no adaptors or AMI cables needed ;)

Thought I would add my few thoughts on the Audi Lightning Connection.

Yes it is available to order but as others have mentioned it is back order only. When I spoke to our supplier the ETA had a ridiculous year. Something like 2099 ETA which in their experience it won't be around for a while. 6-8months possibly. I have had a massive batch on back order since September if IIRC. If you ask a main dealer at the moment they will probably no nothing about it...

I order parts everyday of the week and always ask. Will give you all a heads-up once I know.

Reactions: 97catalunya
No but the dealer I got my car from thought it would be a couple of weeks till I got mine.

If you use a phone case with your iPhone 5, as I do, that cable looks like it won't fit. It's the same problem people have everywhere with the one piece apple 30pin to lightning adapter, there's not enough "shank" on the lightning end.

Looks like the best solution will continue to be using a red collar cable with the Apple 20cm 30pin to lightning adapter cable.

I'm quite disappointed about this, although the setup I described above works (it's what I use currently) it's hardly the most elegant solution...

If you use a phone case with your iPhone 5, as I do, that cable looks like it won't fit. It's the same problem people have everywhere with the one piece apple 30pin to lightning adapter, there's not enough "shank" on the lightning end.

Looks like the best solution will continue to be using a red collar cable with the Apple 20cm 30pin to lightning adapter cable.

I'm quite disappointed about this, although the setup I described above works (it's what I use currently) it's hardly the most elegant solution...

Yup, that's the problem I have with the convertor, and my particular case is aa ****** to take off each time. I'll be really disappointed if Audi don't put enough shank on their cable and I have to do the same as with the convertor. In fact it would make it pointless.

Sorry guys to hijack this thread but I'm new to audi's but I've just ordered an s3 and in my currant ford I use my normal lightning connector with a nano and my iphone 5 via Bluetooth for calls etc,what's a red collar cable? Does this come with the car?

Sorry guys to hijack this thread but I'm new to audi's but I've just ordered an s3 and in my currant ford I use my normal lightning connector with a nano and my iphone 5 via Bluetooth for calls etc,what's a red collar cable? Does this come with the car?

So the Ford has a USB socket for the lightning cable? Unfortunately the Audi has a proprietary connection that needs a certain cable, which is red-collared for iPhone5. If only it was a simple as using a USB socket this thread wouldn't exist!
I should add that calls are still made with Bluetooth, this is really all about playing media.

Reactions: idmax and Trickz
My dealer is sending me the cable in 2 weeks. Will let you know the deal when it arrives.

So the Ford has a USB socket for the lightning cable? Unfortunately the Audi has a proprietary connection that needs a certain cable, which is red-collared for iPhone5. If only it was a simple as using a USB socket this thread wouldn't exist!
I should add that calls are still made with Bluetooth, this is really all about playing media.

There is a USB socket cable you can use to provide the same functionality

The AMI exists only to provide a single interface for so many different types of connector anyway. I don't think you can blame Audi for its proprietary connection while talking about Apple...

Honestly just typical apple owners to blame anyone but apple themselves. its apple's fault for using a proprietary usb connector/cable to unnecessarily replace something that has worked for years - it offers nothing new and is just another means for apple to overcharge you - £39 for a cable is a joke, Samsung cables are £1. they cost peanuts to make.

Honestly just typical apple owners to blame anyone but apple themselves. its apple's fault for using a proprietary usb connector/cable to unnecessarily replace something that has worked for years - it offers nothing new and is just another means for apple to overcharge you - £39 for a cable is a joke, Samsung cables are £1. they cost peanuts to make.

Typical Apple owners? Is this aimed at me? I'm insulted! It wasn't supposed to be a tirade at Audi, or Apple for that matter. I have devices from multiple vendors and have no particular loyalty. I have also used MMI connectors for years and very happy to continue using them. I was only really commenting on the confusions over cable colour as a clarification for a newbie, nothing more.

This is getting boring!

Reactions: Cruiser89

But yet the majority of the globe choose Apple....................

It was you who blamed Audi for their proprietory connections that brought it all up in the first place!
very true,my ford has sync,it has a usb,you stick whatever usb cable you got with your phone or device and it works,ipod 1st gen,5th gen my wife's galaxy,my works htc it just works!

Just to clarify, I've got an A3 sportback on order and have an iphone 5. What will I need to connect it to the car so it charges and plays my music and shows the graphics etc on the pop up screen ? What's this red collar thing all about ?

Just to clarify, I've got an A3 sportback on order and have an iphone 5. What will I need to connect it to the car so it charges and plays my music and shows the graphics etc on the pop up screen ? What's this red collar thing all about ?

You will need either:

Audi AMI lightning connector. (Newly announced but not formally available yet).

Or

Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter (not an eBay knock-off as they don't do video or audio) and an Audi AMI red collar cable. The collar itself is dark red and has a 30-pin Apple connector on one end and the Audi plug on the other.

If you don't need to charge the phone then can do the rest over Bluetooth.

John.

Reactions: Alfie28
80% android, 13% iOS at the last count. Doesn't look like much of a majority to me...

I was talking about music devices, iPod and the like. That's what I use in my car.
Got any interesting stats on those?

Nope, but what do they give you over using an SD card? Most people seem to be doing that.

Thanks. Where was it announced and do we know when it's likely to be available ?

Nope, but what do they give you over using an SD card? Most people seem to be doing that.
Apple lossless codec, wouldn't be much point in myself having the tech pack with the B&O speakers and then pumping compressed music through it, but each to their own.

Ah, because of course SD cards can't store lossless formats ;)

Reactions: cuke2u
Checked for you; iPod has around 75% market share. Why would I want to use SD when I have a perfectly good iPod that holds all of my music which I also store on iTunes? I also use iTunes to buy my music and movies, so again why use an SD? The iPod works seamlessly with the Audi MMI too. But perhaps you are right and I should use SD...............

Checked for you; iPod has around 75% market share. Why would I want to use SD when I have a perfectly good iPod that holds all of my music which I also store on iTunes? I also use iTunes to buy my music and movies, so again why use an SD? The iPod works seamlessly with the Audi MMI too. But perhaps you are right and I should use SD...............

I'm with you, for all the same reasons. For better of for worse I don't intend to use SD cards at any point.

Because SD is a published standard that the car supports, unlike whatever Apple have decided to change their connector to at last point, that's why...

SD works seamlessly with the MMI too!