Black square on wing mirrors

Itguy

Reaction score
I've noticed on some S3 (and maybe on others?) wing mirrors that there is a black square on the inner edge.

Is this on all mirror variants or is it for something specific like the blind spot warning or something?

If you don't have blind spot warning is the black square still there? Just looks a bit ugly!

Ahh - so as I've not ordered side assist I presume I won't get the black square?

Ahh - so as I've not ordered side assist I presume I won't get the black square?

That's correct. If you've ordered the Audi Side-Assist system, those small black squares are on the inside of the wing mirrors will be present and have a series of LEDs which illuminate / flash if there is someone in your blindspot.

If you have not ordered these, the wing mirror caps do not feature the squares.

Hope this clarifies!

I don't know whether the squares are there or not on a car without Side Assist (eg, all cars have the button pieces on the door handles, whether you have advanced keys or not - easier than making several different parts), but that's what they are for

M_D_O_London is right.

No side assist = no squares on the face of the mirror housing just by the mirror mounting, just solid body colour plastic.

This is separate from the indicator repeater square on the other side of the mirror though as everyone has that.

John.

Yeh, that's just a continuation of the indicator strip across the front of the mirror, it's a neat design