Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree537Likes

Thread: Feedback from those with S3s now

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulboy View Post
    Does that mean the manual is faster than DSG on a 0-62 run, if the DSG isn't using launch control?
    Well that's a bit of a revelation isn't it!

I assumed the official 0-62 times for DSG were in the fastest mode - but not using launch control.
    I am really surprised the DSG is slower than a manual if LC is not engaged.
    2014 S3 / 3 door / Manual
    Estoril Blue / Silver interior

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Launching a car from 4000rpm, means the turbo is at full boost, at 1500rpm, zero boost.

So in this instance, you are trying to compare the acceleration of one car with full turbo boost, and the other with zero boost.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Reverse Gear

Status
    Which is the situation, when:
    1., you don't have the time to switch to LC mode
    2., your LC is defeated after 200 launches
    The first one does not bother me, street racing is not my thing. The second does. If it's true, but I've seen no confirmation.

Neutral

Status
    200 is a lot of launches though, I did about 5 in my TT before the novelty wore off.
    Saying that, I'd like to see it confirmed if it's true about the limit.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Agree 200 is a hell of a lot of launches. I've had a GTR for almost 5 years and never bothered launching it. Having said that, it was frighteningly fast off the mark just planting foot to the floor, so never really felt the need. The s3 feels a lot more sedate off the line without launch, so I'll absolutely be giving it a go once it's got a few more miles on it. I can see a limit would be irritating if you were into dragging it, but then you'd probably be tuning it anyway, so would be looking for a workaround for the 200 limit.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Ashmcblue's Instagram Channel
    I've done quite a few launches. One was on long straight NSL. No traffic in front or behind. Good fun.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Autocar compared a Mk 5 Golf R DSG v manual 0-60mph times in this video. No launch control back then on the Mk 5 Golf R DSG. DSG much faster (6/10 sec to 60) every time, and much more consistent (same time on each of 3 runs). I am sure the same would hold true for the S3.

VW Golf R - DSG v manual video | Autocar

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by barwon View Post
    Autocar compared a Mk 5 Golf R DSG v manual 0-60mph times in this video. No launch control back then on the Mk 5 Golf R DSG. DSG much faster (6/10 sec to 60) every time, and much more consistent (same time on each of 3 runs). I am sure the same would hold true for the S3.

VW Golf R - DSG v manual video | Autocar
    First of all, this is Mk6. And of course he was using LC. ESP off, DSG in S, left foot on brakes, right foot on the throttle and as you see in the video, from 3200 rpm it just takes off.

But: you don't have to take my word. Use a Racelogic or similar device like I did, and test it.

3rd Gear

Status
    I posted the EVO magazine November 13 group test results a few months ago on S3 thread....see below.

S3 manual SB
    0-30 in 1.8 seconds
    0-60 in 5.4 seconds
    0-100 in 12.5 seconds
    1/4 mile in 13.7 seconds

Merc A45 AMG
    0-30 in 1.7 seconds
    0-60 in 4.3 seconds
    0-100 in 10.6 seconds
    1/4 mile in 12.8 seconds.

Golf GTI performance pack DSG
    0-30 in 2.8 seconds
    0-60 in 6.2 seconds
    0-100 in 14.7 seconds
    1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds.

I would have thought the S3 s-tronic would be just slightly faster with out LC from the times above. Ive seen videos where a car with s-tronic / DSG "leaps" forward when the manual car changes gear where it has no loss in forward momentum during shifts.

In the same conditions I think it would be safe to assume a S3 shifting in to second and then in to third would pull an advantage and a (slightly) faster 0-60 time.

Conditions and driver has something to do with it too I'm sure. My phone app said my S3 does 60 in 5.37 according to drag timer app on my Samsung S4. That was done on a hot day too so happy with that.
    Last edited by Pulp84; 14th June 2014 at 07:22.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok, it's a Merc. But that's what I'm talking about:

Old Lady vs Pro Racing driver Bernd Schneider in Mercedes A45 AMGs

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebajfobias View Post
    Ok, it's a Merc. But that's what I'm talking about:

Old Lady vs Pro Racing driver Bernd Schneider in Mercedes A45 AMGs
    Yep LC is always quicker. Think that has been established many times before.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Built week 17. Arrived 17/05/14. Wow......just wow

3rd Gear

Status
    Good video this. Shows the difference in 0-60 times using S3 saloon with and without LC. Timed with race logic box.

Without LC think the S-Tronic version would be on par with a manual S3. Maybe slightly quicker but 0.2 of a second is not much. Certainly would be a sub 5.5 seconds for both in the dry and driven consistently well I feel.

Audi S3 Limousine 2.0 TFSI 300 hp - acceleration 0-100 km/h - YouTube
    Last edited by Pulp84; 15th June 2014 at 22:23.
    Joetidman likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    5.2 without LC is pretty good actually, but faster than manual I assume as up shift to 2nd gear is quicker than most drivers can manage in a manual
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    5.2 without LC is pretty good actually, but faster than manual I assume as up shift to 2nd gear is quicker than most drivers can manage in a manual
    That is super quick really and not far off the official time with LC. Happy with that.

Neutral

Status
    The difference is all in the 0-50 time. What is LC actually doing to the car during the first second of acceleration?

Delivered 24th April 2014: S3 Sportback S-Tronic, Amalfi White

Neutral

Status
    Accelerating from standstill with full boost I presume, so leaving line with more power.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickydicky2 View Post
    The difference is all in the 0-50 time. What is LC actually doing to the car during the first second of acceleration?
    Effectively gunning the engine up to 4k rpm with full boost and dumping the clutch. Unsurprisingly this is faster than going from idle revs.
    veeeight likes this.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

Neutral

Status
    Hmm that EVO test... Without testing the S3 hatch with s-tronic and launch control that test was never going to be fair. You have two automatic cars with duel clutch systems against the manual. Almost a "what were they thinking" moment.

That YouTube video is awesome! I'm gonna have to test that out now.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Good video. One notice, I think it was measured with 1 ft rollout, as on a dragstrip vs. what Audi claims without rollout.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydougle View Post
    Hmm that EVO test... Without testing the S3 hatch with s-tronic and launch control that test was never going to be fair. You have two automatic cars with duel clutch systems against the manual. Almost a "what were they thinking" moment.

Yes its not great they didn't test an s-tronic as well but its a good performance none the less.

I personally think from the video and the EVO times it shows which ever gearbox you go for the S3 is super quick.

A friend of mine thought the manual version would be much slower over a sprint up to 100 mph odd but from EVO figures it's just as quick.

mls
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmydougle View Post

Do you have a link to that video? Only evo vid I can find is vs the m135i?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Flibble View Post
    Effectively gunning the engine up to 4k rpm with full boost and dumping the clutch. Unsurprisingly this is faster than going from idle revs.
    Thanks, interesting. Wondered if it also amended traction control, quattro, suspension, but seems it's a straightforward max power approach

Here's another review link in case not already posted

Comparative Road Test: Audi S3 vs Subaru WRX: Comparative Road Test: Audi S3 vs Subaru WRX - YouTube

Delivered 24th April 2014: S3 Sportback S-Tronic, Amalfi White

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mls View Post
    Do you have a link to that video? Only evo vid I can find is vs the m135i?
    It wasnt a video. It was a magazine test. Dec 13 edition with GTI vs S3 vs Focus ST v Merc A45 AMG vs Megane RS.

mls
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp84 View Post
    It wasnt a video. It was a magazine test. Dec 13 edition with GTI vs S3 vs Focus ST v Merc A45 AMG vs Megane RS.
    Ah ok thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickydicky2 View Post
    Thanks, interesting. Wondered if it also amended traction control, quattro, suspension, but seems it's a straightforward max power approach
    You have to have the ESP in sport mode (or off) for LC to work, so effectively the traction control is amended. No idea if it pre-locks the haldex for extra traction, it's possible.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    The specific thread is about feedback from those who have S3's.

Craigl has a S3, which is he immensely disappointed with.

He mentioned he is seriously thinking of changing to a RS6, with air suspension.

Where you promptly jumped in and decried that it didn't and had mag-ride, in a rather condescending manner.

I'm sorry I've had to spell it out for you, but perhaps you should read more carefully before jumping in with both feet rather arrogantly, as you have appeared to do in quite a few recent posts.
    I'm far from sorry I've had to spell it out for you, but perhaps you should read more carefully before jumping in with both feet rather arrogantly. The post I read made no reference to an RS6 and as stated, the thread is about the S3. At least you have got that right! I was reading from the top of the page, so haven't seen any of the preceding comments. Life's too short to wade through 18 pages of posts on a Smart Phone while your wife is getting you an ice cream So, wind your neck in pal, there's no need to step in and fight other peoples battles and make condescending remarks to others. The chap who retorted to my comments seemed to take it all in good humour. It's just Forum after all
    Last edited by SilureMark; 18th June 2014 at 22:46.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

5th Gear

Status
    Oh dear ........

There's another one then.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

2nd Gear

Status
    PA

5th Gear

Status
    Haha yes, my first thought !

Seen it all before.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Well someone reversed into my passenger side door in the morrisons car park. That's more general feedback on life.

I will start a new topic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403216130.586417.jpg

Neutral

Status
    Jesus, they've fairly done the business there.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Martinbanshee View Post
    Jesus, they've fairly done the business there.
    Yes they certainly have. Oh well I'm insured and it's on CCTV. Life goes on.

4th Gear

Status
    That's awful mate, I gasped when I saw it. Hope you get it all fixed soon
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

3rd Gear

Status
    Just seeing that picture has put me off my breakfast.

Status
    Ouch, that's not pretty. Good luck getting it sorted.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It will get sorted.

Neutral

Status
    Ouch! I hope you find who did it. Shame not everyone has the common decency to leave their information after doing such things. Was Morrisons happy to oblige providing the footage from CCTV? I've heard that can be a pain in the arse.
    Brilliant Red 2014 Audi S3 SB - S-tronic | Comfort pack | Tech pack with connect | B&O | Interior Lighting Pack | Lunar Silver leather | 3D Black Inlays | Aluminium Roof Rails | Anthracite 5 Twin Spoke Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Had the same thing happen to me with my TTS in a Tesco car park. Really feel for you. I'd only had the car 3 weeks as well. Makes my stomach turn to see that. Hope you get it sorted quickly. Might be worth checking CCTV with the store? I managed track down the car that hit mine and the Police took it form there... I did eventually recover my excess from the arsehole who did it and drove off. Was a transit van owned by a self employed builder. £7000 damage he did...
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

4th Gear

Status
    Ouch, that must have been gut wrenching when you saw it. You would have thought some one witnessed it.

Hope it all gets sorted for you, did you get the cctv footage?
    Steeve

1st Gear

Status
    There are definitely scums out there! And definitely people behind the wheels that shouldn't be.

So little respect for other people's property.

I would be devistated if I returned to my car and someone had done that to it.

Hope you're able to track the culprit down, and that your car is repaired to the same standard as when it left the factory.
    On order S3 Sedan - S-Tronic, Sepang Blue, Performance Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Folding mirrors, Privacy glass and Tinted windows.