Why are my foglights H8 and not H11?

jet_andy

Reaction score
Without getting back into the debate on different colour foglights and when and where to use them...etc etc

I bought some H11s to upgrade the standard bulbs, only to find when I removed the lamps that there are 35W H8s originally fitted, and the lamp fitting clearly states H8.

As we know, the handbook - and everywhere else you look - states H11.

H8 and H11 are very similar, it is the locating tabs that differ slightly. Whilst I probably could make them fit, not sure I want to hack at the fittings, and I'm curious as to why the anomaly??

Although I have now spent out on a pair of H11 that I would like to use...

That's bit worrying as also bought a pair of H11's from the guy on here but have not got round to fitting them yet,

The ETKA parts catalogue shows then as being an H8 bulb - H8-12v-35w.

The previous 8P model like my 2012 Sportback uses an H11 bulb. Perhaps someone forgot to update the Owner's Manual.

Dave, thanks, looks like I will need to get a refund or exchange on my bulbs then.

Following a conversation with T8UPS ( member and site sponsor here) he can confirm that the new 8V's should all have H8 fog light bulbs, having already come across the difference in reality to whats in EKTA and the manual.

Apparently it is only a slight difference in one of the pins, which can be modified with a pair of pliers.

T8UPS is going to send me a diagram and I will post up on the FAQ's when received.

Personally I am going for a replacement set of bulbs rather than mod the H11's I have got

I'd had thought about trimming the different tab - think I'll give it a try. H11's will only collect dust in the garage otherwise.

For anyone that's bought H11s and can't change them it's real easy to make them fit. Just need a sharp pair of side-cutters, and trim a tiny bit off one side of the larger tab on the H11 bulb. You'll see where by comparing with the H8 bulb. Took me 2 minutes and H11's are in and working.

Reactions: Smythy