• 1 Post By the_lecht_rocks
  • 1 Post By Stevieb2905

Thread: Cycle carrier - s3 SB

5th Gear

Status

Cycle carrier - s3 SB

Hi all

Thoughts please

I've not ordered rails on my new sportback on purpose as I don't like the look of them but am used to using my two Thule 591 carriers on roof bars on our MINI.

What realistic options are there for cycle carrying on the s3 SB?

I know I could get some roof bars for it and then use my 591s, but I'm a bit concerned about fuel consumption as we tend to do long journeys on the motorway when taking the bikes out (300 miles each way to Cornwall a lot!)

carry them inside is maybe possible some of the time but we do have a Collie dog so she would usually take up the boot.

Rear mounted carrier?? This is where I get lost as I have never owned one and don't know if it would work with the roof spoiler etc?

Is the s3 roof spoiler the same as the a3 sline one?

cheers
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You should spec roof rails, its your easiest option trust me & I think the cost of fuel is negligible tbh when you consider the car you've ordered.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You should spec roof rails, its your easiest option trust me & I think the cost of fuel is negligible tbh when you consider the car you've ordered.
    ABSOLUTELY !

The rails ARE the reason I ordered the SB as opposed to the 3dr. Dealer has thrown the rails and audi wing bars onto my deal as well as he knows how keen cyclists and skiers we are

6th Gear

Status
    You don't need the roof rails to fit the bars though, so order the rails if you think they look good, pretty much no other reason to.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    You don't need the roof rails to fit the bars though, so order the rails if you think they look good, pretty much no other reason to.
    without the the rails though, the bars fit flush on the roof which make them a ballache to fit and remove, as well as marking the roof....
    NHN likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Nigal, I wish I had the roof rails on my SB. Can it be retrofitted?

6th Gear

Status
    Someone on here said it was £1000+ as they have to take the headlining out and screw up through the roof. I find it hard to believe that would come to that cost though.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    Nigal, I wish I had the roof rails on my SB. Can it be retrofitted?
    My dealer told us they would retrofit for the same price as the options back in 2008..

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    You don't need the roof rails to fit the bars though, pretty much no other reason to.
    Sorry but I totally disagree with this logic.

Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    without the the rails though, the bars fit flush on the roof which make them a ballache to fit and remove, as well as marking the roof....
    This is the reason why, I am in total agreement with this, as I've experienced it myself, the hassle of fitting & making sure its tight enough & safe, against just fitting onto the sturdy rails the cars can come with is fair difference, also I've seen foot packs mark the paint & of course if done too tight can dent, for me its not a system I trust, from personal experience.

For me the low profile these rails have now, its not exactly sticking up enough to affect the roof line, but the advantage of clamp on & knowing its allot safer for me is worth allot.

6th Gear

Status
    Fair enough, didn't know it did that without the rails

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I've supplied/fitted some & its not a 5 minute job, you have to be very precise, remove lining, make sure drilled properly, no metal filings on paintwork, make sure watertight, various things to be aware of, let alone the rails costing £500 alone, so £1k isn't far of tbh.

2nd Gear

Status
    I've supplied/fitted some & its not a 5 minute job, you have to be very precise, remove lining, make sure drilled properly, no metal filings on paintwork, make sure watertight, various things to be aware of, let alone the rails costing £500 alone, so £1k isn't far of tbh.
    i know its not a easy job to do, my SB is going to stay with me for the next 10 years and I want to be 100% happy with it when I see it and drive it. It might be my list of things to add if I get around to retro fitting all the other options.

Does anyone know how much this would cost at dealer price when ordering (from new) from Audi?

3rd Gear

Status
    Rails are a £250 option in chrome or black.

1st Gear

Status
    For me the low profile these rails have now, its not exactly sticking up enough to affect the roof line, but the advantage of clamp on & knowing its allot safer for me is worth allot.
    I can see the roof rails being simpler to use, but I would argue about them being safer.

My current A1 has Audi roof bars, and they way they fit are very safe. They secure around the main door frame and hook into a hole so they are fixed at a single point in the car. Once the door is closed the mechanism is then secured again with the door seel, you also cant close the door if the mechanism isnt tightly secured.

The mechanism as with all mechanisms from decent companies uses a torque rachet to secure the set tightness so it shouldnt damage the roof. I just tighten the boly until it clicks at the exact amount of pressure needed.

Roof rails are much simpler for the job, and thats why many cars and suvs and off roaders have them to make using the roof easier, adding the around the door type is a bit of a faf. But the car is designed to have under door fittings, thats why there is a hole in the door frame and on the three door versions a two little arrows at the top of the window for the fitting of the bars, both of which are a pain compared to using bars which let you stick the bars where you want and how you want.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

1st Gear

Status
    I would fit a removable towbar and get a Thule rack for that. I've had roof mounted, with and without rails, which are OK but they definitely create alot of drag and affect the cars cornering as well as fuel consumption.
    I would steer clear of boot/tailgate mounted as they invariably loosen off and can damage the paint, nearly lost a mountainbike off the back of my XR3.
    Towbar mounts are solid and easy to fix, keep the bikes more sheltered and don't seem to have much of an effect on handling. Downside is the cost of the bar but PF Jones fit Westfalia and are a lot cheaper than Audi and would probably be cheaper than retrofitting roof rails.

Forgot to mention, they don't slow you down either!
    Last edited by Stevieb2905; 10th November 2013 at 20:57.
    the_lecht_rocks likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Tow bar on an s3 could be tricky due to the quad exhaust. Audi don't offer it..
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    Tow bar on an s3 could be tricky due to the quad exhaust. Audi don't offer it..
    Bummer, might still be worth a phone call though