Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How good is the sat nav?

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Sat Navs tend to add ~£300 to sale value on average
    Agree the base SD Nav can be got for an after discount £4-450.. so 300 on sale value equates to about £50 a year cost... Why bother with rubber suckers wires and chargers and all that faff!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    And now I've got around to exploring it a bit more, Connect does indeed give you google search functionality in the nav, so you can search for places online and navigate to them - which is the thing I was missing most from the google sat nav on Android; just being able to type anything and have it know what you mean!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Agree the base SD Nav can be got for an after discount £4-450.. so 300 on sale value equates to about £50 a year cost... Why bother with rubber suckers wires and chargers and all that faff!!
    Especially as you get the integration in the instrument cluster too.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Banned

Status
    That's it . Tom Tom et al produce a good product but what a bloody faff. Integrated is best.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    There's plenty of videos on YouTube of the nav .
    Thanks for that really rather helpful advice
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    Thanks for that really rather helpful advice
    haha ok then stick to your really informative photo that will help make up your mind.
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    haha ok then stick to your really informative photo that will help make up your mind.
    You obviously know a good youtube video hence our suggestion for me to go and view you tube. And thats where your helpfullness ended, or rather didnt begin. Its ok I know how to use the internet, I figured it out all for myself, again thanks for your really useful input.
    Last edited by Cumbrian_bob; 22nd November 2013 at 21:28.
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

2nd Gear

Status
    Jesus is it that hard to go on YouTube and type in Audi 8v sd nav.

Did you really require a link for me to be helpful?

Nice edit aswell btw
    Last edited by RobH_S3; 22nd November 2013 at 21:41.

Personally there is one reason why the TomTom or similar is better than the built in Sat Nav. The built-in one does not allow you to download and install your own POIs whether they are locations of interest or speed cameras. My own TomTom is used far more to warn me of speed camera locations that navigating from A to B.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Jesus is it that hard to go on YouTube and type in Audi 8v sd nav.

Did you really require a link for me to be helpful?
    Just ignore me, its been one of those weeks. Probably shoulnt go on a forum when I have a bit of a cob on.
    Apologiese for my retort, p.s. becuase he internet loses things in type, that is actually meant.

Satnav looks tempting, just need to convince myself its not to costly and hope it keeps some value

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok mate no worries we all have them .
    Cumbrian_bob likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Personally there is one reason why the TomTom or similar is better than the built in Sat Nav. The built-in one does not allow you to download and install your own POIs whether they are locations of interest or speed cameras. My own TomTom is used far more to warn me of speed camera locations that navigating from A to B.
    Yes it does? With connect it does anyway...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    As a law-abiding citizen surely you don't care about speed camera locations.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Yes it does? With connect it does anyway...
    But that would mean adding an extra £1615 (£1495 for Tech Pack + £120 for the Colour DIS) to the SE. Quite a bit more to spend than using my existing TomTomXL for hiding a short piece of single wire. Also as the PGPSW databased is updated at least once a month it is very easy to un-clip the TomTom from it's mount and take in indoors to connect to my pc to do the updates.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is sat nav related. My order is as in my sig, technology pack with MMI Plus,will the Colour DIS come as standard with my car?
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    I put my iphone in a cup holder mount using Navigon so the instructions are sent via Bluetooth to the radio unit.
    you can't see the wire but it's a bit of a pain if you look down to the map..

Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is sat nav related. My order is as in my sig, technology pack with MMI Plus,will the Colour DIS come as standard with my car?
    According to the latest Pricing and Spec Guide from Audi the Colour DIS is standard on the Sport, S-Line and S3.
    cuke2u likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Quote Originally Posted by yetirider View Post
    I put my iphone in a cup holder mount using Navigon so the instructions are sent via Bluetooth to the radio unit.
    you can't see the wire but it's a bit of a pain if you look down to the map..
    Where I have my Tom Tom mounted it is almost at normal drive eye-level. Most of the time I just rely on the spoken instruction but the illustrations on the screen can be useful for complex roundabouts and junctions especially as it zooms in automatically at these. I followed a car the other day which had a 10" tablet in a mount on the top of the dash which seemed a bit OTT.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    According to the latest Pricing and Spec Guide from Audi the Colour DIS is standard on the Sport, S-Line and S3.
    Thanks for your reply, just checked for myself and you are right.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

If anyone is interesting in attaching a cable to the fuse box on a new A3 and running the wire to the drivers side for a Sat/Nav etc here is a link to a good guide of how to do it from the Golf VII GTi forum - GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

It must be much the same for the A3.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    All of this talk about smartphone or tomtom vs integrated factory nav seems to be all based around a theory that cheap = good.

I'm all for saving a few quid but integrated nav is simply better. No-one has mentioned the built in gyroscopes, connection to the wheel sensors, auto dimming when the lights are on, integration with the DIS, steering wheel, voice control from wheel, auto attenuation of the volume when giving directions etc etc.

Yes it costs but if you can afford it it's worth it. Could I get from a to b cheaper? Sure. As nice? No.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think this just comes for affordability.

If you can afford to spec this whether youll use it or not. get it! if like me this is a company car and you have to pay an extra £400 for a extra on a car i dont own, use a garmin! i brought one on ebay for £80 with digital traffic data, europe & lifetime updates.

would i prefer the integration? yes, do i want to blow £400? hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne51 View Post
    I think this just comes for affordability.

If you can afford to spec this whether youll use it or not. get it! if like me this is a company car and you have to pay an extra £400 for a extra on a car i dont own, use a garmin! i brought one on ebay for £80 with digital traffic data, europe & lifetime updates.

would i prefer the integration? yes, do i want to blow £400? hell no!
    Yes £400 extra is not that much but to get the same as my TomTom I would have to spent a further £1600 before I can get a system that I can add my own information and speed camera locations.
    JohnnyM100 likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)

3rd Gear

Status
    Yes £400 extra is not that much but to get the same as my TomTom I would have to spent a further £1600 before I can get a system that I can add my own information and speed camera locations.
    Why the obsession with speed camera locations? Would you normally speed when they're not around?
    (Not specifically aimed at you, just curious why people in general need to know)

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Why the obsession with speed camera locations? Would you normally speed when they're not around?
    My problem is trusting a database of speed cameras... I'd much rather keep my eye on the road and look for the darned things than rely on a database.

I tend to do what I think the road is capable of rather than strictly the speed limit That may be above or below the legal limit, depending on the road (for example: we have a dual carriageway, with Arnco barriers that is completely straight for 1 mile yet the speed limit is 50 close to me).. Why? Simply because of this: Restoring Speed Limit Credibility | NMA

A quote from there (which is supported by a number of studies should you wish to search from them)

What to do has been well known since the 1940's. You tend to get the best overall safety, the smoothest traffic flow, the most appropriate choice of road types, etc. when limits are set at the 85th-90th percentile speed of free-flowing traffic.

Reverse Gear

Status
    If speeding is the issue the cruise control option is a bit cheaper than the nav

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post

Yes it costs but if you can afford it it's worth it. Could I get from a to b cheaper? Sure. As nice? No.
    As nice........... ? Jaguar xkr / Audi r8 = better. :-D

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

(Not specifically aimed at you, just curious why people in general need to know)
    My Sat/Nav just gives a 'beep-beep' to remind me that there is a camera in a using 50 or 60mph area when basically the road is quite capable of handling traffic a a great speed. Near me on the main A1 dual-carriageway there are several 50 and 60 limits that are totally out of place and it would be very easy to not to notice them.

The database I have loaded is supplied by Personal GPS World and is updated at approximately 2-3 weekly intervals by the users of the database submitting any new camera location or cameras removed. I have been using it for many years and having submitted a camera change about a year ago I now have a free subscription for life. This is how they encourage users to submit information which is then checked out before it is included. It is widely regarded as the most accurate camera location database around. With my 170hp A3 I often drive in excess of the speed limit on open roads. Unless you drive around at a fairly leisurely pace you can easily fall foul of a camera. I purchased my current TomTom unit about 4 years ago for £100 which is the same as the current fine for driving over the speed limit and would hate to be without it.
    Dave R (h5djr)

1st Gear

Status
    Lot of opinions here but at the end of the day you pay your money and take your choice, like choosing red or blue.

For me, I like the integrated system and glad I spec'd it. Have a TomTom too which the missus uses now. They're fine, but still prefer the integration of the MMI.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

5th Gear

Status
    I'm just going to keep this simple........ I drove 2500 miles around Europe in mine and the sat nav was brilliant, never let me down once!

Sean
    RobbieWebs likes this.
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

5th Gear

Status
    Yep! I have toured Europe in our z4 with ancient built in Nav but it still worked and worked well. Especially in all the tunnels in Switzerland which are miles and miles long. Never missed a beat.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

3rd Gear

Status
    As a law-abiding citizen surely you don't care about speed camera locations.
    oh please
    the_lecht_rocks and RobH_S3 like this.

Banned

Status
    I sense those with Tom Toms are justifying having them because some have speed camera warnings. For those who are in the habit of driving too fast ( not to be encouraged) there are other products available which not only tell you about the permanent cameras but also mobile/ radar. In France such things are illegal but in Brittany I noticed that over 50 static cameras have been destroyed by vigilantes called chapeau rouge . Whilst most would agree their cars are crap I have to admire the French spirit when they think something is unfair!!

I sense those with Tom Toms are justifying having them because some have speed camera warnings. For those who are in the habit of driving too fast ( not to be encouraged) there are other products available which not only tell you about the permanent cameras but also mobile/ radar. In France such things are illegal but in Brittany I noticed that over 50 static cameras have been destroyed by vigilantes called chapeau rouge . Whilst most would agree their cars are crap I have to admire the French spirit when they think something is unfair!!
    I think actual radar detectors are illegal and not a great deal of use because the police often site mobile van so that by the time the detector has picked up the signal they have already 'clocked' the car. TomTom and other units that use the PGPSW database can also be set to beep at sites used by mobile cameras vans but that generally means they are beeping almost constantly. Most of the devices other than normal Sat/Nav devices are also much more expensive. Even having a Sat/Nav that gives camera locations is illegal in France, but according to the latest copy of the PGPSW database there are only 3,015 cameras in France compare with 13,006 in the UK with a further 2,052 sites pending. Germany has just 416. I must admit I am surprised that so few cameras get vandalised in this country as we have some many more than any other county to choose from.

As far as driving too fast is concerned Personally I never drive too fast - for the road and conditions, but that does not mean that I don't go faster than some arbitrary numerical number imposed by some local authority who is more interested in making money. When I was 'caught' recently doing 34mph on a stretch of road that should be at least 40mph ie wide, 3 lanes, wide verges, no junctions, no houses etc I was given the chance to take part in the latest money making exercise - a speed awareness course. These courses have only started since the camera partnerships were no longer allowed to keep the money from speeding fines. The fine has to be paid the central government so they now get round this by offering these courses, charging more than the fine and keeping all the cash. I told them I would rather the money went to the government than be used to finance more cameras and just paid the fine.
    Last edited by h5djr; 24th November 2013 at 09:13.
    Dave R (h5djr)

5th Gear

Status
    I must admit I am surprised that so few cameras get vandalised in this country. We have some many more than any other county to choose from.

As far as driving too fast is concerned Personally I never drive too fast - for the road and conditions, but that does not mean that I don't go faster than some arbitrary numerical number imposed by some local authority who is more interested in making money. When I was 'caught' recently doing 34mph on a stretch of road that should be at least 40mph ie wide, 3 lanes, wide verges, no junctions, no houses etc I was given the chance to take part in the latest money making exercise - a speed awareness course. These courses have only started since the camera partnerships were no longer allowed to keep the money from speeding fines. The fine has to be paid the central government so they now get round this by offering these courses, charging more than the fine and keeping all the cash. I told them I would rather the money went to the government than be used to finance more cameras and just paid the fine.
    seeing more and more of this now mate, in Nottingham they have recently lowered nearly all the national speed limit roads 2/3 lanes wide to 50 or even 40 mph! Getting ridiculous.........one route in particular to North Nottingham has increased my journey time by 12 minutes minimum as they added average cameras to the whole route!

Sean

6th Gear

Status
    Whether, or whether not, speed camera's are justified, and personally I believe that they are as it has been proved they save lives. Many of us have smartphones that have equally as good free sat nav available that will adequately do the job of getting you to your destination and are updated regularly to show speed camera's, road works and traffic jams. I have my own reasons for getting the MMI Plus upgrade, I am a IT geek and I like my toys too...

2nd Gear

Status
    I was given the chance to take part in the latest money making exercise - a speed awareness course.
    I went on one of those a few years ago. I found it quite funny and spent the afternoon finding holes, inaccuracies and misleading statements in their pre-prepared presentation. I think they were quite glad to see the back of me...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Whether, or whether not, speed camera's are justified,
    There is no question - they ARE justified - but only in the right places. Unfortunately, there's a lot that are not in the right place....

Quote Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
    There is no question - they ARE justified - but only in the right places. Unfortunately, there's a lot that are not in the right place....
    I agree completely. Some are there for the right reasons and some purely there to make money. I really don't know how Germany survives with only 416 cameras!!!
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    Germany has more than double the number of fatal road accidents than in the uk. In 2012 that country also has 4.4 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants compared to the UK which had 2.75...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast