Insurance Groups

Diamond White

Reaction score
It seems the A3 is lumbered with a much higher insurance grouping, than the equivalent VW Golf or 1 series BMW.
Comparing the 1.4 140PS A3 with the equivalent Golf, which I'm led to believe, are virtually identical, the Audi is group 21, the Golf Group 17.

What gives???

I also believe that the golf gets some insurance group reliefs as some models have pre sense front included as standard (ie radar based emergency brake) which can help prevent a shunt.

This is an option on the a3 and not standard like on some golf models.

Hi, I've done a quote for my saloon and it came out at £190, exactly the same as my Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium X...

The insurance grouping is pretty much irrelevant these days and only acts as an indication of potential insurance costs.

Insurance costing systems/databases are pretty smart these days and will adjust for safety and security options selected, your location, age, gender etc etc on a case by case basis

If you use the comparison sites properly and shop around there will ultimately be very little difference in similar cars for a given person irrespective of insurance group quoted so would not expect the difference in insurance for an A Class merc, I series BMW or A3 to be more than a few pounds and certainly is not a deal breaker these days. Where as in the dim and distant past a differene in one or two insurance groups (when we had 9 insurance bands) could make a huge difference in insurance costs.

Reactions: cuke2u
As well, insurance companies adjust prices depending on their customer index. If they want more 22 year olds from a certain area of the country they lower the price.

yep, and conversely if they want less 22 year olds in a certain area the premium goes up to discourage you from taking out a poilicy with them, its all part of the insurance companies overall risk management strategy to have a balanced porfolio of risks based on their risk strategy

I'm not complaining about my insurance. It wasn't bad for my TT before (~£400), but has now dropped to about £260 with the A3 which whilst I grant you is a lower insurance group, is also slightly more powerful and newer.. go figure..

yes, know what you mean, my A3 insurance came in at around £230 - £240 which was lower than my old A3 and like you the new one is more powerful, 150BHP v 122BHP

My COD has come in at £299 with all the trimmings (legal cover etc), and my old insurance policy was nearly £400 for a 2008 1.9 TDI Seat Ibiza. :-\

My s3 has come in at £274 which I was chuffed about, especially as my civic type r was over £500. They blamed that on my "high risk" area which is in the middle of nowhere. Buy a car worth two and a have times more expensive and 50% more power and the cost halves. No idea why lol, not that I'm complaining. ;)

Must be that us Audi drivers are regarded as sensible and not boy racer types:whistle2: