Hold Assist

MA3RC

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Could someone explain how this works and whether you feel it's an option worth having?

I'm tempted to add it as it's only a £90 extra but I think to myself it's the same as the electrical handbrake

Any info welcome

Thanks!

Marc

Pretty much everyone who has it on here considers it well worth the upgrade. It's cheap, and means you almost never have to use the handbrake at all, as it will come on automatically when you stop and then turn the ignition off / take off your seatbelt.

Agree with cemerson.

Marc - there are loads of threads on this already; try a search for "hold assist" or "hill hold" (which technically is not the correct description) and you will find it discussed at length.

John.

Yeh, lots of people (wrongly) call it 'hill hold', 'hill hold assist' or 'hha' which are worth searching on as well.

Could someone explain how this works and whether you feel it's an option worth having?

I'm tempted to add it as it's only a £90 extra but I think to myself it's the same as the electrical handbrake

Any info welcome

Thanks!

Marc

I didn't have it but my salesman was quite new to audi and also couldn't see the point. then he tried a car with it and he thought it was a useful addition. I added it as it wasn't much, so ik blindly added. I know it dangerous just adding it on the say so of a salesman but what the hell. I think it kinda works like the old handbrake but electric rather than mechanical

I didn't have it but my salesman was quite new to audi and also couldn't see the point. then he tried a car with it and he thought it was a useful addition. I added it as it wasn't much, so ik blindly added. I know it dangerous just adding it on the say so of a salesman but what the hell. I think it kinda works like the old handbrake but electric rather than mechanical

I think you're getting confused between the handbrake itself and the hold assist - all the handbrakes are electric, that's standard kit.

I wouldn't be without one. It should be a standard fitment IMHO . In traffic click it on and it works like a handbrake . Function stays on until you turn it off! Brilliant.

Does it turn off when you switch off the engine because on my present car it is on all of the time....

It saves the state you put it in. I've never turned mine off though.

Reactions: cuke2u
I wish I had added this on to my car back then, so don't think about it Marc.

I wouldn't be without one. It should be a standard fitment IMHO . In traffic click it on and it works like a handbrake . Function stays on until you turn it off! Brilliant.

It's better than that, once set you never have to bother with the handbrake ever again.......best VFM option ever

My last car had it and I very rarely used it. I found it to be a little on the sticky side for my liking, which meant that when you touched the accelerator to pull away it didn't give the smoothest release in the world. That was a 2009 A5 3.0 Tdi with a conventional tiptronic box. Initially, I didn't spec it on my S3 order but have subsequently added it. I figured that I'd rather waste £90 and never use it than regret not getting it later.

I have it on my Q3 and ordered it on the S3 because it can come in handy. The only issue I have on the Q3 is that it affects the Start/Stop function, if you take your foot off the brake pedal it disables the start/stop.

Does anyone with an A3 or S3 in Australia have this option fitted? Is it standard? I had a look at the spec sheets for both and the don't mention it in the standard or optional features.

Thanks for all the input everyone :) it's been added to my order

I have it on my Q3 and ordered it on the S3 because it can come in handy. The only issue I have on the Q3 is that it affects the Start/Stop function, if you take your foot off the brake pedal it disables the start/stop.

stop / start is the worst invention ever and will the first i do to my car - switch it off

actually i'm still mystified how this saves fuel as starting a car is when you surely use most fuel, plus it must knacker the starter motor etc a lot more quickly. happy to be proved wrong providing you don't quote manufacturers who I don't believe.

The cars battery and starter motor are updated to cope with the start stop stuff though. When the engine is warm (ie warm enough to do stop start) the amount of extra fuel required to do a start is minuscule. It's call startup enrichment and yes when cold (combined with warm up enrichment) it's a lot but when warm there is no warm up enrichment and startup enrichment is for a very short period and is very little.

After having had start stop on our MINI for nearly 3 years I now sit in our mk5 gti when at lights or in heavy traffic thinking "this is such a waste" when it just sits there idling.

Yes the start/stop system is different from a conventional car and there are various sensors that read things like ambient temp, cabin temp, engine temp and battery voltage. It is described more fully here Start-stop system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cars that have the system also tend to have electric water pumps and water cooled turbos to prevent mechanical damage that could be caused by the engine turning off immediately after a fast run...

Do people bother with hold assist with the manual gearbox?

Do people bother with hold assist with the manual gearbox?

I have it on my manual s3 and it's fantastic, if you press very slightly on the brakes then it doesn't turn the handbrake on but a harder press and it's on. I personally couldn't live without it.

In fact, it's even more useful on the manual cause you roll backwards as you're pressing in the clutch at a full stop. On an auto box when you release the brakes you will never move backwards as you'll be in first gear and the engine will pull you forwards and prevent the car from moving backwards when you move off.

Reactions: lotus
Of course! Why on earth wouldn't you?

It's called driving, stop on a hill and hold by balancing the clutch, stop on a hill and hold with the foot brake, stop on a hill and hold with the hand brake (and being electric you don't even need to release it) all very easy.

Thanks Battlekrapz for the mini review, makes sense.

Reactions: Battlekrapz
Great if you want to pay for a new clutch regularly!

Why don't these things apply with an automatic? It's called a convenience feature, it avoids you having to do those things. Just like with an automatic.

I assume you haven't bothered speccing it then, sounds like you are one of those who moan about technology somehow taking people's ability to drive away?

Never had to replace a clutch in any car i've owned. That said after Battlekrapz's helpful post I can see why people would like this feature, as for you, well there's one on every forum.

lol, ok. Like the one who can't see why anyone with a manual gearbox would want hold assist? Well, there are plenty of us using it and quite happy with it, thank you very much :)

lol, ok. Like the one who can't see why anyone with a manual gearbox would want hold assist? Well, there are plenty of us using it and quite happy with it, thank you very much :)

It's a forum, I asked a question, I got a very decent answer from Battlekrapz, then i stated that I can see why people would like the option. I never said "I can't see why anyone with a manual gearbox would want hold assist?" those are your words. Jog on :)

Ha ha Hold Assist always causes such controversy!

I have it and I love it, such a small price for such a helpful piece of kit. They should make it standard really, you would spend £90 on a night out!

As I always say "don't like it turn it off" but you won't ;)

Reactions: Daveotto
It's a forum, I asked a question, I got a very decent answer from Battlekrapz, then i stated that I can see why people would like the option. I never said "I can't see why anyone with a manual gearbox would want hold assist?" those are your words. Jog on :)

Not in those words no, but you pretty much implied it :)

I'm confused as to why you thought people with a manual wouldn't want it, that's all.

Ha ha Hold Assist always causes such controversy!

I have it and I love it, such a small price for such a helpful piece of kit. They should make it standard really, you would spend £90 on a night out!

As I always say "don't like it turn it off" but you won't ;)

Well said, but £90 on a night out....you cheap skate ;)

Reactions: lotus and 97catalunya
Not in those words no, but you pretty much implied it :)

I'm confused as to why you thought people with a manual wouldn't want it, that's all.

No anything you think was implied is in your head, you jumped in, feel feel to jump out.