Volks AutosChris Nott
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cemerson
  • 1 Post By snowfree52
  • 1 Post By paullowther

Thread: Planned spec for 1.8 Quattro TFSI- thoughts?

Neutral

Status

Planned spec for 1.8 Quattro TFSI- thoughts?

Hi All,

This is the (nearly final) spec of the 1.8 I'll be ordering this weekend. Please take a look and see if there's anything I'm missing/don't need. Thanks in advance!
    P.S One question for the typre pressure monitor- does it tell you the PSI or does it only come on when there's a puncture detected? Reason I'm asking this is trying to find a way to check tyre pressure on collection
    It's a five door, by the way

S line 1.8 TFSI quattro S tronic 180 PS
    Glacier White, metallic
    Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
    Perforated Alcantara/leather with S line embossing
    Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights
    Audi Parking System Plus
    Audi Sound System
    Comfort package
    Door mirrors – auto-dimming on the driver's side, electrically adjustable, folding and heated
    Electric lumbar support
    Hold assist
    Interior lighting package
    Panoramic glass sunroof
    Progressive steering
    Technology package
    Tyre pressure loss indicator
    Last edited by Ryanytchan; 13th November 2013 at 13:52.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Personally, I'd add the adaptive cruise - apparently works really well. Also, I assume you are going for the 5 door sportback - the electric seats can't be fitted to the standard 3 door. Pressure monitor just detects deflation. No sensor actually telling you tyre pressure.

Don't need? That's personal. I don't think you need to spend £30k+ on a car, but that's not the point....

Neutral

Status
    How much would the adaptive cruise set me back by? The options are expensive enough already haha

5th Gear

Status
    Personally I'd ditch the electric seats as (as far as I know) they don't have memory and the reversing camera (as you've got parking plus which has visual rep on the screen anyway) and spend the money on getting the tech pack without connect as the screen res is much nicer, it does far better maps too, plus can play DVDs. If that doesn't float your boat then upgrade to B&O as it's just EPIC.

Adaptive cruise will be £350 extra as you've got the comfort pack added already.

If a sportback, considered Roof Rails at all? Also, what about privacy glass - looks great on Glacier.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    Personally I'd ditch the electric seats as (as far as I know) they don't have memory and the reversing camera (as you've got parking plus which has visual rep on the screen anyway) and spend the money on getting the tech pack without connect as the screen res is much nicer, it does far better maps too, plus can play DVDs. If that doesn't float your boat then upgrade to B&O as it's just EPIC.

Adaptive cruise will be £350 extra as you've got the comfort pack added already.

If a sportback, considered Roof Rails at all? Also, what about privacy glass - looks great on Glacier.
    I don't think memory would be an issue as I'll be the main drive-or are you talking about something else? The main reason I added it was for resale value as a lot of people seem to have it specced.
    Is the park plus detection good enough?
    I won't be mounting anything on top and my passengers would most likely to have a clear view, so no for both of the last options. Thanks though!

5th Gear

Status
    Personally I think you'd get more value out resale inc the tech pack rather than the electric seats. Remember any standard car can be upgraded to have SD satnav just by buying the card - you can't retrofit the tech pack with the nicer screen, hard-drive for music etc etc, it really is much better. The only reason I'd ever look for electric seats in a car is for the memory function so when my wife drives she can have her own setting and then so can I. If it doesn't have this then i'd not be fussed.

Park Plus is great - obviously it doesn't show you a video but the screen does show a birds-eye view of the car and the sensors front and rear together with arced lines showing the swing of the car based upon the current steering lock. It's very nice. I've had cameras on cars before and I have found them a bit of a gimmick personally.

Fair enough on the last two - all down to personal preference
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

Neutral

Status
    That makes sense, I've included the tech pack now and removed the camera. I don't think Ill go for ACC- normal CC is good enough for me and I prefer to have more control over the car anyway, else it'd be too 'automatic' for my liking.
    I see that you've got build week 7, when did you place your order and when do you think I'll have mine delivered? I was quoted a late march delivery last week I headed down to the dealership.

1st Gear

Status
    I ordered two weeks ago tomorrow. Confirmed build week 4 and delivery for March 1st handover. (SB TDI 184 S line Quattro S tronic)

6th Gear

Status
    ACC is brilliant for me, completely removes the frustration of trying to use normal CC on a busy road and constantly enabling/disabling it.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    ACC is brilliant for me, completely removes the frustration of trying to use normal CC on a busy road and constantly enabling/disabling it.
    ah so you guys are using it in heavy congestion situations? I was just thinking of long distance motorway driving. Might be worth getting it then if you can use it at low speeds?

5th Gear

Status
    Acc with stronic works right down to zero mph, even working in stop-start traffic. It's incredible.

I need to to update my sig, my build week has been pulled forward to wk51 (16th dec). I ordered my car on 7th oct.

5th Gear

Status
    Acc option also includes the emergency brake function too - think of it like a second pair of eyes ready to do an emergency stop for you when you are daydreaming... Could save you from having a shunt.

2nd Gear

Status
    Watch this: Audi A7 - Adaptive Cruise Control in Heavy Traffic - YouTube and tell me ACC isn't worth it.....

2nd Gear

Status
    PS. with the s-tronic, I think it is a no brainer.....

Neutral

Status
    Added to spec!

6th Gear

Status
    Even on a busy motorway normal CC can be frustrating, ACC helps there too - but yes, ACC in my manual works down to about 10mph and I use it all the time in 30s and 40s for example. Probably even better in the s-tronic.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    If you are a music fan, I would certainly recommend the B&O sound system. I skimped and ordered the Audi sound system as I just didn't think the price difference could be justified. Well, I was finally able to do a comparison between the two systems last night, and while the Audi system is good, the B&O is just amazing. I am really regretting not speccing it now (the good news and bad news is that it's too close to build date to change now). I keep telling myself that the Audi system will be sufficient and that the normal driving noises will eliminate the difference between the two systems under normal use. But that doesn't change the fact that if I could do it again or it wasn't too late to change, I would definitely include the B&O in my order...

GS

6th Gear

Status
    Audi Sound System is great for me - set up the equalizers in a good place and it sounds fantastic
    Daveotto likes this.

Full LED baby !

Status
    would ditch the adaptative steering personally !
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    would ditch the adaptative steering personally !
    Is that from a "I've driven it and it's crud" perspective or "the normal steering is just fine" perspective?

I ask as I spec'd it on mine - not having driven it but assumed it would be better than normal as the S3 has it as standard....

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Audi Sound System is great for me - set up the equalizers in a good place and it sounds fantastic
    I am with you on this one........I think the Audi sound system is more than adequate for your average music lover.....putting this into context I would not spend more than ca £600 - £700 on a home music set up so why spend more for the system in your car. On the other hand if you have £1000+ worth of kit at home you might want to go for the B&O
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
    Is that from a "I've driven it and it's crud" perspective or "the normal steering is just fine" perspective?

I ask as I spec'd it on mine - not having driven it but assumed it would be better than normal as the S3 has it as standard....
    I haven't driven it to be honest but everywhere I read about it in magazines that HAVE tested it they all say they don't like it. Then I couldn't find an A3 with this option at a dealer to try it. Therefore I didn't take it

Plus, the normal steering is just fine. With the paddles and flat bottomed steering wheel, perfect !

Take that from a guy who has a lotus Elise
    arad85 likes this.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks

5th Gear

Status
    I have only driven the new s3 (which does have progressive steering) and I didn't find it a problem at all. Can't say I really thought about the steering though, it just worked!

I used to have an elise s1 and exige S S2 too as a comparison.

2nd Gear

Status
    Personally I'd sacrifice a few options and get an S3!
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    Personally I'd sacrifice a few options and get an S3!
    I know, insurance cost is holding me back so I can't get any higher powered cars like the m135i

5th Gear

Status
    Have you checked the insurance - a serious question as I have found the new s3 to be very reasonable. It will be cheaper to insure than our mk5 golf gti, our 3.0 z4 too. Its only 60 more a year for me than my old MINI clubman cooper d.

the m135i insurance cost for us was over 100 quid more.

4th Gear

Status
    I'm 23 with 5 years no claims. Since I started driving basically. My insurance is about 1k p/a for a £37,000 S3 which I didn't think was too bad. Especially since I used to pay £1600 a year for a 1.2 clio that cost me 4k! (My first car)

If you're buying on finance you'll probably find that the monthly payments on the S3 are considerably cheaper. Only worthwhile though if you don't want to own 100% of the car by the end!
    c.grex likes this.
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

5th Gear

Status
    Well said, residuals are key in getting the payments where you want them. I've heard that as the s3 is such a safe car it gets insurance discounts

1st Gear

Status
    As Paul says, I'd get insurance and finance prices for a S3, It's costing me very little more than a standard A4 Tdi per month. Only if you are using the PCP route to buy your car.

And I have had and sold a lot of cars and the fact is no matter what people think about adding options to a car will do to the resale value, they will lose more than your car will. So don't ever add a option thinking it will make the car worth more when you come to sell it, just add them cos you want them.
    2014 S3 Sportback 2.0 S tronic - Amalfi White, Alcantara, Alu roof rails, Audi sound, Comfort, Cruise, Folding mirrors, Hold assist, 3yr Service, LED Light Package, SD Sat Nav, Reversible Boot Mat.

2nd Gear

Status
    The M135i is a totally different car though with it been a high powered rwd car. A lot of insurers require you to have a years experience of driving it before they will even consider you for cover. If the insurance quote you get fits I would deffo drop the 1.8 and go with the S3 even if you have to lose £3k's worth of options.
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Neutral

Status
    I'll pay for the car upfront and will probably hold on to it for at least three years.. Does this render the S3 unfeasible?

Neutral

Status
    If I ordered a S3 instead and for the price to come to where the A3 is now the spec would be as follows:

S3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic 300 PS
    Glacier White, metallic
    Alcantara/leather with S3 embossing on the front seats
    Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
    Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights
    Audi Parking System Plus
    Audi sound system
    Comfort package
    Door mirrors – auto-dimming on the driver's side, electrically adjustable, folding and heated
    Electric lumbar support
    Hold assist
    Inlays in 3D design ‘black’
    Interior lighting package
    Tyre pressure loss indicator

4th Gear

Status
    Good spec, if I may just add my 2p's worth however. Drop ACC, or something of equivalent value and opt for the b&o. It's the one option that almost everybody on this forum agrees is the A3/S3's party piece! Unless of course you don't enjoy music... In which case ignore me!
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Good spec, if I may just add my 2p's worth however. Drop ACC, or something of equivalent value and opt for the b&o. It's the one option that almost everybody on this forum agrees is the A3/S3's party piece! Unless of course you don't enjoy music... In which case ignore me!
    or my 2p's worth- stick to Audi sound system it's very good, and i felt the B&O only really beat it at really high volumes, at lower volumes I thought it was only slightly better and not worth the extra for me.
    2014 S3 Sportback 2.0 S tronic - Amalfi White, Alcantara, Alu roof rails, Audi sound, Comfort, Cruise, Folding mirrors, Hold assist, 3yr Service, LED Light Package, SD Sat Nav, Reversible Boot Mat.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanytchan View Post
    I'll pay for the car upfront and will probably hold on to it for at least three years.. Does this render the S3 unfeasible?
    That depends how much money you have to spend.
    I'd say a 3 year old S3 will always sell better second hand than a 1.8TFSI

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    The ACC is considered by pretty much everyone who has it to be the party piece I think! I certainly do