Creaks/Rattles

smk82

Reaction score
Even whilst a car is under warranty is there a maximum distance over which Audi won't investigate these? Or is it anytime whilst under warranty? My car has just broken the 2000 mile barrier, but have noticed a couple of niggling creaks/rattles.1. I noticed a creak/crackling noise coming from the sunroof area. More noticeable at night, but it was there during the drive to work this morning. Its not loud, but it is there. At first I thought it was only whilst the car was under load, but I wasn't flooring it this morning and still present. Intermittent too. 2. Distinct creak/rattle from the dash next to the steering column this morning. Only present for part of the journey, but fairly consistent, then stopped after a while. Either of these sound familiar to people? Planning to get these investigated shortly...

I think it depends on the level of creak/rattle but would not expect them to argue unless there is visible damage to the plastics or surround indicating that it had been bashed.

I also have a creak from somewhere between the ignition, drivers air vent and the fuse box to the right of the steering wheel. Not yet traced it but it isn't significant so would only mention it to dealer if it got worse or car was in for another reason. (And no it is not from my keys or the air vent).

If yours is from the roof then probably more important to monitor closely. Assume you have tried open/close to see if it was something just not sitting true.

John.

I did notice (or thought I did) the drivers side rear of the panoramic roof appearing not to sit flush with the bodywork when I came back to the car a couple of nights ago. It didn't appear much (few mm), but not as flush as I would have thought. When I went back to the car the next day in the daylight, it didn't appear like this, but I'd ran my finger over it the night before and could definitely feel something. Could it be flexing with temperature changes? (Wouldn't expect it to be considering its only 4-5C each and I know that won't make a massive difference to the materials involved.)Will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and see if I can pin it down..

We have had issues on a pan roof on current 8P since it was 6 months old and had a minor paint repair. Car baked in oven and roof rattled for 20 + months until finally a new roof bonded in. Hopefully the new S 3 will be better but should we be worrying??

My old 8P pano roof had a bad rattle from the day I picked it up from the dealers, took it back after 3 days and it turned out there was a missing clip inside the roof lining, missed by Audi during build...

I have had an intermittent creak from the front of the panoramic sunroof, seems to be around the front edge close to interior light panel and roof switch. Also have a small plasticky rattle from the drivers seatbelt height adjuster.

My car had its first service last week (19000 miles and only 8 months old).

Both creaks were investigated during the service. Not sure what Audi did but sunroof creak now stopped but seat belt creak still there occasionally.

If its roof related definitely go to dealer as you won't want to risk that turning into a leak when there is snow slowly melting on it.

To follow up on post #2, have now tracked my creak (more of a squeak really) to the plastic panel below the headlight switch - the one with the knee airbag behind it.......

John.

I have a similar rattle there. Trouble is its only intermittent. It was going fairly loudly on the way to work last week for 20mins then stopped. The sunroof creak is quite subtle, but now I'm aware of it I can hear it over quiet music!. Both as mentioned post 1. Anyway car is booked in for 19th/20th December for them to take a look. With my luck when I take the techie out to let him "hear them" you can bet they won't be loud/be there! Wonder what I'll end up with for a courtesy car.. hopefully something tasty, but they never give out the nice toys...

Except the sunroof,did you hear creaks coming from mmi screen?

Unfortunately door seal creak is a symptom of modern car body design and many cars suffer from it. Usually it is cured by an light application of some silicon grease...

Well good news (potentially). Dropped the car in today to get the rattles looked at. It appears that they seem to have identified both and are able to fix them! The sunroof may be due to a lack of lubrication (they are testing it overnight), and the dash rattle can be fixed with felt tape inserts. so hopefully after this a rattle free drive! (well till next time;).

Only downside is that I got the use of a 1.2TFSI A3 for the courtesy car. Nippy in parts, but feels quite underpowered compared to mine..

How and where were the tape inserts used for the knee area rattle ?