Volks AutosBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jet_andy

Thread: Why are my foglights H8 and not H11?

1st Gear

Status

Why are my foglights H8 and not H11?

Without getting back into the debate on different colour foglights and when and where to use them...etc etc

I bought some H11s to upgrade the standard bulbs, only to find when I removed the lamps that there are 35W H8s originally fitted, and the lamp fitting clearly states H8.

As we know, the handbook - and everywhere else you look - states H11.

H8 and H11 are very similar, it is the locating tabs that differ slightly. Whilst I probably could make them fit, not sure I want to hack at the fittings, and I'm curious as to why the anomaly??

Although I have now spent out on a pair of H11 that I would like to use...
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    That's bit worrying as also bought a pair of H11's from the guy on here but have not got round to fitting them yet,
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

The ETKA parts catalogue shows then as being an H8 bulb - H8-12v-35w.

The previous 8P model like my 2012 Sportback uses an H11 bulb. Perhaps someone forgot to update the Owner's Manual.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

5th Gear

Status
    Dave, thanks, looks like I will need to get a refund or exchange on my bulbs then.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Mmmm...anyone with an 8P want to by a pair of H11s...??
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

5th Gear

Status
    Following a conversation with T8UPS ( member and site sponsor here) he can confirm that the new 8V's should all have H8 fog light bulbs, having already come across the difference in reality to whats in EKTA and the manual.

Apparently it is only a slight difference in one of the pins, which can be modified with a pair of pliers.

T8UPS is going to send me a diagram and I will post up on the FAQ's when received.

Personally I am going for a replacement set of bulbs rather than mod the H11's I have got

1st Gear

Status
    I'd had thought about trimming the different tab - think I'll give it a try. H11's will only collect dust in the garage otherwise.
    and Sport Suspension

1st Gear

Status
    For anyone that's bought H11s and can't change them it's real easy to make them fit. Just need a sharp pair of side-cutters, and trim a tiny bit off one side of the larger tab on the H11 bulb. You'll see where by comparing with the H8 bulb. Took me 2 minutes and H11's are in and working.
    Smythy likes this.
    and Sport Suspension